Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Nuts: to tighten or not? (Read 4 times)
lagagnon
Ex Member

Cylinder Head Nuts: to tighten or not?
09/17/06 at 19:59:47

I will soon enough be doing my 6000km (4000mi) service. The Suzuki owner's manual states that the cylinder head nuts should be tightened. This is quite a job, involving the removal of all cylinder head cover bolts. I really wonder whether a Suzuki repair shop would even do that job if you brought it in for a 6000km service - it is time consuming even for them!

I did not perform this task at my 1000km service on the recommendation of others - and I was not willing to take the risk as I do not consider myself to be a great mechanic.

Any ideas on how important this job is or not would be appreciated. I have never tightened the cylinder head bolts on a very old, well worn lawn mower - why should I do it on a motorbike?

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Re: Cylinder Head Nuts: to tighten or not?
Reply #1 - 09/17/06 at 21:50:51

If they are lose tighten them,if there is no blow by or loss of compression leave em alone,I have almost 10000 on mine never tightend them. Grin

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 09/17/06 at 22:10:46

I too never did tighten those nuts at 600 miles services but I did check the valves clearance. At 4000 miles I check the tighness on the 2 nuts that I have access to without removing the head cyclinder cover. They were tight as the day I bought it. The exhaust valves needed some small adjustment and the intake haven't change. At least do those services as mentioned above. Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/18/06 at 01:13:56

i have 23,000 on my 02  and  head is still tight. No oil  leaks. I agree, leave it alone if it aint broken

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 09/19/06 at 09:10:21

You did the job on 1000KM, now leave the headnuts alone. No leaks no work required.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:31:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Nuts: to tighten or not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.