Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I need a Carb adjustment? (Read 2 times)
pisceschick1974_20
Ex Member

Do I need a Carb adjustment?
09/18/06 at 19:04:29

My 2006 S40 with 503 miles, backfires and sounds like  a gun going off.
Also, when you shut the bike off it will backfire again.

Am I doing something wrong or do i need a carb adjustment?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Do I need a Carb adjustment?
Reply #1 - 09/19/06 at 11:55:27

backfire fix

please read thru the tech sect.  lot's of info in there on carb mods.  Happy tuning!

IP Logged
pmanntex
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/19/06 at 11:56:32

As a relative newbie, before somebody here rips you for this question, I'll just say do a search on backfire and you'll get plenty of info.  

The bottom line:  backfires are a feature of thumpers and particularly stock savages and new S40 off the lot for a number of reasons.  

check your plug after about another 250 miles to see whether you need to adjust the gap or replace it all together with a hotter or colder plug.  fuel updgrades (premium) also may help.  doing these, I eliminated the backfire during downshifts and the pop at shut down is pretty minor.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 09/19/06 at 12:51:38

Backfires are quite normal for a stock Savage. It doesn't really do any harm but your bike will be smoother and last longer with some carb work.

Short term fix - drill and pull the cap over your slow mixture screw and richen it up a bit (counterclockwise to richen).

Long term fix - rejet the carb. Go to maybe one size larger on the main jet, shave the white spacer over the needle to 2/3 or 1/2s thickness, and richen your slow mixture screw. On a stock bike, I'd go 2/3s on the white spacer.

Enjoy your new bike  Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/19/06 at 17:29:28

get the first service (600 mile) out of the way first..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 09/20/06 at 07:37:21

first of all, welcome pisceschick, we've seen a couple posts from you (3), we'll assume you're another of our  lady riders, we have many here, including my wife. introductions are welcomed and encouraged, what part of the savage world do you call home? anyhow, we're glad to have you aboard.

pmanntex wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
before somebody here rips you for this question,  

secondly, we dont rip people on this forum, which is why it is such a fine place to spend a few minutes of our busy lives. encouragement, be it mechanical, rider skills, or personal, is the norm.

thirdly, as has been mentioned, the backfiring is normal ??? for a stock S40/savage, YOU aren't doing anything wrong. it is fixable, it is well documented and practiced throughout this group, and we'll help, if & when, you're ready.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/23/06 at 18:07:52

http://www.cyclemanual.com/C/Su/384.htm
Here's what some of us use. Probably more info than I can use but it's there if I need it.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:16:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do I need a Carb adjustment?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.