Help! Camshaft chain? (Read 5 times)
Maverick
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Fla. West Coast
Help! Camshaft chain?
09/07/06 at 09:39:12

Hi folks, this is my first time asking for help and I would sure appreciate any you can give.
I was leaving my garage yesterday in first gear when I heard a loud "ping" sound followed by what sounded like metal rattling around in the engine.  The engine cut off and although it would turn over it would not restart.  I thought that I might have broken the camshaft chain and removed the lower right engine (clutch) housing but can't see where the chain may be broken.  It's still on the sprocket at the lower end and appears tight.. The bike is a 1987 with 28k miles on it, only mod has been the petc0ck one.  Checked Tech section but could find nothing on what to look for regarding the camshaft chain. Clymers not much help either.  Could it be something else  ???   Any help on where to go from here will be appreciated.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Help! Camshaft chain?
Reply #1 - 09/07/06 at 09:51:43

uh, maybe a valve too?  When my camchain tensioner went, the bike still ran, but had almost no power.  somehow I did not bend my valves or punch a hole in the piston.  

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/07/06 at 14:57:10

sounds exactly what happened to mine when the camchain went.  Mine pretended to start too. Bent valves and cost a buttload to fix. (like 1500).

Do a compression test on it is my guess.

IP Logged
Maverick
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Fla. West Coast
Reply #3 - 09/08/06 at 05:18:33

I have searched the tech section but am unable to find any info on how to remove the camshaft chain.  Do you have to remove the engine?  I can't afford to have someone else do it so if there are directions posted somewhere please let me know.

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/08/06 at 06:47:43

I have never done this, but I happen to have my Clymer's next to my computer desk  8) and the write-up for the "Cylinder Head Cover, Camshaft, and Cylinder Head" starts at the bottom of page 75 and continues on to page 92.

IP Logged
Maverick
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Fla. West Coast
Reply #5 - 09/08/06 at 23:38:16

Thanks Island_Biker.  Have picked up a Clymers and started on the tear down.  Looks like I'll have to completely remove the engine to get to the cam chain.  I'm sure I will be asking alot more questions before this job is finished.  Stay tuned Grin

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 09/09/06 at 08:38:38

Whoa, you can do the cam chain in frame. You can only replace one of the 2 chain guides however. It is detiled here on the forum someplace and I've done it on mine. My cautions are in that post as I made a couple  "whoops" and was willing to share them, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 09/09/06 at 09:37:31

Maverick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
 I thought that I might have broken the camshaft chain and removed the lower right engine (clutch) housing but can't see where the chain may be broken.  It's still on the sprocket at the lower end and appears tight..

Remove the valve inspection covers and turn the engine over to see if the rocker arms are moving. If they are actuating then your cam chain is intact. Can you do a compression test? Is the cam chain self adjusting ratcheting mechanism in the middle position or at the end of its travel? Are the tensioners under pressure or do they feel loose?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 09/10/06 at 12:22:19

Another part that should be replaced when you remove the cam cover is the figure 8 lower case "O" ring that seals the pressure to the rocker shafts. We didn't use a new one on my B-i-L's plug repair and he has a slight leak there now. Only wets the left side of the bike on a run. Will fix it after we get the last cutting of hay done up a couple weeks. Max

IP Logged
Maverick
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Fla. West Coast
Reply #9 - 09/11/06 at 07:30:28

bentwheel,
thanks for the advice on checking the rocker arms.  when I turn the engine over the rockers do move up and down.  The chain tensioner looks like it is all the way out and the front chain guide is loose enough to move by hand.  Does that mean I need to replace the chain or just the guide or both ???

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 09/11/06 at 12:36:53

As long as you are in there, I do the chain, tensioner and guide. The tensioner wears out as the pins and plates in the chain wear. The guide is probably less critical if it doesn't look like the chain has worna groove in it. My tensioner was ready to fall out and it fell apart when I moved it. The housing the slide runs in was worn out of round, but the slide part was OK. Use a couple pennies inbetween the gears to get the crank nut loose and remember it is left hand thread. My air gun was set wrong and I cracked the crank gear for the chain so added a coupe weeks to the process waiting for parts. Max

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 06:28:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! Camshaft chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.