Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Belt Pulley
Reply #45 - 10/10/06 at 06:54:14

This is my 1st with a belt and I love it.  Back in the mid 80's, a friend had a Honda (350 Four, I think) that had a belt drive and it was my first experience with one.  Seemed good then and I'm sold now.  I may try to pick up a spare on eBay at some point too.  Another thought: I would definitely expect less damage from throwing a belt than a chain.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 10/10/06 at 06:57:16

I second that.  Whenever you guys find that supplier, let us know!

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #47 - 10/13/06 at 14:03:51

UPDATE:  It is with a heavy heart that I announce Scootworks has no belt/pulleys for re-gearing or replacing the Savage stockers.

If I can find a shorter belt from some supplier, I'll look into fabrication costs for a new rear pulley.  Again, like anything else, if we got a BUNCH of people committed to buying one it could bring the per-unit cost way down.  Anyone know how to find a shorter belt with the same width and tooth pattern?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #48 - 10/16/06 at 17:54:56

I guess my question is WHY?  My 05 S40 with all the usual mods pulls like a tractor from idle to red-line.  It will nearly haul the ton sitting bolt upright and if I got under the paint, it would clear 100 mph no sweat.  Why fiddle with a system that works this well?

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #49 - 10/16/06 at 18:50:50

Great question Jack!  The real answer is...it depends!
It depends on what you want.  For me, I've had some pretty fast bikes in my day, bikes that would do 0-60 in 3 sec or less.  I'm just not interested in that kind of thing anymore.  I want a bike that lopes along at 70 mph and doesn't sound like I'm trying to break land-speed records doing it.  A single-cylinder bike is the proverbial loping engine with the torque to back it up.  I'd like 2500-3000 rpms (less if I thought it were reasonable) at cruising speed which would turn the lowly Savage into a touring machine.  Big bike guys won't readily admit it, but the real thing that makes a comfy touring bike is a comfy rpm on the highway that doesn't produce a bunch of vibrations and sound.

If, on the other-hand you want to use the high torque/low rpm thumper for quick acceleration don't change a single thing!  You've already found the machine for you.   Smiley

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #50 - 10/17/06 at 11:31:36

barb36jack31 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I guess my question is WHY?  My 05 S40 with all the usual mods pulls like a tractor from idle to red-line.  It will nearly haul the ton sitting bolt upright and if I got under the paint, it would clear 100 mph no sweat.  Why fiddle with a system that works this well?

Jack H.

Well, it sounds like you're pretty satisfied.  If that's true, there's no reason to fix what ain't broke.  For me, it's just a tinkering thing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 10/17/06 at 14:20:08

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Great question Jack!  The real answer is...it depends!
It depends on what you want.  For me, I've had some pretty fast bikes in my day, bikes that would do 0-60 in 3 sec or less.  I'm just not interested in that kind of thing anymore.  I want a bike that lopes along at 70 mph and doesn't sound like I'm trying to break land-speed records doing it.  A single-cylinder bike is the proverbial loping engine with the torque to back it up.  I'd like 2500-3000 rpms (less if I thought it were reasonable) at cruising speed which would turn the lowly Savage into a touring machine.  Big bike guys won't readily admit it, but the real thing that makes a comfy touring bike is a comfy rpm on the highway that doesn't produce a bunch of vibrations and sound.

If, on the other-hand you want to use the high torque/low rpm thumper for quick acceleration don't change a single thing!  You've already found the machine for you.   Smiley

I couldn't have said it better.. It's all in what you want.  I would like for my S40 to run 70-75 without turning 4500 rpm.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #52 - 10/17/06 at 15:02:29

jmerry wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I couldn't have said it better.. It's all in what you want.  I would like for my S40 to run 70-75 without turning 4500 rpm.  

Tell that to my shaft drive V* !

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #53 - 10/23/06 at 12:41:19

BTW

Something that just MIGHT fit the savage as a smaller rear "sprocket" (after some drilling and welding a la McGyver that is) is one of those wheels from those old style pulley ventilator systems.

You know, a bunch of celling fans all interconnected by leather belts & pulleys but all ran by one electric motor mounted elsewhere on the wall. A real hoot to watch´em spinning too.

http://www.architecturalfans.com/  
See under "Motor & lineshaft"

Or maybe some kind of automotive fan wheel, the problem, again, are the teeth.  

I mention this because in my case 1st gear is USELESS, period. And it would be great if 2nd and 3rd could be a little longer, I mean, all that torque has a lot of potential. But I also like better 4th rather that 5th gear for high speeds.

As someone said earlier "this thing pulls like a tractor" so a 10-15% smaller rear "sprocket" would surely make an interesting expetiment.

Then again the problem at high speeds would be wind resistance.  It´s all in the numbers.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:34:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.