Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you pick a helmet? (Read 5 times)
Enfield_fan
Ex Member

How do you pick a helmet?
09/21/06 at 11:10:21

Hi, all. I'm newer than new to this motorcycle game...I was the ringleader of a band of ne'er-do-wells who got together to buy a common friend of ours a '98 Savage for his 40th birthday. That was just last week.

Now this character is inviting me to drive it, even go get my license on it, but I don't have a helmet. To compound matters I have a size Bozo head--I wear a size 8 hat--and I've been looking around for something suitable, and I find the array of choices positively bewildering.

I have seen plastic brainbuckets on e-Bay for as little as $14. It occurs to me that I am not particularly willing to trust my life and health to a fourteen-dollar helmet.

On the other hand, here is what I *do* want: I want to spend my money on helmet. Not brand-name, not the salesman's commission, not expensive retail space, not a fancy finish. Oh, and I'd like a full-face job too, as I'm fond of my jawbone and would prefer to retain it, intact if possible.

I want to put my money in a safe, comfortable full-face helmet that fits, without paying too much money. What do you recommend?

IP Logged
upcountry
YaBB Newbies

By the Water
Upcountry BC

BC Canada
Re: How do you pick a helmet?
Reply #1 - 09/21/06 at 11:17:02

The only thing you can do is try them on. Ordering online can be frustrating.
In order to have proper fit you try them out. Here in Canada anyway dealers are very honest on there pricing on helmets and as such are not trying to gouge you.
I picked a full face HJC helmet and bag for 80.00. By no means the cheapest and thats the way I like it. Comfort and weight are big things to check. Make sure it fits.
IMHO

IP Logged
Enfield_fan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/06 at 11:24:44

Is there any way to tell a hat that'll save your life from a hat that won't? Is there a standard they ought to meet?

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 09/21/06 at 11:35:22

I don't know how much I would trust the sizing of helmets to be able to order one online at all.

I just bought a touring helmet last month (open face so it doesn't apply to what you are looking for) and I tried one on, like it, tried some more on and then decided to go back to it.  Then I couldn't find it as it was grouped with other helmets that looked identical.  I had to try on 4 different helmets that all claimed to be the same exact size before I re-found the one that fit my head 'just right.'

If you have to wear the helmet for any extended period of time, it's got to be just right.  Too tight, gives yourself a headache, too loose, and it bounces around at highway speeds...

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/21/06 at 11:48:02

As per a "motorcyclist" mag report, the most expensive helmets are not always the best.

In general, something with a DOT and or SNELL sticker/ approval will be "safe," but, if I recall correctly, no helmet is actually rated for more than 35 MPH.  

Fitment:  should feel comfortable.  SHoul;d be able to get a finger tip between the helmet and your skull with a little difficulty.  If you can slide your whole finger in there: too big.  Most decent & "inexpensive" full faces will cost between $100 and $300 USD.

Try them on till you find one you like.

V

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/21/06 at 11:53:04

Won't comment on the Bozo head, but go try some on.
The basic standards are: DOT rated & some folks insist on a SNELL rating. DOT satisfies my needs. I prefer vents, but they don't all have them, some also have snap in neck protectors for cold weather.
Most M/C shops understand how personal a helmet is & will let you look, even different brands will fit different according to style, so try them. Hey, just tell them you need some time to decide, they will usually let you alone.

I personally wear a half-helmet. My head is more like a basketball than a Bozo, so full face helmets are too confining for me. My hat size is 6 7/8 but my helmet is an xl, so don't pick it that way.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 09/21/06 at 12:35:18

+1 on the try them on. And if you don't have a $14 brain, don't buy a $14 helmet.  Wink Vents, and other features are extras. Something to consider is the replaceability/availability of the shield. I purchased a tinted one and have purchased a second one in the past two years due to scratches and preferring to ride with tinting during the day and clear at night. If you wear glasses consider how difficult it is to put glasses on with a full face helmet. My wife and son have "tip up" versions of FF helmets.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 09/21/06 at 14:09:45

Buy the best helmet you can afford. A cheap helmet could cost you your life. DO NOT buy without trying on. Go to a big cycle store nearby and try some on. If you find one that fits well make a note and go home and do some shopping online.

Have a look at Scorpion helmets. I've heard very good things about them.

http://www.scorpionusa.com/

At a minimum, get a DOT certified helmet. If you want the best, get a SNELL approved lid.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 09/21/06 at 14:37:25

first is fit, then price.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/21/06 at 15:22:26

+1 on teh scorpion brand.  I picked mine up for $130 retail and I love it.  it has all the stuff expensive buckets have and it's comfy for me.  also, dot and snell rated.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/21/06 at 17:03:41

first off you might want to take the 2 and a half day safety coarse offered at your local college,they will lend you a helmet, and when you pass that you just waltze into your DMV and get your indorsment, then take your time looking for a bike,some sellers even include a helmet.
One other thing if you are going to a dealer for your bike,and he just won't come down that last $100 or so,just say "Ok I will take the bike if you include a helmet" I bet he gives you one.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #11 - 09/21/06 at 19:11:44

I have a 1/2 helmet and a FF both and they are both diffrent sizes. Go try them on, If you don't know how it should fit ask the salesman. They usually will be more than happy to help. Then walk around the store with it on for 10 or 15 min. You'll look stupid but it will keep you from buying a helmet that will be uncomfortable later after you have ridden with it on for an hour or so.  Then if you want to buy online, buy one you have tried on and order the same size that fit. My $100 HJC CL-SP FF is DOT and Snell cert. and it will protect my noggin as well as any $400 Shoei. I personally think it is highway robbery to charge $400 for a helmet that "looks cool". But hey, If you feel safer by paying the extra cabbage and feeling safer will make you wear it, then by all means spend $400.

WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/21/06 at 19:58:06

I've got a Charlie Brown head, big & round. I tried on lots of helmets at the dealer & the HJC CL-14 fit me best but would be uncomfortable for a different shaped head. I think I paid around $119. From what I've heard & read, I'd start with Scorpions. If they fit right, it's probably going to be hard to improve on that without spending way more money.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 09/22/06 at 12:00:04

You cannot know what will fit *YOU* unless you try it on.   It should fit snug without any pinching.  Once you have decided on the helmet brand and size you can buy it there and ride immediately -- or you could look on-line for that exact same brand/model/size and get it in a few weeks.

(I wear Tony Lama boots, size 9EE, and can confidently order on-line -- but I had to try them on in a boot store first.  Justin boots, same size, do not fit me -- the arch has a different shape.)

WWW   IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/23/06 at 06:13:21

Keep in mind also, that a new helmet will fit snugly, but over time it will loosen up a bit and become more comfortable.

Just a "bit" snug is okay. The inside padding will soften a little the more it is worn.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:58:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do you pick a helmet?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.