New Savage owner/rider (Read 20 times)
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Aldergrove, British Columbia
Re: New Savage owner/rider
Reply #30 - 09/21/06 at 10:22:22

Karen (so that's your name!), I ordered my saddlebags and fork bag off a motorcycle-accessories store on e-Bay – waaayyyy cheaper than buying them at a shop. If I recall correctly, both items came in at about $100 Canadian total. My husband paid about $200 for his custom-made fork bag alone. Yikes!

I can relate to the upper-body pain. After my first long ride, my forearms and wrists were so achy all the next day and through the night that they were just throbbing and I had to take some Advil to ease the pain. I think Rob is totally right about the cause – white-knuckling the grips can take its toll.

However, that was the only time the pain has really gotten to me, and I think it's because I have now relaxed my grip AND I have been pretty diligent about working out for the last few years. I think you're right, Karen - hitting the gym is hugely beneficial to riding. Not only are you putting a lot of arm and hand muscles into use when you're riding, but you're also putting some strain on your back (sitting in one position for any length of time will do that to you), so a strong "core" is essential. My husband doesn't work out at all, and he always complains about his back after he goes for a long ride. DOH!

Vikki

IP Logged
akkleinfl
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 09/21/06 at 13:06:14

I am so glad that I found this site,  I feel that I have found my kindred spirits!  It is an absolutely beautiful day here and I am staring out the window yearning for my bike!  What has happended to that sensible conservative person that I was?  As I keep reminding my mother (who hates the idea of me on a motorcycle), at least I did not take up skydiving!

I will definitely try ebay - great idea.

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #32 - 09/21/06 at 15:53:26

I had to laugh over your comment about your mom, Karen.

My mom knew I was taking a course and that I had to keep going back every week for private lessons. One day I was talking to her and I guess something that I said clicked with her that I was actually learning to ride a motorcycle because she said to me, "I thought you were taking the course to learn how to be a passenger."

"Geez, mom. How long have I already been doing that? You don't need a course for THAT," I said.

She had no reply for that, other than a big sigh of resignation.

Then, when I actually bought my bike, she dropped by one day (she lives just a few blocks away) just as my husband and I were headed out for a ride.

"Oh, I can't watch," she muttered and then walked directly into the house. I was glad that she decided not to watch, since my starts at that time were still pretty shaky and I would have had her in complete panic mode until I arrived back home safely.

Do we ever stop making our mothers worry, no matter what our age?

Vikki

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #33 - 09/25/06 at 16:13:18

Just curious how everyone's weekend was. Did you get out for any good rides? Thanks to some awesome summer-like weather over the weekend in Beautiful British Columbia, I was able to log another 140 miles through some breathtakingly gorgeous routes, with lots of curvy, forested areas. I'm really starting to get a feel for the twisting roads, and my husband said he was pretty impressed with how well I was able to keep up with him, as he led the way on his Harley.

I even experienced what it's like to run out of gas. We were planning to get to a gas station, but my bike started sputtering and then popping before we quite made it. It occurred to me that I should probably flip the reserve switch, but I decided instead to pull over to the side of the room by doing the usual downshifting and braking. (I wasn't sure that I would be able to confidently find and slip the switch.)

It caught me by surprise when the bike started fishtailing and I came to a rather gimpy and sliding stop. DOH! Next time I'll remember to pull in the clutch. Fortunately, this all happened just a few feet up the road from a gas station and on a flat piece of road with a wide shoulder, rather than on all the twisty hilly roads we had just been travelling over.

Later, when we got home, I sat on my bike and practised finding the reserve switch so the next time it happens, I'll be better prepared.

Vikki

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #34 - 09/25/06 at 17:45:22

Hi Vikki, I got out a couple of times over the weekend in between rain showers. Yesterday I got to ride two beautiful hours right after a shower, where the sun was brilliant amongst all the rain clouds, the wind was gusty and leaves were blowing all over the place, but it had to be one of my best rides so far, absolutely gorgeous! My first time I ran out of gas, I too had to scramble for the shoulder because I couldn't find the petcock without looking. Funny how that is huh? Since then I can manage it no problem.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #35 - 09/25/06 at 17:50:21

Huh! I just noticed that when I typed in petc**ock it was changed to petthingy! Just another example of PC thought police run amok, trashing the English language.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #36 - 09/25/06 at 20:03:23

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Huh! I just noticed that when I typed in petc**ock it was changed to petthingy! Just another example of PC thought police run amok, trashing the English language.

Substitute a zero for an o and you can type it. LOL. Be careful what you type - big brother is watching.

Vikki, I rode all day Saturday - about 200 miles. Rode up to the mountains and rode the length of Skyline Drive. The weather was perfect for motorcycling. Only saw one deer, which is a very good thing.

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #37 - 09/26/06 at 09:28:03

Sounds like you the two of you had a good riding weekend, too. It's still gorgeously sunny here in B.C., and I'm stuck at work, when there's nothing I'd rather be doing than riding my bike. Unfortunately, by the time my work day is done and both my husband I get home, there's not much daylight left, so I pretty much have to wait for the weekend to get out there again.

My work is only about 20 minutes from home and I'd love to pop home in the middle of the day to grab my bike but, alas, I'm still not legally permitted to ride on my own, although I think I'm ready for a solo trip. One day . . .

Vikki

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

VisRe: New Savage owner/rider
Reply #38 - 09/26/06 at 12:06:40

Vicki - me again -

In town here in Grand Junction, CO it is dangerous as heck - worse than London for riding - with all the old folk (big hospital in town & good climate) & young kids (small college here) who either don't see stop signs or seem to take them as a threat to their (young) manhood.

Seems here 99% of Harley riders don't wear helmets period, many crotch riders do & then don shorts, t-shirts & trainers too when it is really hot. Most of the women on the pillion (English for back seat) wear halter tops & cut offs when it gets hot.

So, @ risk of ticking some people here off, if I could give you any more advice it would be wear jeans @ least & a proper jacket with padding on shoulders/back/elbows. advise one of the mesh ones for summer (Kathe & I wear Joe Rocket - they do nice women's sizes too & are great price & have held up well for us. Get a light colored one (I imagine the Harley guys must roast in their toe to toe black leather).

also advise boots that go over the ankle. I don't wear "real" motorcycle boots but some lighter weight "Stanley" (like the tools) brand construction style boots bought @ Payless (do you have that chain in Canada?) Alright, if it rains I get moderately wet feet, despite having weatherproofed them, but my ankles are covered with good leather.

also always wear gloves - except when really cold when I don fake sheepskin lined leather gauntlets form centuries ago back home I wear simple leather gardening gloves. Feel anything else too constrictive, but will check out Walmart's shooting dept for the insulated deerskin ones mentioned on another entry.

last - speaking from early experiences. I expect a lot of flack here (& know in most States it is legal to not wear them & is a freedom of choice issue) but I do advise always wearing a helmet - even to pop down the shops.

when young (around 17 the 1st, under 19 the 2nd) I had 2 incidents (we all do but mine were doozys) - 1 involving shaving a piece off the side of my helmet (goodbye ear otherwise) on a metal line holding a phone pole up, the other involving me, my bike & a semi (no guesses who came off best!) Results - the stuffing knocked out of me, a crushed (but later resurrected bike) & blood in my helmet (& no stitches!)

Without a helmet each time I a) would be saying "What?!" every time someone spoke in my left ear or b) just not be around over 35 years later typing this.

In fact this year, after always feeling like a fish in a bowl in one I switched to a fullface rather than an open one. This was before the Pittsburg Steeler Quarterback tried to headbut a a little hot when it hits 100 for a few days in Agust here, but...

So, no matter what anyone else does/says around you, I urge you to "buckle up (a helmet) - you know it makes sense."  (also again buy a light colored one - say white or silver - a black one looks cool but sucks as far as reflecting sun's rays or being noticeably to car drivers.

Now I wait for the brickbats... george  Cheesy

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #39 - 09/26/06 at 13:40:45

No worries, George. I have all the gear, most of it from when I rode pillion on my husband's Harley. Even in the heat of the summer, I would never think of riding without at least my helmet, boots, gloves, jeans and heavy denim jacket. (It's illegal to ride without a helmet here – even on a bicycle – so even the Harley riders wear them, even though they're sometimes just the "skull caps" that don't provide much, if any, safety. In fact, it's extremely rare here to see someone riding without a helmet.)

At this time of year, most days you'll find me in full leathers. I have a nicely padded Harley leather jacket that was originally priced for $700 (Can. funds) but was on sale for $200; a custom-made pair of thick leather chaps; fully padded Harley leather gloves that come halfway up my arm; and a pair of ankle-covering leather riding boots that I LOVE because they're so comfy. (I walk around in heels and skirts and/or dress pants during the work week.) Yep, it can get hot when you stop, but the chaps are easy to remove. I get cold easily so I like to be comfortable when I ride.

I, too, agree with freedom of choice, but I won't be one of those women riding around in halter tops and cut-offs.

Vikki

IP Logged
akkleinfl
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 10/25/06 at 12:17:22

Haven't seen much activity here lately so I thought I would add something.  It is pretty much the end of the season here in New England but what a glorious end it has been!  The trees are beautiful and I live in an area where I can take some great rides.  I have slowly been increasing my ride time when I ride and I am up to about an hour now, all back roads.  I decided to save the freeways for next spring.  

Now that I feel really comfortable riding, here comes winter.  I am really worried that I will have to start all over next spring.  I hope it will be just like 'riding a bike' (ha ha).

Anyway, how is everyone else doing?

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #41 - 10/25/06 at 14:50:17

Sounds like you're doing great, Karen! Amazing how much progress you can make when you just get out there, isn't it?

I was thinking the same thing the other day - that I don't want to park the bike for the season, now that I'm getting so much more comfortable and confident with it. I, too, am somewhat worried that I'll lose some of my skills, but I'm also sure they'll come back very quickly.

When I finished my motorcycle course in the spring, it took four months for me to get my bike, and I had the same worries. But as soon as I got back in the parking lot, it all came back to me and I picked up right where I had left off and built on my skills from there.

It's just like riding a bike . . .

Vikki

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #42 - 10/25/06 at 15:01:08

To Karen & Vikki -  You both mention doing work-outs this winter to build up your bod for the spring riding.  One of the things I found to be very helpful at the gym was the machine with bars on it shaped like  motorcycle handlebars.  You can adjust the tension on the handlebar grips to give some resistance, and by doing several sets of "roll ons" each workout you will find that the muscles in the forearm develop nicely and make the job of twisting/holding the throttle much easier.

I used to be a long haul rider (Florida to Maine in two days type of thing), and this exercise gave me the forearm strength to ride many hours without difficulty.  Word of caution - don't overdo the exercise, i.e. too much resistance or too many reps at one time or you will have severe pain and discomfort.

P.S.  I can relate with your experiences as new riders.  I started in 1946 and have been riding ever since, but I still remember well all the flubbing around I did as I learned to ride.  Hang in there and all will be well.

Happy nriding!

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #43 - 10/26/06 at 20:13:41

Hi!  I live in Ontario, Canada and the past two mornings I've ridden to work (an hour each way) in temps. close to +1 celcuis and @ +7 celcuis by the end of the afternoon.  A bit chilly, but I have full leathers, chaps, gloves, tall workboots, and a full face helmet.

My hands get really cold in my leather gloves, so I may have to resort to winter gloves - but I wanted the leather to protect my skin - just in case.

Anyway, I don't ride if the forecast calls for rain, so I hadn't been on my savage in a few weeks until yesterday.  I've only ridden twice in rain and neither time was it heavy rain.  So, despite the cold temps. I headed out and had a blast!!!!  

The only time I got ticked off was when a pick up truck passed me on the right side as I was in the left tire track coming up to a stop light.  He drove by my right side and I thought he was going to turn at the light - but the guy kept driving on.  Grrr!  Thankfully, I saw him in my mirrors so I didn't move over in my lane.

Anyway, I may just ride my bike throughout the winter, like last year - to keep the battery charged, and run it when the roads are dry.  Last winter I think I was able to ride it every few weeks.

Have fun, and safe riding!!!!  Oh, my in laws live in Sidney on Vancouver Island, and we'll likely be flying to visit them later next year.

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
loopedguru
YaBB Newbies

Trying to give up my
cage 1 mile at a
time

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #44 - 10/27/06 at 15:42:58

Diane,

Funny I am in the Detroit area and was just contemplating storage or leave her gassed and ready for a ride every few weeks through the winter.  Cold and wet don't mix for me and I don't have snow tires on her.   But I just might be adventurous and go with the same plan you have.  When I bought my bike my mother asked me if I would be riding it in the snow.  She used to ride hers in the snow.  Difference is she was a motocop (in Detroit) and trained to do so.

98 LS650 Orange, 2001 miles and putting it on the road 6/26/06
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:29:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage owner/rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.