Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New Savage owner/rider (Read 20 times)
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Re: New Savage owner/rider
Reply #45 - 10/27/06 at 18:31:37

loopedguru:  Well, last year I managed to ride my bike every 2 - 3 weeks when the roads were clear and dry - even if I just went around the block or two.  I'm pretty sure the battery is the original one from 2000, but it's been totally fine.   As I said though, our garage stays above freezing, so I figured the bike would be ok.  I didn't put on snow tires though (lol).  

I think it was a guy in the bike shop that told me it was actually better to winterize the bike, and let it sit over the winter months - so I wouldn't get too much condensation from running it, etc.  Maybe I'll start a thread to get other opinions on that.

If you do ride in the winter, just keep in mind that most cagers aren't expecting to see bikers on the roads - in the snowier places.  

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
sharon

love life

Reply #46 - 11/11/06 at 19:50:14

hey vikki

a good investment for your bike is a set of frog tog rain gear. they are light weight, fairly cheap and they work.  we've been caught in the rain a few times and they were well worth the $50 or so we paid for them. i bought mine a little bigger so they fit over my jacket and chaps. i've also worn my jacket on cool mornings over a light jacket and as the day warms up it fits right back in my tail bag.  

my tail bag actually came off of my old crotch rocket. it's made by dowco and for around $40 it works great. i just hook one end to my back rest and loop the other end around my rear pegs. it goes on and off in about thirty seconds.

the biggest problem my husband has with me and my bike is every time we stop i remind him how much i LOVE my new bike. he just rolls his eyes and smiles. Cheesy

p.s i don't leave my driveway without my helmet

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #47 - 11/12/06 at 15:40:29

Hi vikki!  Hey folks!!!

Well, here in Ontario, Canada the temps. have been above freezing, and the little bit of snow we had a few weeks ago melted away.  So... I've been riding several days a week, as long as there isn't rain in the forecast.

Anyway, I now wear winter gloves, and a fleece jacket under my leather jacket, and that seems to keep me warmer.  Plus my usual: leather pants, leather boots, and full-face helmet.  I have a balaclava too, but it shifts around as I pull my helmet over top, and then I worry that it will gradually cover my eyes as I ride.  So, haven't bothered with it yet.

The other morning on my way to work, I went through a construction zone and they had just put water on the road.  There was brand new pavement, but the water made any of the dirt on it totally muddy. - well, the bike and I ended up being covered in mud!!!  I hosed it down and used a soapy cloth, and there still is mud in the hard-to-reach areas.  I'll have to get back out there and give it another washing, when it's not so cool and windy.

Well, hope the rest of you are doing well!  Judging by the forecast, I should still be on the bike a few days this coming week too!!!  Gonna keep riding as long as I can this winter, and then try to run the bike around the neighbourhood throughout the winter on the dry days, to keep the battery charged up - worked last year!!! Grin

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #48 - 11/12/06 at 20:33:43

Pretty die hard there DianeS - hats off to you - running that engine and riding it if only a couple times a month has got to be more fun and a happier bike - and if you think about it that's as much use as half the v-twins get ever.

IP Logged
femme fatale
YaBB Newbies

First Time Rider!
 Took me 50 years...

Reply #49 - 11/14/06 at 19:48:00

Hey Ladies.  It's fun reading all your great stories about riding.  I too am a first time rider at 49.  Decided at the last moment to take the class in Aug.  Bought my 2001 in early Sept.  Didn't have a whole lot of time to ride her, weather turned bad fast.  I put about 600 miles on her before we put her to bed in the barn.  It's hilarious reading about not turning off your turn signals!  My husband is always reminding me by turning his signal on and off!  I've forgot to put the kickstand down at the gas station pump too, laid it down on the crashbar.  Thanks goodness I didn't do any damage.  My husband was parking my bike  in the barn next to his Harley and dropped it into his, did more damage to his new paint job than he did to mine.
Hey loopedguru, I live in the Detroit area too.  Actually, I live more toward Port Huron, way out in the sticks.  
Love reading all of the stories, keep em coming ladies, makes me feel not so alone out here.
JudeAnn

2001 Savage. 600 Miles when I bought it. Put on highway bars, highway pegs, saddlebags, and looking for a windshield that will fit a person of my small stature.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage owner/rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.