Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
does seat mod work on s-40 ? (Read 7 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

does seat mod work on s-40 ?
09/12/06 at 19:14:59

My wife had a friend over for dinner and when she looked at my savage she said "thats just like my girlfriends bike but she doesn't ride it much it's too uncomfortable". Her friend has an s-40 with the one piece seat and i was wondering if the seat lift method works as well as it did on my 98 savage 2 piece seat ?

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Re: does seat mod work on s-40 ?
Reply #1 - 09/12/06 at 20:29:24

I'd almost kill for a newer style seat..  Something 2003ish.  I have the older 2 piece and I just like the look of the cobblestone seat.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Re: does seat mod work on s-40
Reply #2 - 09/12/06 at 22:55:10

I have a 2005 S40.  The mod WILL NOT work on that seat.  It uses a different  front mounting method than the pre-S40 models.  I'm still trying to figure out how it'll work, but I can't see any way with out making a bracket for the side screws too.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/13/06 at 03:51:14

so it sounds like newer s-40 one piece seats don't match up easily to older savage. what year did they go to a one piece ? do any s-40's have 2 piece ?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: does seat mod work on s-40
Reply #4 - 09/13/06 at 08:28:22

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have a 2005 S40.  The mod WILL NOT work on that seat.  It uses a different  front mounting method than the pre-S40 models.  I'm still trying to figure out how it'll work, but I can't see any way with out making a bracket for the side screws too.  

Wow, that's odd.  I have an S40 gel seat on my 98 and the front mounting is identical.  It's the back that gets slightly different.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/06 at 11:40:33

On the S40, there is a tab in the front of the seat that slides under a little bracket.  If you use stoppers to raise the bracket (I tried), all you do is make it less secore for the tab to go under it.  I just thought of it but if you do the stopper mod and add a little metal plate on top of the stoppers then put the bracket on top of that, you should be able to secure the little tab between the plate and bracket.  I'm going to try it.  I'll post pics as soon as I get it done.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 09/13/06 at 12:31:48

The Savage is the same.  The image below is from one of Bobo383's Savages.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/13/06 at 16:05:22

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My wife had a friend over for dinner and when she looked at my savage she said "thats just like my girlfriends bike but she doesn't ride it much it's too uncomfortable". Her friend has an s-40 with the one piece seat and i was wondering if the seat lift method works as well as it did on my 98 savage 2 piece seat ?

I am quite surprised by this. I find on my S40 I never get sore, I have always had to stop for gas before my bum gets numb.
I am only 5ft 1" so maybe that is it, I find the bike a perfect fit for someone so vertically challenged.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/13/06 at 16:12:16

I never get sore on my rear either, but hubby said it's because I have extra padding there. Wink
I do get sore on the inside of my legs, but know that's because I have to stretch to reach the ground.(scant 26" inseam).

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 09/13/06 at 21:02:36

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I never get sore on my rear either, but hubby said it's because I have extra padding there. Wink
I do get sore on the inside of my legs, but know that's because I have to stretch to reach the ground.(scant 26" inseam).  

ya know, if ya bob it, you can put on a chopper seat and lower it considerably. ground to seat on mine 24 inches.
take a look

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/13/06 at 21:32:31

I stand corrected.  The seat mount in the front is the same.  How do you make the front tab on the seat stay up?  I sit on it and it just goes back to the same height...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 09/14/06 at 07:07:09

my neighbor george came over the other day with his 96 w seat mod and we were compairing to my 06..
id think one would have to mod the side mounts also to gain any height in the front could be done with longer bolts and spacers like the front..may need a longer screw for the back (no spacers) to help line every thing up..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/14/06 at 07:19:46

Take your seat to an upholstery shop and have them add padding and recover it. I added 1-1/2" to mine. It cost about $150.00 for the three peices.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:15:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › does seat mod work on s-40 ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.