Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dilemma (Read 8 times)
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Dilemma
09/10/06 at 09:06:07

My brother has a Ducati Monster 620 and I would like to get a Savage/S40 (yes, still looking).  My other choices are an older Buell Cyclone or a Ninja 250.  

I will mostly go riding with my brother.  He likes the twisties and I am concerned about being able to keep up with him on a Savage/S40.  I already kart race, so have little interest in "racing" on the road.  

Have any of you ridden your Savage/S40 on the twisties with a friend who has a sportbike?  Is there any compatability or will we just have to agree to meet somewhere down the road?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Re: Dilemma
Reply #1 - 09/10/06 at 10:38:55

I haven't ridden with a sport bike but do occasionally have as company, riders on Big Harleys, choppers and other larger bikes. I don't have any problem keeping up, in fact I am often in the lead. The Savage is quite nimble, & does a great job on twisties. That's my favorite ride.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 09/10/06 at 10:43:31

Hard question - no idea how your buddy rides that Ducati - the savage runs well (better with some help - jets&exhaust,etc) and handles ok (pretty well with some help - shocks,tires,fork brace,etc) but in the right hands the Ducati will run off and leave any cruiser ever made in the curves.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 09/10/06 at 15:16:57

I took Thumper on the Angeles Crest a while back.  Nobody passed me and I was nowhere near pushing the limits.  No one was grossly breaking the speed limits.

As Reelthing said, it depends on the rider more than the bike.  For a cruiser the Savage handles very well, from what I've heard.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 09/10/06 at 15:19:19

My advice is ... Don't Race on public Roads ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/10/06 at 17:03:57

As cruisers go, the S40 is about as nimble as they get, mostly from the light weight. But, the rake & trail figures are 35 degrees/5.8" compared to a sportbike's typical 25/4-5" so on a tight winding road, if you're really pushing it, it takes a bit longer to lean it over back & forth & the front end feedback is a little benign in those conditions. But, turn it down a notch & it's in it's element. A few things make a big improvement; 12 1/2" shocks, fork brace, Metzler ME880 tires & 20W fork oil work wonders if you push it to its limits in the corners, especially bumpy ones.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 09/10/06 at 17:39:21

With the same rider skill level, any sport bike mildly exercised will leave the Savage (and probably any cruiser) far behind, twisties or not. But there are enough differences in rider skill level that the savage can keep up or excel in many cases.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 09/10/06 at 19:16:05

My wife has a Ninja 250 and I have a Savage. (We're both beginners.)  

I have riden her Ninja several times. I think it's more of a standard bike than a sport bike, but it is more nimble and flickable than a Savage.  The Savage is more torquey, and, with the mods, seems to have more power than a Ninja 250.

Different bikes, both good in their own ways.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #8 - 09/10/06 at 19:48:50

Thanks all... I really appreciate the feedback!!!  

I keep coming back to the Savage/S40, even though some months ago, I came this close to buying a Ninja 250.  I took it out with the owner, who also had some type of a sit-up Yamaha.  When we got to the furthest point on the test ride, I traded with him and felt soooo much more comfortable on the Yamaha.  I need the sit-up-right position, so even if I did end up with a not-so-sporty sport bike, I would still have to change the handlebars.

I really don't have the urge to go all out while riding, I just want to go for nice country rides.  I guess I need to listen to what I am saying Smiley

Getting my bike seems to be taking along time, but that's OK, I have a few other projects I need to finish first.  One of these days, I hope I surprise you all with a Savage/S40 Smiley

Hi Paladin!  Since I live in N. California, can you tell me more about Angels Crest?

Steve530,  do you have any problems when you go for rides with your wife....dissimilarities in handling, keeping up with each other, not other problems Wink

PS.  I forgot to say, I also came this close to buying an '87 Savage a year ago or so.  I even took the $ and my trailer to go pick it up, but it had wayyyy too much rust Sad

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
TVRacersbrother
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/10/06 at 20:28:38

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My advice is ... Don't Race on public Roads ...

Great advice.  As big brother to TVRacer I wanted to clarify Tom's post.  Having a Monster 620 and Tom thinking about a Savage I suggested he post to see what others' thoughts were on whether a Savage rider would feel either left behind or not enjoy the riding experience as much as possible when riding with a Monster ridden sportingly but NOT RACING ON PUBLIC STREETS.  I like to ride fast but smooth; not use the brakes very much; and just have a good time making time a little above the speed limits on the slower posted twisty roads with few cars.  If Tom gets a Savage and is pushing it to try to keep up with me then it won't be as much fun for him.  I'm 62, a fairly good rider with 40,000 long ago street miles and intend to stay alive and keep the bike on its feet (don't we all think that!).  Well, hopefully.  Hi Bro.

Steve Stephens

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 09/10/06 at 21:26:38

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks all...
Hi Paladin!  Since I live in N. California, can you tell me more about Angels Crest?....

http://savage.andruschak.net/Twisties/

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 09/11/06 at 02:16:15

Sorry fellows ... I really didn't mean to raise any hackles ... it's just that "trying to keep up" with more experienced Riders is a mistake that a lot of Newbies make ... have done it myself ... can lead to a heap big pile 'o hurt ...  Sad

An aside ... was feeling pretty low when I made my earlier post, as I had just returned from our local Toys for Tots Charity Ride ... great weather, great turn out, but an old friend of mine, her sister and neice went down ... cut off by a cager yakking on a darn cell phone ... taken to hospital via ambulance ... no word yet on extent of injuries ...  Sad

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 09/11/06 at 05:24:37

TVRacersbrother - hello and welcome -

You have the riding experience and know what you ride like. Test ride a Savage for your brother through an area like what you want to ride in the future riding in your normal style, time the ride, then take the Ducati and ride it like you normally would ride and time the ride. Big difference in times is going to probably lead to your brother pushing the Savage trying to keep up. If you are riding at a pace that allows the Savage to keep up, then the problem shouldn't exist.

If you feel like you're still learning the Ducati and going faster each ride, the above suggestion isn't going to work.

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #13 - 09/11/06 at 10:06:00

Thanks Paladin!

Perry, no worries, and I'm sorry to hear about the accident.

mornhm, your post (great idea, BTW!) gave me an idea.  They rent Harleys and while I don't want one, that will give me some idea about riding a Savage with my brother.   When he says  "I like to ride fast but smooth; not use the brakes very much", gee, why does that sound just like me when I am kart racing Cheesy  I have the feeling he may be riding closer to the edge than I agree with.  But since he just took off on a 10 day trip, he is not here to defend himself....HA Smiley

We get along great, so there's no worries on anything you may say to either of us.

I'm not a newbie rider, I had many motorcycles for years, but that was also years ago, but have been riding a bit recently.

Hey, I might just go ahead and get the Savage/S40 anyway and just tell my brother to shove it Wink  He can just wait up for me!

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/12/06 at 11:01:33

I've put about 3000 miles on my wife's S40 this summer, commuting to work (this involves gravel, country road, and town streets). I've found the bike light, smooth, and comfortable to ride, and the only thing I don't think I would care for is 70mph freeway all day (60 works much better).
I also ride a Honda XR650R - a desert racer - that's been made street-legal. Compared to the S40, the XR is much faster and better handling, but quite twitchy, due to the short wheelbase.

I think the XR is one level up in handling, but it's not near as comfortable or fun to ride on the street. Wish I had a better comparison for you. If it were me, I'd probably be partial to the Buell, but I haven't been on one, so I wouldn't know for sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:35:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dilemma

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.