Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring - I need help!! (Read 5 times)
cjreid
Ex Member

Backfiring - I need help!!
09/26/06 at 15:13:49

I've had my Savage for almost a year and I love it.  But... this last Sunday I took it for a ride (about 85 miles one way). On the way up it ran perfectly.  I was with a group, we ate, then headed back.  About 5 minutes into the ride home, my bike began backfiring like crazy.  It sounded like you lit an entire string of fire crackers.  It began loosing power.  The engine continued to run but it felt like the wheels were only "grabbing" spuratically.  I usually use premium gas (and I did Sunday as well) but I stopped and refilled with more premium (just in case). I rode it for another 20 miles but it continued to backfire like a string of firecrackers.  I  then parked it and went back for it with a trailor.  I couldn't think of anything that would "go bad" that fast!  Any ideas?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Backfiring - I need help!!
Reply #1 - 09/26/06 at 15:46:59

All sorts of stuff!

question 1)  Any carb or exhasut mods?
question 2)  Did you check your plug?

edit:  and by this I mean, see if it's fouled, could be caused by sudden float mechanism and seat failur, petc0ck failuree... then check to see that it's sparking.
question 3) (not a question)  Don't use premium gas, use the lowest grade that doesn't cause "pinging."  edit 2:  The stuff I use is not much better thtn pee after a good night of drinking! Roll Eyes
question 4)  Did you check for exhaust leaks?

I'm sure others will chime in...

oh, here's a tip, backfiring is a common problem, so some folks don't reply, or reply snidley and tersely (Usually not a problem...) so put "NEW" or "SUDDEN" in the title.

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/26/06 at 15:58:30

You didn't mention how many miles on her.
Could be a number of things.
Bad gas?
Bad plug or wire?
Rectifier?
Could be mechanical, Cam chain?
I would start with the fuel system.
Then the electrical stuff.
Then (unless it's obvious, do it first) mechanical.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/26/06 at 16:02:16

Check that your petc0ck's vacuum line has no fuel in it.  If there's fuel in it, the vacuum diaphram is leaking gas into the mix.
Also check that your float isn't stuck.
best of luck,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 09/26/06 at 16:11:23

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
s?

I'm sure others will chime in...

oh, here's a tip, backfiring is a common problem, so some folks don't reply, or reply snidley and tersely (Usually not a problem...) so put "NEW" or "SUDDEN" in the title.

snidley:  quit your whining and go out and buy a new bike.   Shocked

tersely: we've talked about this over and over again, do a search dam it.  Grin

or just do the steps listed in the above posts.

enjoy
sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/26/06 at 17:19:47

c'mon now, Sluggo, I know you are a moderator so have to keep site tidy, but please - this is the first entry for this guy - what do you want to do with, in your own words "snidely" & "tersely" - put the guy off the bike & looking @ this site lest he feels we are elitist? (I'd really like to think all you typed was all in jest but...)

not trying to start a feud here but I'm new to site & bike (bought in May & got on site then) & appreciate that searching for some items is a real pain on any site, including this. Any help (mainly from you old Savage hands) you can give others, such as the other people replying here with constructive help, rather than one liners, is what makes this so special to us all.

thanks, george 8)

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 09/26/06 at 18:40:43

cjreid wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I've had my Savage for almost a year and I love it.  But... this last Sunday I took it for a ride (about 85 miles one way). On the way up it ran perfectly.  I was with a group, we ate, then headed back.  About 5 minutes into the ride home, my bike began backfiring like crazy.  It sounded like you lit an entire string of fire crackers.  It began loosing power.  The engine continued to run but it felt like the wheels were only "grabbing" spuratically.  I usually use premium gas (and I did Sunday as well) but I stopped and refilled with more premium (just in case). I rode it for another 20 miles but it continued to backfire like a string of firecrackers.  I  then parked it and went back for it with a trailor.  I couldn't think of anything that would "go bad" that fast!  Any ideas?

What condition is your bike in and what kind of mods have you done?? What kinds of PM do you do for the bike?? You will have to elaborate concerning what you do to keep the bike running and what mods you have performed. We need background. Without that "act of God" comes to mind.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 09/26/06 at 18:53:52

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
c'mon now, Sluggo, I know you are a moderator so have to keep site tidy, but please - this is the first entry for this guy - what do you want to do with, in your own words "snidely" & "tersely" - put the guy off the bike & looking @ this site lest he feels we are elitist? (I'd really like to think all you typed was all in jest but...)

not trying to start a feud here but I'm new to site & bike (bought in May & got on site then) & appreciate that searching for some items is a real pain on any site, including this. Any help (mainly from you old Savage hands) you can give others, such as the other people replying here with constructive help, rather than one liners, is what makes this so special to us all.

thanks, george 8)

geez,  it was a tounge in cheek response, that's why i used the smilies.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #8 - 09/26/06 at 18:58:21

I did the mods on this bike for her,  air pod filter,sportser muffler. I did these about 8 months ago. It was running fine, my guess being she lives too far for me to take a look would be fuel or vacume.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 09/26/06 at 19:03:37

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
geez,  it was a tounge in cheek response, that's why i used the smilies.

not all understand dumpster humor.. to b honest i had to read your post twice to get it..second time was after...well u know..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 09/26/06 at 19:09:36

cjreid wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

age and  mileage??last valve adjustment??
my few guesses:
clogged fuel screen in petc0ck
timing chain or tensioner
BAD gas
fouled plug
air mix screw worked loose
loose plug /wire
bad connection @ cdi/bad cdi
dirty air cleaner
good luck!! let us (sluggo too!!rofl)know what you find we all FEED off each other..geez ..george lighten up..Grin

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/26/06 at 19:44:50

I apologize if I took your tongue in cheek response the wrong way, sir!

george  Embarrassed

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #12 - 09/26/06 at 19:53:26

" Note to self"...Take everything Sluggo says with smileys tounge in cheek. Grin

Don't worry buddy, some of us weren't paying you any mind anyhow. Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Aldergrove, British Columbia
Reply #13 - 09/26/06 at 20:07:33

Don't worry, Sluggo. I got your joke and chuckled when I saw it because I knew you were just responding "tongue in cheek" to vroom's posting.  Smiley

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #14 - 09/26/06 at 20:46:56

Don't forget a bad or low battery will cause those same symptoms.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:12:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring - I need help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.