Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: I need your opinions
Reply #15 - 09/29/06 at 13:21:42

pmanntex wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I'd be curious if any folks who have rejetted/increased their HP would comment on seeing any difference regarding changes/elimination in these vibration bans ???

I've got mods and notice no vibrations at all. Mine's smooth up to top speed. Check your tires and/or wheel balance.

IP Logged
curlyhairgirl
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/30/06 at 19:46:23

I feel the same way as you Mavrik.  I started riding in May...never rode before...the Savage is a great first bike.  

I went on a long trip this summer and found it a bit uncomfortable and the weight issue really bothered me on the main highways.  When I got back from my road trip I had decided I was going to get rid of the Savage and get a Harley or something heavier for next year.  However, upon further thought I decided that was not the smartest move.  I decided to make sure I was really comfortable on my Savage before moving up to a heavier bike.  

Since I discovered this website, I have really grown to love my Savage.  The people here are great and they make me feel proud to own one.

To solve my discomfort issue I have ordered small floorboards for it and now I feel I may keep the Savage until she can't run anymore.  I have put 6000km on it this summer and I am loving every minute of it.

I also find my wind/transport truck problems are not as stressful as they were when I first started riding.  Experience on the bike really does help.  I can cruise along at 120km/hr now when that would have scared me half to death before.

Maybe someday I'll own a Harley but for now I'm loving my Savage.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #17 - 10/01/06 at 14:15:27

I am on my 4th season Riding my Savage ... have thought about moving up to an S50 or a Sporty or a Bonneville many times ... and just as many times I have decided not to ... 'cause every time I Ride my LS, I love her even more!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #18 - 10/01/06 at 14:27:21

Hi Mavrik, I'm a new rider and got my '95 Savage in August. Yesterday I had occasion to take it on I93 and put it up to 70 and was surprised that I had a lot more to go. It was as I suspected though, lots of vibration in the hands and feet. The images in the mirrors reminded of way back when after a hard night of clubbing how all the girls looked kind of fuzzy at closing time. I settled back between 60 - 65 mph. It was tolerable. My bike is stock for now. I can tell you that a month ago, that I would not have gone that fast, as my confidence level just would not allow it. I would suggest living with the bike for while as I suspect your confidence on the bike will grow as it has for me. There was a time when I thought going 45 was more than enough, and I had no problem staying within the speed limit. Now I have to make sure that the speed limit and I are not at cross purposes. Ride safe.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #19 - 10/01/06 at 17:39:50

I know you have read the other replies but I just wanted to convey that all motorcycles suffer from semi vortex. Its something you deal with when you are on the highway.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #20 - 10/01/06 at 17:46:21

"Lose the Death Grip", That was me for awhile on hiways because of the vibration. Once I started doing my own maintenance and tightening the foot pegs, muffler mounts, and mirrors alot of the vibration ceased. I am more confident on those roads, I know when I'm setting myself up for a scare and "the Grip" is gone. I can easily do 70. I can go faster, I don't want to pay the fines though. The control around here is tight.
Relax and enjoy the ride.
BTW After another 10k of experience with Miss Suzi Q I'll bet You could take any "real bike" in the twisties and walk away from them or match them corner for corner. Just wait you'll seee. Weeeeee!!!!!

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 10/02/06 at 12:23:49

Fido_the_Cat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
BTW After another 10k of experience with Miss Suzi Q I'll bet You could take any "real bike" in the twisties and walk away from them or match them corner for corner. Just wait you'll seee. Weeeeee!!!!!

I'd bet that any experienced rider on a sportbike would have an advantage in the twisties but I still don't feel as comfortable on that style bike.  It's just not me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #22 - 10/02/06 at 20:02:10

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I'd bet that any experienced rider on a sportbike would have an advantage in the twisties but I still don't feel as comfortable on that style bike.  It's just not me.

Advantage doesn't really begin to describe it. I'm not sure if Fido was referring to sport bikes or even sport tourers as "real bike"(s), but don't put anything down on the Savage that you can't afford to lose against one of those. Grin A rider with equal experience on a goldwing will leave you wondering where they went as well.  Shocked

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #23 - 10/03/06 at 20:42:42

A lot's been said already.  I would like to just add that you give yourself a set time to get to know the bike.  Say to yourself, "I'm going to ride my savage until (some date or odometer reading) then I'll see if I really want a HD".  I think once you've gained experience and mileage you will find that getting on a heavier bike may leave you wanting you Savage back.

Also, anyone can learn to ride fast on the freeway.  But learning to handle a bike when your life depends on it is what matters.  There have been many times I've been very thankful for a light, nimble bike...and not just because I love to ride it on the mountain roads.

I think there should be a law against selling a newbie a heavy bike with a big engine.  But that's what you get when you go to a stealership.  I went in the other day looking at the new Kawasaki 900.  He said I wouldn't be happy with it because the engine is too small and that I should get a 1600 or 2000.  I told him I had a Suzuki Savage and cruise on the freeway at 70.  What would I NEED a 2000cc for?  Oh..that's right...the bigger the engine the bigger your commission.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #24 - 10/06/06 at 08:17:39

Yeah, having to deal with winds that can push you around is an issue at highway speeds, but I feel safer on my Savage despite the wind factor.

Why? Because I know that in an emergency situation, I can stop faster and maneuver better on my lightweight Savage than I could on a heavy Harley.

Just another factor you might want to consider.

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:42:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need your opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.