Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Licensing requirements
Reply #15 - 09/27/06 at 14:34:12

I got my motorcycle license in Pennsylvania three years ago. It was pretty simple, all you need is a valid car licence to get a permit to ride and $7.00. The permit is good for a year and you can renew it as long as you want. There is a state run safety course that is for free which gives riding lessons in a parking lot on little 125cc state provided bikes. They also give two nights of classroom for the written test. Once you are done the course they give you the written and riding test. If you pass you get your licence. If you are not interested in taking the class the state gives the motorcycle test at the local police station. A lot of people just ride on thier permit for years till they get around to getting licenced, seems to be less hassle.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

In Re: Licensing requirements
Reply #16 - 09/27/06 at 17:35:53

In New Zealand it a a long drawn out process.
Pass Basic Handling course (half day) get certificate. Take to test centre, sit written test, get Learners.
Cannot ride over 70kmh, Bike 250cc or less, no pillion. No riding 10pm - 5am
Wait at least 6 months, Sit practical "restricted License"
Still limited to 250cc bike, no pillion, no 10pm to 5am
Wait another 6 months if over 25, 18 months if under age 25, Sit another practical test.
Full License. Ride what you like, when you like, pillion OK.
So if under 25 minimum time to get full license 2 years.

Not surprisingly lots of riders "break" these rules.

IP Logged
markv
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 10/05/06 at 10:01:41

Hey Vikki...here in Ontario the M1 lasts 3 months and has restrictions also but not so strict as yours it seems. We can't take passengers, drive on roads with higher than 80km speed limits, zero alcohol, cant ride half hour after sunset or prior to a half hour before sunrise. We can ride solo. The class in my city (Windsor) costs $395 - 2 day class - and if you pass it waives the government road test for the M2 level. The M2 lasts up to 5 years. After roughly 2 years with an M2 you can take the final road test to get your full license. Good luck progressing to full priviliges!

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #18 - 10/06/06 at 03:29:10

Here in Maryland, licensing is about the same.  Permit w/restrictions and $45 bucks, then test (road/written) and another $45 bucks.  But bringing a bike into the state they really get you.  $90 for temp registration, $60 inspection fee, then another $90 for the 1 year registration...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/06/06 at 07:31:05

Actually, Canada differs from Province to Province as much as the individual sates do.

Here in PEI, your learner's is good for somewhere between 30 & 60 days and the restrictions are 30km (20mi) from home, daylight only and no passengers.  There is no requirement for another bike in view. The learner's is just for the asking & a $5.00 fee (no written test) and then a driving test to get your full permit. As far as I know, passing the course allows you to bypass teh driving test.

I'm not sure whether you need a car permit or not, as I've never known anyone who got their mc without their car.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #20 - 10/06/06 at 14:42:05

Well, here in Newfoundland, Canada most new Riders tend to do the Canada Safety Council's Gearing Up Rider Safety Training Course (which is based on the American MSF Course) ... although you can get an m/c license without doing the course, the length of time between the "permit" stage and the full endorsement stage is longer (not sure of the time limit for this approach).
The Gearing Up course takes a full weekend; Thu. evening classroom session, Fri evening Range and all day Sat. & Sun. on the training Range with a Skills test on Sun. afternoon. Successful completion of which gives you a Class 6(1) on your drivers license which we call a "permit" ... daylight only Riding, no roads with speed limits over 80kph and accompanyment of a fully endorsed Rider following on another m/c (most new Riders often "waive" the last one LOL!!). One has to have the Class 6(1) for a minimum of 1 month before being able to book a Road Test with either the Safety Council or the DMV ... ya pass this and you upgrade to a full Class 6 m/c endorsement ... and if you are confident enough, you can Ride any machine, anytime, anywhere ... carrying anyone!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #21 - 10/13/06 at 14:34:54

Hahaha, man you guys got it bad Wink...In NH (live free or die!)its $30 for a permit; no night riding or passengers, thats it.  Its good for one month.  Come in to the dmv in the morning to take the skills test (6 basic slow maneuvers) and your good to go.  No written test, no hidden fees.  You dont even have to bring your own bike.  My buddy inherited a Road King but took the test with me on my savage.  

Helpful hint on taking the test with the savage...adjust your idle screw up a little to avoid stalling.  Highly recomend taking the test with the savage, 350lbs soaking wet and greater then 500cc which allows you to take the wider turns on the test.  For all of you guys riding on permits, Take the test!  Beats looking over your sholder for the poh poh.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #22 - 10/13/06 at 16:10:34

in Florida you can also just take the MSF course, its 2 days, and you take the written and driving during the course, take your card up to the drivers licience and get your endorsement added on.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:33:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Licensing requirements

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.