Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring - I need help!! (Read 5 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Backfiring - I need help!!
Reply #15 - 09/26/06 at 21:00:09

or a loose battery connection, actually any other critical connection that has vibrated loose.  If you think it is fuel related, I continue to be amazed by what a cople of oz. of SeaFoam does. I have seen a 5+mpg increase since running an ounce a  couple times. Must have had some slightly plugged air bleeds in the carb that the stuff opened up. Also claims to be a winter fuel stablizer. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/27/06 at 00:05:32

a few days ago I had reason to take off my exaust pipe,after replacing it without replacing the header gasket it started backfiring like crazy,also I niticed the copper shim that goes around the header muffler joint was laying on my garage floor ,so that joint is not tight eather, I assume that is the backfiring problem ,on my bike anyway.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 09/27/06 at 03:10:45

I'm betting that Sluggo is still HIGH from all of the smoke created during the making of his BURN-OUT video ...    Grin

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 09/27/06 at 07:37:37

this was prolly my bad.  Sorry folks, not trying to be a troll! Just don't want to scare away new folks...

and sluggo's reply is funny.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #19 - 09/27/06 at 08:50:18

Sluggo !!  You bad dog !! ( slap on the nose with a rolled up news paper )   Back to the dumpster for you !!
Cheesy Grin Wink   heheheheheh

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
cjreid
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/29/06 at 06:50:25

OK guys - thanks for your help.  As to the snide and terse comments - that's ok, I can take it.

But here's the facts:
  1) I know Savages backfire periodically - but they're not supposed to backfire at the rate of 10 times per minute!
  2) I was baffeled because it started so suddenly and was so profuse.
  3) I did a search of this site before I posted my question - the articles I found didn't mention the sudden onset or profussion of backfiring.
  4) My Savage is a 2002, has about 4,500 miles on it, and the only modifications were done by jrm8486 - so it's what he said  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #21 - 09/29/06 at 13:10:47

When I went through my carb I found one passage compleatly blocked !!   Bet you have a passage pluged.. Had some junk in the tank....

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #22 - 09/29/06 at 13:16:59

cjreid wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
here's the facts:
  1) I know Savages backfire periodically - but they're not supposed to backfire at the rate of 10 times per minute!
  2) I was baffeled because it started so suddenly and was so profuse.

Check for a small exhaust leak. Maybe a small crack that is barely visible. Check you carb mounting clamps and rubbers to make sure everything is tight and you have no intake leaks. Check for gas in the vacuum line for your petc0ck.

IP Logged
Enfield_fan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/29/06 at 13:21:04

Here you go:

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/30/06 at 12:19:42

Ho, ho Enfield-fan! (seriously  'twas funny!)

(you must have a sense of humor liking Enfields - they did not have the greatest reputation when they were - still - made in England!)

just kidding on last bit, Enfield-fan - hopefully proving I do have sense of humor too, Sluggo.

however, I obviously have trouble sometimes understanding other's humor (thanks to thumperclone for e-mail for some explanation there), though after hanging around enough (too many?) dumpsters in my time thought I'd have no trouble in that dept!

Grin

IP Logged
cjreid
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 11/06/06 at 08:36:22

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!!!!   Cheesy

I bought the manual and did the things you guys suggested - then....

I took it to a repair shop.  It took them two hours (which cost me $120.00) but the problem turned out to be a loose connection to the stater (spelling?).

Just thought I'd let you know so you can add it to your list of things causing backfiring.

Thanks again for your help. Kiss   CJ

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #26 - 11/06/06 at 08:53:41

Do you know where the connection was located?

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 11/06/06 at 09:39:58

I thought the Lettuce was the only Savage not to backfire until Sunday.  Came to a stop outside the church, tried to raise it up the kerb to the sidewalk to park and spun the rear wheel a bit.  Once over the kerb stopped and hit the kill switch. then BAAANG!!! The biggest backfire ever.  It was like a small bomb going off. Then blessed silence.  An hour or so later started up without a hitch.

BTW Sluggo - you sure you're not English?  That "ironic" humour was bitingly sarcastic enough to have come from this side of the pond.  I wasn't sure which way to read it till the clarification posts.  Ouch!.

For newer posters it is useful to state that they've done the searches but not come up with anything that tackles their specific question.  Being a learning community is to everyone's benefit.  Anyone care to enlighten me as to what the stator is and does.  I remember in Ted Simon's classic round the world on a Triumph odessy, Jupiter's Travels he has trouble at one point with the stator.  I read that nearly 30 years ago and I didn't know what it was then and I'm still as clueless now.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #28 - 11/06/06 at 18:03:21

gens the juice she runs on - alternator more or less

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #29 - 11/06/06 at 21:18:52

Stator looks like this, its under the left crankcase cover. (number 1 on this pic)

The windings on the stationary part (stator) are inside of the moving magnets in the flywheel (rotor).

A typical auto alternator has the rotor with magnets on the inside and the windings (stator) on the outside.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:41:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring - I need help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.