Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Belt Pulley
Reply #15 - 09/28/06 at 14:03:19

Yeah, I always forget about that.  So when indicated speed on the freeway each day says 70, it's a bit over 73 in reality.  Of course, as the rubber wears away on the tire, that changes... but that happens on any tire.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 09/28/06 at 16:57:55

Motorcycle speedo's are notorious for overestimating the true speed.  
I have been kind'a assuming my speed to be closer to accurate with the 90 profile tire.

Has anyone here ever tested the savage for MPH accuracy?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #17 - 09/28/06 at 17:48:06

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have been kind'a assuming my speed to be closer to accurate with the 90 profile tire.

Around here sometimes the cops put out a big electronic sign that reads your speed & indicates it in large letters. Last time I rode past one I checked & my speedometer was spot on at 40 mph with my 140/90 tire. Not sure if it's that close at other speeds but I'll be checking it when I can.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #18 - 09/28/06 at 17:49:16

Well according to 1 of those electronic sign that display your current speed on the side of the road with radar gun in it shows that our speedo speed is accurate. But then again how accurate is that radar gun calibrated is another story.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/29/06 at 06:49:03

Who is a good vendor for these jets?  I've seen a link here somewhere...

IP Logged
Enfield_fan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/29/06 at 09:46:31

Elton John says "Talk to Benny."

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #21 - 09/29/06 at 09:49:19

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

I'm my way to work there is a school zone where the local Gendarmes setup one of those Radar signs that tell you how fast your going. When it finally settles down on my bike it says 20 mph which is right on what my speedo is telling me. My bike is stock '95.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/03/06 at 00:33:18

I also matched the Savage against a couple of those "Your Speed Is..." signs & found unlike most bikes it to be pretty accurate (with a "standard/stock" tire on), unlike my other bike which like all BMWs is around 10 mph "flattering" @ about 75 (ie the "speedo," to use an old English nickname, reads 85 mph).

Sure wish it was easier to change around the gearing than it seems to be - I recall messing around to my hearts content with front & back sprockets on a Honda 650 single enduro I owned a few years ago.

still, I think I just want to tinker - I like acceleration &  wouldn't want to lose it & think the top speed on the Savage, considering its weight, is good enough for me.

Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 10/03/06 at 07:11:27

When I put the Veypor on my bike, before removing the stock speedo, I checked it and found the stock speedo to be within +/- 1 mph ... this was with the new 140/90 tire on the rear.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 10/03/06 at 08:00:09

Hey Lancer,

Do you know what parts (p/ns) are needed for a chain drive conversion?  It's been bandided around that sprockets from a DR 650 will fit, but I've not heard anything conclusive.

V

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/03/06 at 08:27:08

A recent-ish survey of speedo accuracy by Bike magazine in the UK found that the most accurate are on the current crop of Triumphs, at just 2% out.  Suzy's are better than Hondas and the worst, surprisingly perhaps, are BMWs, with, as someone else has noticed up to 10% over-reading.  Saying you were misled by your own speedo is not a valid defence against a speeding ticket!

Back on belts and gearing, BMW have a mid-sized belt driven model, the bug-eyed 650CS Scarver.  I tried to track down belt spec and pulley sizes but have so far drawn a blank.  Any ideas?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #26 - 10/03/06 at 14:38:09

I have to completely agree that the primary drive sprockets and chain are the way to attack this problem due to the shear abundance, selection, and cheap price of chains and sprockets.  Anyone know what kind/size these are?  Are they double chains?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #27 - 10/03/06 at 19:22:37

Chain and sprockets would give you a more smoother (dampen vibration) ride. Now think about this! Put on a chain drive that transfers the drive to a roller that rides on the tire. Saw it on a custom builder bike, and discussed it on another forum although unless your friendly with your neighborhood fabricator, chances are this will be an expensive mod.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 10/03/06 at 20:48:33

I have seen the parts on one of the German websites before, but I would have to research that to find it again.  I do not have time tonight but perhaps I can get the info in the moring.
If I forget to do this please remind me later tomorrow.

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hey Lancer,

Do you know what parts (p/ns) are needed for a chain drive conversion?  It's been bandided around that sprockets from a DR 650 will fit, but I've not heard anything conclusive.

V

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #29 - 10/04/06 at 02:47:21

I need to clarify.  The final drive is a belt.  No mnx and actually better vibration dampening than a chain.  However, on the right side, inside the case (haven't been in there yet) should be a chain and sprockets that transmit the power to the belt pulley on the left side.  That chain is sealed and lubricated and should last a LONG time (50,000 miles plus.)    However many of these I've seen are double chain, or even triple chain and sprokets which are way more expensive and less available than singles, but also way more durable.

If you've got 12.5" shocks, on the other hand, a smaller rear pulley may solve some belt guard clearance issues.  Bad thing here is belts are not that common and finding the right length (shorter) belt might be tough even if you could find a pulley that would fit.

If you did jetison the belt drive for a chain drive on a streetbike I'd go with an automatic chain oiler...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:35:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.