New Savage owner/rider (Read 20 times)
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Aldergrove, British Columbia
New Savage owner/rider
09/13/06 at 16:03:20

I'm the proud new owner of a 1996 Suzuki Savage – I love this bike!! – and I wanted to say how much I appreciate all the information on this site. It's very impressive and, although I'm not up on all the technical side of things, I'm sure it will prove very useful down the road.

I'm also new to riding, having taken a course in the spring and just purchasing my bike four weeks ago. I have never driven a standard car before or EVER ridden a dirt bike or motorcycle of any kind (other than as a passenger), so this has been a huge learning process for me. It was HUGE struggle in the beginning, and I was actually pulled out of the course and took several private lessons.

Then, my husband found my bike on a website, but it took a few months for all the paperwork to come through. (The owner lives in Canada but purchased the bike in the States, when he lived there, and had never  registered it in Canada.) It was such an awesome deal that it was worth the wait. It had only 5,800 miles on it, was in EXCELLENT condition and the owner was asking only $2,300 (Can. funds). We just couldn't pass it up.

It was nerve-racking to finally get out on the road for the first time (after a three parking-lot practices), but I'm proud to report that I have now logged 800 miles and am loving every minute of it! The bike is just so nice to handle. Even my husband, who is somewhat of a Harley snob (he rides a 2003 softtail), thinks it's a great bike and that it handles amazingly well.

As a 41-year-old mother of four, this is something that I never imagined  doing. But now that I'm motoring around, I can't imagine NOT doing it. I look forward to sharing my riding experiences and reading all about yours.

Cheers.

Vikki

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Re: New Savage owner/rider
Reply #1 - 09/13/06 at 16:17:09

welcome to the club Vikki,you must be a great kid because you have the same name as my daughter.
shame you got started so late in the year,I hear those Canadian winters can be nasty,will you put snow tires on ?? or store it ?
some time next month mine will be parked in my living room,it will be as cozy as me.
Enjoy your bike you could not have picked a better one.
           Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/13/06 at 16:18:06

Welcome to the Savage Ladies of SuzukiSavage.com Grin
There are getting to be quite a lot of us on here.
A couple of tips, ride your own ride, don't let more experienced riders push you into doing anything that you are not comfortable with, follow someone who knows what he's doing and observe how they handle different situations, remember head & eyes.
Learn before you need to how to pick up your own bike. The Savage is an easy one to get up but not if you don't know how.
Never buy more on a shopping trip than will fit in your saddlebag Angry

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #3 - 09/13/06 at 16:55:48

Oh, Mick, you called me a "kid." Bless your heart.

I actually live in the warmest part of Canada. I'm on the west coast, just outside of Vancouver, so we don't contend with the vicious winters that the rest of our nation gets. We're more in line with Washington State weather, and you can pretty much ride year round here. I plan to take my bike off the road in November, though, because it's still going to be too cold for me through the late fall/winter. It already has a nice cozy spot in our garage.

Thanks for the tips, Radar. I can't yet ride on my own (I only have my learner's licence), so I'm restricted to being accompanied by others. Fortunately, my husband is a very proficient and patient rider, and he hasn't at all pushed me to ride beyond my skills, although he's also very good about knowing when I'm ready to try something a little more advanced.

I have now been in just about every kind of riding situation – from long, lonely country roads to very curvy, mountainous roads to a long gravel road to heavy traffic – and even managed a five-hour ride (with breaks) over the weekend. That's the nice part of B.C. – it makes for absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous riding. The only situation I haven't really done yet is freeway riding, but I know I'm capable of the speed.

Now if I could just remember to turn off my signal . . .

Vikki

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 09/13/06 at 21:52:30

Vikki wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
. . . Now if I could just remember to turn off my signal . . .
http://www.bikerhiway.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

WWW   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/06 at 21:57:29

Vikki, I can call you kid because to me you are,I am 69 this november,my middle son turned 40 Sept 10th,my eldest is 45,my two daughters are 38 & 37,and I have 9 grandchildren,    and my Dad bless his heart is 92 and still smokes and drinks (in moderation),he still calls me kid.
          Good luck Kid and happy riding, Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 09/14/06 at 00:57:14

Congrats Vikki! You live in a beautiful part of our country ... I on the other hand am stuck out here in the cold North Atlantic  Sad

Ride Safe and Enjoy!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 09/14/06 at 06:33:39

Congratulations and welcome to the site.  Swing by Sluggo's Table in The Cafe sometime.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #8 - 09/14/06 at 06:35:14

Welcome Vikki, and good on ya for getting the 96.

After 40 years without a bike, I got my 96 last Oct after taking the MSF class. Had 6500 mi on it, got it for 1800usd. This week I turned over 12,000 miles! I love this bike, can't stay off it, ride every day to work and weekends too year around. (unless it rains, no snow in S.Calif) I still look down occasionally and discover my turnsignal flashing.

There's lots of great info and great folks on this site. Glad you found us
Have FUN.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 09/14/06 at 08:56:30

Welcome to the world of MC's. Hopefully you will get all the support you need to enjoy your new avocation. There are lots of other ladies out there who like you have take up two wheels (my wife for one).

I only know of one website for specifically for women riders you might want to drop by and read there also.
http://www.vtwinmama.com/index.htm

Keep the shiny side up.

IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Reply #10 - 09/14/06 at 09:50:25

Wow! You folks are very welcoming. I think I like it here.

Thanks for the link on the signal situation, Paladin. However, I think I'm FINALLY getting it under control. For my first several rides, my husband was constantly having to give me the hand signal (opening and closing his hand in the air) that my signal was still flashing. It's a hard thing to remember, since you don't usually have to manually turn off your signal when you're driving and my focus was more on my clutch, throttle and gear shifts.

On our last ride, I made a conscious point of trying to remember my signal and now it's getting to be almost second-nature to turn it off. My husband only had to signal me a couple of times, so I imagine that, after a couple of more rides, I'll have it down pat.

Brrrr. The North Atlantic is an area of Canada that I would love to visit, Perry, but I wouldn't want to live there. I'm a baby when it comes to the cold/snow and even what we get in my part of the world is enough for me.

I'll also be sure to check out the link to the women's motorcycle forum. I have come across another one – the forum at totalmotorcycle.com has a "ladies' lounge" – but the more, the merrier, right? It's great to share my new passion with whoever I can. Only other riders understand the obsession and, although my friends and co-workers think it's cool that I have my own bike, they don't necessarily want to hear me nattering on about it.

Vikki

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 09/14/06 at 10:12:24

Welcome Vikki, I also just recently (August) got my 95 Savage for a paltry $1200. It is a blast, and a great bike to learn your stupids. My most recent stupid being almost dropping the bike at a gas station forgetting to put the kickstand down (I thought the training wheels would hold it up).  Embarrassed I too, still suffer from blinker amnesia but it's getting better. This is a great site, lot's of good info and nice people here.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 09/14/06 at 12:39:48

welcome, from sw aridzona, debby has the '96 suzuki in our house, she is 41 and started riding this year too, she took the msf course in spring as well. i'm 44 and have been riding my whole life, so i've been her coach too. it sounds like your hubby has you on the right track. i'm sure she'll post in a few days, shes just getting over the flue. this is a great bunch of folks.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/14/06 at 15:55:52

Welcome lady biker......join the rest of us ladys....

im 44 and just got my liscence in may and just started riding.

bought a 2006, and have had my incidents too but overall its been a blast!

enjoy our group!

sue

IP Logged
BCman
YaBB Newbies

Sooke, BC Canada
Reply #14 - 09/15/06 at 00:49:07

Welcome Vikki,

Welcome to the site!
I bought my '97 Savage in Seattle in July and went through the same paperwork delays. The bike sat for over a month waiting for the federal government to send me the inspection forms required to transfer the title.
I live in Sooke but my daughter lives in your area.  We are fortunate to have  good riding weather in B.C. so I've been trying to make up for lost time and try to ride every chance I get. 8)

BCman
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:38:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage owner/rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.