Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
California EPA regs (Read 0 times)
w6k
Ex Member

California EPA regs
09/12/06 at 20:19:53

I am thinking about buying a used  LS650 from a party in Oregon. Question-- assumming the title is clean, will this bike meet Calif EPA standards and should I expect any problems when I go to register it here in Calif? suppose there are carb mods. (commen) Will the DMV check that? With all the new laws and BS I can't keep up.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: California EPA regs
Reply #1 - 09/13/06 at 08:39:36

when i left the republik of cali. 11 years ago, a motorcycle did not require a smog cert to xfer a title, the rules may have changed. call the dmv and ask, or hopefully someone living there, with recent experience, will chime in and advise.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 09/13/06 at 08:43:22

I recall reading that you cannot buy a bike outside of CA, and register it in CA, unless it has over 7k miles, assuming it is a non-CA model (i.e. some bikes come from the factory w/ certain emission mods to meet CA specs).

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 09/13/06 at 19:24:34

I don't know about motorcycle but when I brought my car from Nebraska to CA, I still need to smog check the car before I can register it. But with my 05 Savage which I bought in CA did not require a smog check for the annual registration. Check out this web page for further Info.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm#feesdue

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 09/15/06 at 10:39:12

I went through this last year.  If the bike has 15K, it's considered used and you don't have to worry about the smog.  If less than 15K, it needs to have a CA certified smog emissions label on the frame.  It's usually on the right side of the down drop tube of your frame.  Turn your front wheel to the right and look in front of your tank for a metal label.  It must have CA approval on it.  Over 15K, not a problem.

Email me of you need some assistance.  I have a good friend who's a manager at the DMV.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
w6k
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/15/06 at 18:02:09

Looks like I need to buy a high milage machine to be exempt. Most bikes advertised have had the carb altered so theywill run better. If the inspector checks for the plastic plug in the carb adjustment that could be a problem. I need to do a little more home work before buying anything out of state.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:14:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › California EPA regs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.