Who would've thought... (Read 4 times)
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Who would've thought...
09/20/06 at 20:24:53

that I'd have another question.  First I'd like to thank everyone for the help.  Last weekend I started to rejet my bike in the hopes of installing the new Hard Krome muffler I bought (I have an extra if anyone is interested). Well, I finally completed that nightmare and am having a hard time removing the old muffler.  I have the bolts off the muffler clamp, the clamp that holds the heat sheild to the header pipe, and the bolts in the back holding the muffler to the frame.  The muffler just refuses to come out.  I am afraid that I am putting too much stress on the header.  How hard should it be to get it out?  Am I missing something?  Thanks again for all the help!!!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Who would've thought...
Reply #1 - 09/20/06 at 21:03:00

Did you get that bolt on the rear heat shield, ahead of the clamp too? That gave me fits once. I tapped the muffler back with a hammer, then twisted it & tapped some more. Got it 1/2 way off & finally took the whole exhaust system off which made it easier to work with. If you do that it's a good time to replace the exhaust flange gasket.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 09/20/06 at 21:33:11

I got the bolt on the rear heat sheild that attaches it to the header pipe.  If that's what you mean.  I'm afraid to even twist far enough to get both bolts where the muffler meets the frame out of their holes.  It seems I'm putting alot of pressure on the headrer pipe by pulling the muffler out of those holes.  I can twist the muffler so I think I have it loosened.  The only bolts left are the ones the attach the muffler and the rear heat sheild(?)  How problematic would it be to remove the whole exhaust, header pipe and all?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/20/06 at 22:59:00

Pop the two header bolts, in addition to the muffler bolts and you're in business to pull the whole thing.  You just need to pop the forward most heat shield off too, but that's not a big deal.

If you go that route, be sure you have a new header gasket to put on so you save a headache or two.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/21/06 at 00:39:41

It only takes about 15 minutes to get the whole exaust
system off,I take mine all off every month just so I can clean and polish the casing and on the inside of the header,I like a clean bike,although I'm lucky because my brother in law has a hydrolic ramp (he has a hot rod Chevy truck) I live next door ,it sure is nice working on the bike at eye level.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 09/21/06 at 06:32:30

if it's stuck, yeah, pull the whole exhaust.  I did not remoe the header pipe, and jsut had my room mate hold the bike while I pulled and pulled and pulled and twisted and pulled and...

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 09/21/06 at 10:04:47

Thanks for the insight!  One more question, will I need a torque wrench to get the Headrer back on or can I just tighten till it dosen't move?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 09/21/06 at 10:35:56

Don't need a torque wrench.  Just tighten them maybe a 1/4 turn past easy wrenching. recheck after a couple of rides.  There is a tq number, but I forget what it is.

V

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 09/21/06 at 11:47:07

And it's probably not necessary to mention but... never tighten those header bolts while the engine is hot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #9 - 09/21/06 at 14:03:19

Make sure all the bolts are loose, use plenty of PB Blaster, and put some brute force to it  Grin

If you do any hammering use a piece of wood with the hammer so you don't do any damage.

It just needs some persuasion.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:32:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who would've thought...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.