Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing Savage Rear Wheel :( (Read 36 times)
mirmont
Ex Member

Removing Savage Rear Wheel :(
09/08/06 at 07:22:03

Howdy folks...talk about bad luck.

My bike is falling apart! I got into an accident August 16th that did some damage to it...

It was still rideable though..but last night I found a nail in the tire Sad

I'm going to take it to get fixed but I just want to take the wheel. Is it just the two bolts on either side?

IP Logged
mirmont
Ex Member

Re: Removing Savage Rear Wheel :(
Reply #1 - 09/08/06 at 07:31:04

Do people even patch motorcycle tires?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 09/08/06 at 07:32:41

big bolt holds the wheel in the swing arm, drop the left side first, remove the spacer, then a little finagling with the rear brake, should allow the wheel to drop right out.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/08/06 at 08:09:49

re patching tire - if you mean tire, can't  see plugging a tire with a tube would do anything - morevoer I would not trust a plug when you only have 2 wheels & hard pavement not too farv from youre  body.

Patching a tube - yeah, can be done - I did it in the olden days before tubeless tires, but for under $10 I'd advise a new tube - cheap insurance about the patch lifting & you riding a monocycel!!

re removing wheel - though correct in saying how you take the wheel out - I found the "finangling" quite a pain!
George Smiley

IP Logged
mirmont
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/08/06 at 08:16:07

Could you please elaborate on "Remove the spacer" ? I took off the big bolt..that was tight as all hell... Now there are those six or seven lug nuts on the round(im assuming you're calling this the spacer) object that holds the belt...the bolts seem to be connected to the wheel. Should I remove those bolts ?

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
big bolt holds the wheel in the swing arm, drop the left side first, remove the spacer, then a little finagling with the rear brake, should allow the wheel to drop right out.

IP Logged
mirmont
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/08/06 at 08:17:43

Also what do you mean by "Drop the left side first"? I'm sorry but I'm quite a newbie to motorcycling and every possible detail is most appreciated and most needed Smiley. Thanks!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 09/08/06 at 08:26:12

Hang on there a second - take off the belt guard and take off the rear brake adjusting nut on the threaded shaft (makes like easier), losen the axle nut, and adjusters enough so you can slide the wheel forward, and roll the belt off, once you pull the axle shaft the spacers and all will fall on the ground they go on the axle

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 09/08/06 at 08:34:08

IP Logged
billy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/08/06 at 08:37:37

This is how I did it. first I loosened the bolts that you use to pull the belt tight. Then I loosen the brake cable. Next I loosened the nut on the left hand side and pulled the bolt to the right,BIG PIA ! Next push slightly forward on the tire to loosen the brake stop lever. At this point it fell off the bikew in to my hand.
Putting the wheel back on was a bigger chore to me.You have to put everything on and push it through at the same time. an adjustable stand would have been nice.
Any body know a better way or any thing i left out.

IP Logged
mirmont
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/08/06 at 08:40:15

Does the bike have to be on a stand, leaning on the side, or straight up in riding position?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 09/08/06 at 08:46:19

on a center stand/MC jack is what I use

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/08/06 at 08:46:55

On the side stand, I block the bike to as close to an upright position as I can.  Then I take a floor jack and put under the plate at the mid-point of the bike and jack it up just enough to raise the rear wheel for removal.  Note that the bike still isn't bolt upright, you need a bit of lean to it to keep it balanced and secure while on the floor jack.

IP Logged
mirmont
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/08/06 at 08:48:06

Hmm..I don't have a center stand or a jack..I'm contemplating just taking it into the mechanic and having them do it.

It's $30 to patch the tire by itself, or $50 if I take the whole bike in there.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/08/06 at 08:49:43

If you have some blocks, get a friend and lift the bike up and slide some blocks under that plate.  It's doable.  No Savage has a center stand, unless somebody rigs one up.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 09/08/06 at 08:51:24

mirmont wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hmm..I don't have a center stand or a jack.

Take a look at Rikko's Build Your Own Bike Lift/Stand in the Tech Ref forum.  It'll work for you and you'll probably use it a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:27:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Savage Rear Wheel :(

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.