Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How hot does the header and pipe get? (Read 7 times)
Balderdash

Minnesota
How hot does the header and pipe get?
09/13/06 at 22:08:04

I'm thinking about using JB Weld as a sealant around and extra hold between the header and a Jardine exhaust pipe, still plan on using the clamp...

JB Weld suggests that it is not recommended for use on manifolds and headers that regularly work at over 500'F degrees.  I'm thinking the pipe doesn't get that hot.  Does anyone know differently?

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Re: How hot does the header and pipe get?
Reply #1 - 09/14/06 at 06:42:27

The Jardine muffler has very little restriction (LOUD), I don't think you need any sealer at the joint. If you use sealer, get muffler pipe sealer.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/14/06 at 06:56:27

ive used jb weld to repair,patch side cases b4 after applying i throw it in the oven at lowest temp for 20 min
dont have to wait 24 hours for air dry cure..holds at oil temp...some here weld the connection..i  use
rtv hi temp( if anything is needed)makes a good seal,little messy as you slide  muff on and rotate and get her mounted but has long enuf workin time for easy clean up(rags)..do a search here on rtv to get others
input.. Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 09/14/06 at 10:02:01

Okay, exhaust sealer it is then...

Thanks for the input to both of you.

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 09/14/06 at 18:19:00

Okay, she's on.  Used some gasket seal goop (yellow, powdering liquid, dries too fast as you are trying to twist the exhaust onto the header.

Can't feel any leaks, but soapy water reveals a small bubble spots leaking out  (thinking about leaving it or filling the entire outside gap area with the silicone stuff mentioned earlier.  Either way, I think it's on well and ready to be driven...

New topic. The Jardine pipe pings a lot after riding it.  This should be normal to a point, but regular pinging for several minutes?  How much of this is from running to lean and how much is simply because Jardine's ping a lot when compared to stock?

All opinions are welcome and thanks in advance.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 09/15/06 at 14:29:19

What do you mean by the pipe is pinging?

When you turn the bike off, the exhaust (and then engine too) will begin to cool down.  During the cooling process, the metal expands, which results in a pinging noise.  Is this what you are talking about?

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 09/16/06 at 08:23:40

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
What do you mean by the pipe is pinging?

When you turn the bike off, the exhaust (and then engine too) will begin to cool down.  During the cooling process, the metal expands, which results in a pinging noise.  Is this what you are talking about?  

Yes Sir.  Exactly.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Jardine clip-on pings for a long time in comparison to other pipes (by being thinner metal components on the inside perhaps) OR if this pinging is an indication that the exhaust system is getting too hot (for any reason).

The bike doesn't back fire much, I don't think it's running excessively lean.  Roll-on test's and the roll-off testing under load isn't creating any backfiring on a regular basis either, no real reason to think the engine is running too lean.  But it does pop off every once in a while at random times (which I think is simply a fact of life with a big single, but correct me if I'm wrong please).

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 09/16/06 at 21:04:55

Just for kicks today I put my infra red thermometer out where I would see it when I parked the bike. I took a header reading and it 425 deg F on the outside of a double wall RAASK pipe with a HD FXD muffler. I didn't run the engine up to see what it might go to, but I would say that on the road it will go over 500 easy. I had just run 8 miles @55, then 0.3 miles on gravel in 3rd gear and then turned in the driveway and into the shop. Got off and took the temp. A tiny bit of trivia for those who might want to know. I know when I had a single wall Highway Hawk pipe it would get almost translucent on a hard run. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 09/17/06 at 19:08:03

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Just for kicks today I put my infra red thermometer out where I would see it when I parked the bike. I took a header reading and it 425 deg F on the outside of a double wall RAASK pipe with a HD FXD muffler. I didn't run the engine up to see what it might go to, but I would say that on the road it will go over 500 easy. I had just run 8 miles @55, then 0.3 miles on gravel in 3rd gear and then turned in the driveway and into the shop. Got off and took the temp. A tiny bit of trivia for those who might want to know. I know when I had a single wall Highway Hawk pipe it would get almost translucent on a hard run. Max

Wow, that's hotter, quicker, than I thought I would get... Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:20:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How hot does the header and pipe get?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.