Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brass Plug Removal (Read 11 times)
jmerry
Ex Member

Brass Plug Removal
09/14/06 at 12:47:43

Can you guys tell me the best way to remove the brass plug over the idle mixture control screw on the carb?  I don't have a slide hammer, and have heard that it could be drilled out.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Brass Plug Removal
Reply #1 - 09/14/06 at 12:51:47

small sheet metal screw or(i used)small metal stud framing screw..dont go in too far and bugger up the mix screw..grab head with pliers and pull straight back... Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/14/06 at 14:38:28

I took a small drill bit to mine till there was a bit of a dimple in it.  Then I drove a sheetrock screw through it only about 4-5 threads down.  I tried pulling with pliers but it was too stuck int here so I took a garden variety claw hammer, wrappen the head in a rag and found a sturdy place to lever it against.  Took a bit of force but it came out nicely.

Now if I can only figure out why it sounds like the same idle no matter how many turns out, I'll be golden!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 09/14/06 at 14:45:02

V,

Too high or too low?  or just no change?  Maybe yank the carb and see what happens if you turn the idle screw... or are you talking about the pms screw?

V

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/14/06 at 15:55:20

Nope, it's the right screw.  The one behind the plug.  I haven't done the spacer mod yet but I'm sure the screw should still make a change in idle speed.  It's still too low, I think.  The way it came from the factory...

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 09/14/06 at 16:27:18

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Nope, it's the right screw.  The one behind the plug.  I haven't done the spacer mod yet but I'm sure the screw should still make a change in idle speed.  It's still too low, I think.  The way it came from the factory...

I'd be doubtful you would get any significant change without more fuel coming into the needle or pilot circuits. Whats stopping you from the spacer mod??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/14/06 at 18:42:43

Well, any nice days left, I'm riding her.  And I can't get the screws on top off.  I got one with an impact driver, stripped the hell out of one and cant get to the other two.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 09/14/06 at 20:41:36

Idle speed is a knob on the left side of the carb.  If you want to change idle speed, that's the one.  The one under the brass plug is the idle fuel/air (pilot circuit) adjustment.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/15/06 at 00:26:40

Yeah, thats what I meant.  What I meant by speed was I do not hear the idle getting stronger (like described in the brass plug thread) when I turn out the screw and the engine doesnt struggle to stay running when I turn the screw, even all the way in.  Maybe my ear isn't tuned to hear it?

ps. jmerry, sorry for hijacking your thread!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 09/15/06 at 04:35:39

Veritas, same here: I drilled out the brass cover, and have done the white spacer mod (1/2) but do not hear much difference when I turn the screw..  Suzi runs pretty well so I'll mess with it later when Winter presents

IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/15/06 at 05:54:45

No, guys, this is a good topic.  I got the plug out just by drilling - it just popped out when I drilled about 1/2 way through.  I toyed with the adjustment for some time, but could tell very little in the idle.  I settled on about 3 "turns out" and adjusted my idle to match.  

I thought I had fixed the lean condition at lower RPM's, as it ran better yesterday when it was warm, but this AM I could still tell that it was still starving a bit at lower throttle.  I can tell it's a lean condition, because the choke seems to empower it alot.  Can someone send a comprehensive setup sheet for adjusting the idle mixture screw?

Thanks!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/15/06 at 06:03:00

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Veritas, same here: I drilled out the brass cover, and have done the white spacer mod (1/2) but do not hear much difference when I turn the screw..  Suzi runs pretty well so I'll mess with it later when Winter presents

Same here. My idle speed didn't change when I turned the pilot screw in or out unless it was all the way in or several turns out. I learned that (on my bike at least) 1/2 out makes a loud backfire on shutdown, 1 out makes a quieter backfire & I settled at 1 1/2 out which makes a quiet "poof" after shutdown. Seems to run slightly crisper down low with it out some. Factory setting was almost closed.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 09/15/06 at 07:16:49

do a search for  "lancers straight & simple carb tuning"

first you turn up your idle i did about1500rpm (normal spec is 1000>1200) then when you change the idle mix you can def tell...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/15/06 at 10:23:58

Yeah, I read that post and went by that method.   I still didn't see much of a change.   Are there any other methods?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 09/15/06 at 10:40:19

Well, any nice days left, I'm riding her.  And I can't get the screws on top off.  I got one with an impact driver, stripped the hell out of one and cant get to the other two.

get a rigid screw extractor kit.  They work great, IMO.  Saved my bacon many times.  Got mine for $4 at harbor freight tools.

V

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:26:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brass Plug Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.