Send Topic Print
Dilemma (Read 8 times)
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Re: Dilemma
Reply #15 - 09/12/06 at 20:34:09

MacAttack,

Great, that's what I have been looking for, comparisons, even if you are not talking about a sportbike.

My big button is not top speed, just decent acceleration and upright seating position.  I won't be doing much freeway riding.

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 09/12/06 at 21:10:03

well, how much you have to spend?

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #17 - 09/12/06 at 21:17:13

Nothing now Smiley  $6000 next year.

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 09/12/06 at 21:24:08

well hells bells that can put you on serious steed!

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #19 - 09/13/06 at 05:15:30

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Nothing now Smiley  $6000 next year.

Tom

I get the impression you are looking at used MC's. For that kind of money you can get a very recent Kawasaki Concours (my latest MC) and keep up with pretty much any MC without effort. Plus you can carry your raingear and only purchase at every other gas stop  Wink

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #20 - 09/13/06 at 10:35:44

Well, as you can tell, I just haven't made up my mind as yet.   Although, at this point, I am 90% for getting a Savage/S40.  I would prefer not to spend the $6000, and even a new S40 is only $4399.

Used Savage/S40, perhaps.  I was just so dissapointed with the last used Savage I tried to buy.  It just made me think, with a brand new bike, I wouldn't have to worry about replacing anything.

I have seen the Kawasaki Concours before, and you are correct, that would fit both sportsbike/cruiser categories, however, it's wayyyyy too heavy.  I will use my little kart trailer to also haul my bike long distances, and shouldn't go much over 425 lbs.  Another thing great about the Suzuki, the weight!

I cannot believe there aren't more comparisons out there with those who have ridden both a sportbike and the Savage/S40 in regards to handling?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 09/13/06 at 12:36:11

The proper crotch rockets make my back, kidneys, and wrists ache after about an hour at most, as well as folding my heels up under my cheeks is just not very comfortable to me. But there's a wide margin in the way "sport bikes" are made - the bikes nearer to a "standard" with an upright position are quite reasonable to ride - so it must be 425lbs or less - that should narrow the field some.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #22 - 09/13/06 at 13:57:09

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have seen the Kawasaki Concours before, and you are correct, that would fit both sportsbike/cruiser categories, however, it's wayyyyy too heavy.  I will use my little kart trailer to also haul my bike long distances, and shouldn't go much over 425 lbs.  Another thing great about the Suzuki, the weight!

I cannot believe there aren't more comparisons out there with those who have ridden both a sportbike and the Savage/S40 in regards to handling?

Tom

As you point out, the Concours is a bit piggy. However the advantage of a MC like that is you put the trailer away and just ride.Smiley  Also all is forgiven once she starts moving Grin and most things forgotten once she gets above 7,000 rpm Grin Grin

As far as getting lots of comparisons, most people that are on this forum don't have sport bikes, they have Savages, and a fair number have the Savage as their only MC. Also a sport bike is about as far removed from a Savage for comparison as you can get and not be pedalling and still have wheels on the ground. I know it doesn't help you a lot, but as I said before there really isn't much comparison, a sport bike is going to leave a cruiser especially a low powered cruiser in the rear view mirror. The sport/touring bikes that I have ridden are like they are on rails. They have way more ground clearance than a cruiser (Many times on the Savage just on normal riding, I  found myself dragging the pegs around corners) and usually a much higher HP to weight ratio. As you get more into the sport end of things, the MC's become much easier to lean into turns. Finally Sport MC's (at least for some) are much more comfortable to ride.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 09/13/06 at 14:46:16

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Finally Sport MC's (at least for some) are much more comfortable to ride.

He77 to get old - better than not I guess Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 09/13/06 at 15:05:03

Have you considered the Ninja 650 twin?  I have not ridden one myself but by all reports it is an excellent all around bike.  Light weight like the Savage, a good bit more power, good handling, about $5500, upright seating for a semi-sportbike/standard type bike, etc.  I have read about 6 write-ups on it and all of them like it.  Recently it was voted one of the best bikes of the year, but I cannot remember which pub did that.
If I had to replace my Savage, and stay in this price range, this would be my choice.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #25 - 09/13/06 at 19:15:37

Just add to the note when chossing your bike. The insurance on Savage is on the bottom end while the sport bike category is  ??? (high end most likely). I agree with Lancer about the Ninja 650; I wish I have the mula to add that bike to my garage.JMO

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #26 - 09/13/06 at 19:51:35

I like that Ninja 650 too. Read everything I can find on it & lurked on their forum some. Probably suits my riding style better but more $$$. Tongue The U.K. website lists a thicker padded seat as a factory option. They should sell those in the U.S. You might find a used Ninja 650 for $5K or so.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #27 - 09/14/06 at 11:31:01

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
As far as getting lots of comparisons, most people that are on this forum don't have sport bikes, they have Savages, and a fair number have the Savage as their only MC. Also a sport bike is about as far removed from a Savage for comparison as you can get and not be pedalling and still have wheels on the ground.

Makes sense Smiley

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Have you considered the Ninja 650 twin?

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I like that Ninja 650 too.

Ohhhhh, yes!!!!  I like the European naked version much better.  I wish they had that over here.

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Just add to the note when chossing your bike. The insurance on Savage is on the bottom end while the sport bike category is  ??? (high end most likely)

Interesting, good point!  I hadn't even thought about that much, as my brother's Duc insurance is cheap!!

Still 90-95% leaning towards Savage/S40 Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dilemma