Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I need your opinions (Read 9 times)
mavrik

Toronto
I need your opinions
09/27/06 at 16:48:44

I love my Savage, problem is on the highway it's too light. Never feel comfortable over 60mph. My question is I have been looking at going to Harley for a highway bike. The Savage is great in town but being a new rider I don't have the stability that I need on the highway. Talk me into keeping the Savage maybe with some mods or I'm going to the Dyna. "man I sound like a terrorist" Cheers love the site.

WWW   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Re: I need your opinions
Reply #1 - 09/27/06 at 17:19:55

I thought really hard about the Street Bob.  The thing is, for me,  more time on the bike equals more comfort.  I got in about 9K miles this year.  Relax the arms, hug w/ the knees.  I found that as I lost the death grip on the handle bars I got much more stable.  Sure you don't have the weight of a Dyna on the highway.   But you don't have the weight of a Dyna for tight turns either which are tricker w/ a bigger bike.  I'd hang in there w/ the Savage.  

The other thing to evaluate is how much time will you really be spending on the highways on long trips?  If 80 to 90 percent of your time on the bike is on longs trips it might make sense to go for a bigger bike.  

Even then, for me at least, there is always the alure of the next bike.  

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 09/27/06 at 17:44:46

Work up to it.  Keep riding until you do feel comfy at 60 mph...  I rode mine cross country and back safely... after a year of riding... and I second what bikingb said...   where will most of yr riding be?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/27/06 at 17:47:55

hgwy pegs, drivers backrest,super brace(was a post in the classified section for machinist fabbed brace =less $)
have mine past 80 a few times 62 seems to be the sweet spot...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #4 - 09/27/06 at 18:25:31

Actually, mine smooths out around 75.  Shakes like all get out from about 60-65.  Bigger foot-pegs helped that.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 09/28/06 at 02:38:24

I have a supertrapp, no carb mods . I just rode a 400 mile trip on Interstate I5 in Oregon and cruised most of it at 65 to 75 the whole trip. Crossed the country this spring and early summer and a good share of the ride was above 65. Seems about the only thing that goes slower than that in the midwest is the farm tractors. Cant speak for the others, but mine rides nice and flat , and I feel perfectly safe at these speeds, even on this light bike. Rode thru 3 states with high cross winds and it handled it well too. You need to get out and take a long ride on a freeway. By the way at 70 I still have plenty of acceration for passing cars Smiley

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/28/06 at 04:16:07

Mine was all over the road in light winds but suspension upgrades helped alot. Still, if I did a lot of long highway rides I'd be looking for something heavier.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #7 - 09/28/06 at 07:14:42

i ride both, the savage(hers) is light, has a narrow girth, and low saddle height, which are it's advantages at slow speeds, slow manuvers, entry level skills/abilities, and its light weight is a slight disadvantage at highway speeds, and in winds. although debby and many other riders run the savage at 70mph all day long, on the highways and interstates, without difficulty.  the fxr/dyna(mine) is heavier,  which is a great advantage on the highway, but is less forgiving at slow speeds/ stop light riding. i ride mine everyday all year, and never consider riding hers unless mine is down or she wants me to check hers for an issue. i would suggest that you ride the savage until you're comfortable with it, everywhere! because your rider discomfort will be pronounced on a heavier bike at slower speeds, which is really harder to ride than open highway,  that is why they emphasize slow rider skills in the msf course. you may be able to test ride a dyna at your local HD dealer, and see if you're up to the extra weight, some riders develop faster than others. everything is a compromise.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #8 - 09/28/06 at 08:41:52

Thanks Everybody for your heartfelt input. that's why I love this site. I am going to keep Suzi Q. I only started riding this June, never rode before, so the highway is something I need to get used to.Since I can see some of you ride it all the time, I believe with more experience it won't be such a uncomfortable place. Highway is only about 20% of my riding now. hopefully it will become alot more. I wanna get a Harley muffler so I can get that rumble all the real bikes have. I have kids that http:can't wait till their 16 so they can ride, and the Suzi is perfect for learners. Since I just saved about $16000 from buying the Harley Dyna, first rounds on me Cheers Here's a pic  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/683840/

WWW   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/28/06 at 10:40:24

Hi Mavrik,
As I have mentioned before on this sight,back in the 50s
a 125cc bike was considered a decent bike to learn on,next you would go to a 250 or a 350  more people rode 350s than any other size, a 500cc bike was considered HUGE ,this was in England where a decent 350 had no problem cruising @ 70mph, most 500s could do the magic ton,there were a few guys who rode bigger bikes but they themselves were huge,a 650 cc
would be considered just a waist of gas for the few extra mph.
Harley Davidson has created the myth that bigger is better,also to take into consideration is the fact that the average American is bigger than the average Englishman,(must be the wonder bread) my 5' 7" is considerd average, Policemen and firemen have to be six foot tall to qualify for the job,
thats why every week you see a full page ad in the paper for firemen and cops.
Anyway,  I love my Savage on all roads and highways,I am adding a tour tank as we speak,just got to hook up the plumbing,I'm getting it ready for next year for my 3000 mile tour,  It does have a Harley muffler, makes a great sound,keep the Savage!

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #10 - 09/29/06 at 05:27:35

Is your Savage newer and in proper repair? You didn't mention how many highway miles you have under your wheels. Are your tires in good shape and properly matched? Have you ridden a Harley a bunch on the highway and are sure you find an improvement, or are you just going by what you have heard? If you have a fair number of miles (I would say over 5K this year) and personally find the Harley an improvement I'd say go for it or some other big cruiser. Otherwise more experience might prevent you from jumping from the frying pan into the fire so to speak.

Sorry, somehow I missed your second post. Anyway I guess the comments are still valid. Anyway if you haven't already, you might want to have someone with experience double check your rubber and MC to make sure there isn't something wrong with your ride.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 09/29/06 at 06:27:55

This is the lightest street bike I've ever owned and for the first few months it was disconcerting riding it in heavier winds.  After a while I became accustomed to it though.  It is still more susceptible to gusts than a heavier bike but I'm okay with it.  It's light weight contributes to its nimbleness (is that a word?) and I love that.  My advice is that if it truly makes you uncomfortable, you should get a heavier bike.  If you're uptight about your steed, you either won't ride or you'll be uncomfortable when you do.  Either way, you won't enjoy it.  If you're just not sure, give it some time to see how you feel about it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/29/06 at 07:03:19

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
nimbleness (is that a word?)

No man, it's nimblicity.  
Grin 8)

IP Logged
pmanntex
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/29/06 at 09:50:47

I've had several   friends recommend a HD sportser or dyna to me but found their  balance/center of gravity and ergonomics to be incompatible.

I too have noticed that vibrations on the Savage can occur at narrow speed bans at 60+  and then go away with higher speeds.  Some days they don't seem to exist at all---lots of factors at play such as tire pressure/balance, ambient temp/humidity (living in houston, body buffets from turbulence with humidity swings), etc.  

I'd be curious if any folks who have rejetted/increased their HP would comment on seeing any difference regarding changes/elimination in these vibration bans ???

As indicated in another thread, I'm seriously contemplating going up to a S50 to have a little more upper range without sacrificing nimbleness.   Some days in Houston you're riding at 80 mph, holding up hwy traffic,  and then . . . putt-putting at 5mph in stop and go!  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 09/29/06 at 12:26:44

Personally, I think the fork brace (mine is the Superbrace brand) increased stability quite a bit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:14:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need your opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.