Licensing requirements (Read 3 times)
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Aldergrove, British Columbia
Licensing requirements
09/26/06 at 09:42:18

I was just curious about what kind of licensing requirements the rest of you face where you live. From the posts I have read, it seems like the licensing in the U.S. is a bit easier than what we face in Canada.

Here, it's a three-step process. There's the written test to obtain your "learner's licence."  When you have your learner's, you are restricted from riding in the dark, cannot travel faster than 60 kilometres (40 miles) an hour, must be accompanied at all times by a licensed motorcyclist and cannot carry passengers.

The next step is the "skills test," the series of slow-riding maneuvers that you do around a parking lot. We had this test as part of the riding course I took in the spring, but I failed it twice and was not permitted to proceed with the rest of the course, which basically consisted of two road rides. So I dropped the course, got my own bike and went out on the road with my husband. I have yet to do the skills test again, which I will do with the motor vehicles branch.

Once you pass the skills test, all your restrictions are removed, except for carrying passengers. The final step towards becoming a fully licensed motorcyclist is the road test.

My learner's licence expires in February, so my plan is to re-take the written test and THEN do the riding tests and FINALLY get my full licence.

So is the process this detailed for the rest of you?

Vikki

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Re: Licensing requirements
Reply #1 - 09/26/06 at 09:55:42

If I'm not mistaken, it varies a bit from state to state here in the US.  

Here in Texas, there's a written test and a road test.  If you so choose, you can take the written test and get a permit that allows you to ride so long as you are within sight of someone over 18 or 21 (I don't recall the age).  The road test can be waived with the successful completion of the MSF course.  

If you are under 18, I believe the MSF course is mandatory, as are the written and road tests.

Oh, and let's not forget the fee.  Apparently it costs them an extra $8 to push the "M" key each time the license needs renewing...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 09/26/06 at 10:37:14

In Illinois if you are of majority age (18 or 21 I'm not sure - hasn't affected me for a lot of years) you can either go the learner's permit/written/riding test route, or you can take the state's BRC (for free) and if you pass all you have to do is take yourself to your local licensing office and they will issue you a M license for a fee. Did I mention you have to have an automobile license to take the course? Also, the fee for the M classification in part goes to pay for the BRC's offered around the state. The ERC course is also paid for with this fee.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/26/06 at 10:48:24

when I took my bike test in the UK back in 1968 it was a piece of cake - a quick ride around the few blocks near the test center (only varied by taking 2nd & not first left from what my friend was on a few weeks before). Included handsignals (pre turn signals on bikes & an emergency stop but that was about it.

The written part (very stiff for cars in UK) was also easy - just a few ??? like in US (think in Germany you need to have some rudimentary maintenance under your belt for the test too, but someone who has lived there would know - anyone?) the car test in UK was & still is very hard to get through - my Mum failed 3 times, my brother, a life long motorcyclist twice (maybe around a 85% first time you take it you fail rate!) but as I recall in those days most passed the bike test easily first time.

I took the bike test here in MI around 1987 (now live in CO).  written part very easy - actual physical bike test not so for me with a looong bike with a relatively extreme rake - a large Honda Shadow. Could not go in between all the little cones without knocking one or 2 down so it shames me to say I failed (bear in mind I'd never driven a car in my life in England & did 10,000 miles a year there on a bike, commuting every single day in London with the high density traffic there).

I borrowed a neighbor's scooter & sailed through it (could have done figure 8s around the darn cones then! Then taught myself to drive a car & passed test easily (hey, they are just like a bike, but you do different things with your hands/feet & are wider/longer & have reverse (unlike most bikes, I'm glad to say)

Certainly seems we have it easy here compared to our cousins across the border.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/26/06 at 10:53:38

I really need to get mine!  I've been riding 40k+ miles on a permit!  Need to take the riding test.  $35, then pay the DMV fees.  I'm in CO.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/26/06 at 11:33:42

Where abouts in CO, vroom1776? There is another Savage rider  - Thumperclone - I know here in the "Sunny Valley" of Grand Junction. He reckons there is another in town here - would you be the person? If so, check my profile & e-mail me with your whereabouts - perhaps we can check our bikes out?

george Smiley

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #6 - 09/26/06 at 11:45:58

It definitely sounds a bit easier to get your licence in the U.S. Where I live, you cannot get any part of the licensing process waived by taking a course. In fact, there are really no benefits to taking a course, other than learning how to ride safely, although I believe you can get a slight discount on private insurance if you complete it.

That's not to say that everyone follows all the legal guidelines. I know a few people who ride on their own, without being accompanied by a fully licensed motorcyclist, even though they only have their learner's licence. And try sticking to that 60 kph speed limit . .

Vikki

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 09/26/06 at 11:47:55

HIJAKC AHEAD:

GK,

I'm in Fort Collins.  I've PMd w/ TC a while ago re: getting together.  My schedule is very hectic...  When abouts might you be thinking?  I'll send a PM w/ my info.  
V

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/26/06 at 12:13:31

Think Lon (aka Thumperclone) said he had corresponded with someone from your neck of the woods.

not this side of spring, I reckon - any chance of heading over to the Front Range is out for me - don't you just hate Eisenhower Tunnel & the pass. also a rock slde (in Denver paper) which mashed a semi in Debeque well over a week ago is still causing delays on I70. Used to ride year round back home but a) got old b) got soft when crossed Atlantic.

still, let's keep in touch & mayhap we can meet up.

George  Cheesy

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #9 - 09/26/06 at 18:31:34

In Florida, you can take a brief written test and get a learners permit that is good for 90 days. It is renewable 3 times. Then your choice is to take the riding part of the test at the DMV office, or pay $75 and take the MSF course over a weekend which will earn you an endorsement that the state recognizes and will be applied to your license when you show course completion to the DMV.  I aced the course on a CB550 and its 150lbs heavier than the savage. Most people fail the riding portion beacuse their bike is too heavy (read big cruisers) for manuvering at low speeds.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 09/26/06 at 19:25:36

hey varoom my permit(Colo) is good for 3 years..you been permitin that long???i didnt see any restrictions on/with it..p.s.  I got georges' p.m. from you..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #11 - 09/26/06 at 20:12:19

My "learner's licence," which seems similar to the "permit" that you guys refer to in the U.S. is good for a year, so you have that much time to do the two riding tests before it expires and you have to start all over from the beginning.

I know people who get their learner's and pass their skills test but don't get in the road test before the year expires. Then, they have to start all over again; it doesn't matter if you have already passed the previous two tests. How much does that suck?

Vikki

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #12 - 09/26/06 at 20:16:13

And you have to pay only $75 for a course? Geez. A course here averages around $700 or $800, but that's for more than a weekend. The course I took was over six days (four evenings and two full days) and was 30 hours in total, and all the courses are similar to that.

Vikki

IP Logged
ThomWill
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/27/06 at 03:02:31

In Georgia, pass BRC course = license (the wait for the BRC course around Atlanta is now some two months unless you want to go across the state to a more rural area)

Or, you can take the written test (20 MC questions, 20 roadsign questions)  and get a permit good for 6 months - renewable once.

Then the "road" test (12-18 MPH in the DMV parking lot)
Easy stop on line after narrow runway
90 right turn through VERY tight lines
S-Curves through painted lines in parking lot
2 emergency stops
3 or 4 stop and swerve or swerve and stop runs based on a set of lights.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #14 - 09/27/06 at 07:43:12

here in AZ, last april, i paid $225.00 to put debby through the MSF course in phoenix, which was about 20 hours of instruction/course training over a weekend. when she successfully completed the course, she had passed the written and skills exam required by the state, and was issued a cert for each. she then went to the MVD, paid $7.00 and smiled for the camera, no permit period.

30 years ago in CA, my brother and i took a written test, and skills test on the DMV parking lot course. i dont remember a permit period, but we were accomplished riders at that time already. i have no idea what their rules are now.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:36:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Licensing requirements

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.