Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with Jetting (Read 5 times)
jesusworship819
Ex Member

Help with Jetting
09/06/06 at 16:26:15

My Savage runs lean  Shocked  and I have heard that redoing the jetting can make it run like a top.   Any information on how to install the jets and what jets to use would be great.  Pictures would be helpfull.  Thanks

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Help with Jetting
Reply #1 - 09/06/06 at 16:50:12

jesusworship819 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My Savage runs lean  Shocked  and I have heard that redoing the jetting can make it run like a top.   Any information on how to install the jets and what jets to use would be great.  Pictures would be helpfull.  Thanks

you should use the search feature. rejetting is well documented on the site. Your jet selection is determined by how you ride and elevation. You will spend less time removing and installing the new jets than you will getting the soft screws off the carb top and bowl. Be sure to buy some SS allen screws as replacements for the soft carb screws. ask more questions after you study the info in the tech forums. BTW, If your rejetting you will need to do something about the exhaust, intake and spark. Got to keep the trinity in balance. good luck and happy wrenching.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 09/06/06 at 18:17:40

Tell us what mods (exhaust change, air filter change, etc.) you've done to your bike and what altitude you live at and we can give you some recommendations for jets to run.

As for how to do it, it's well documented in the Tech section here.

IP Logged
jesusworship819
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/07/06 at 08:52:45

My savage is completely stock except for a HD muffler thanks

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #4 - 09/07/06 at 11:54:29

Hey guys, I am also a newbie to this sight and am interested in modding my 98' savage.

It is currently stock, but i have purchased a supertrapp muffler, K&N cone filter, and a dynajet kit.  I am waiting to get them together so i dont have to rejet after each install.  My bike is running really lean at the moment (i think) due to the loud backfire when shutting off the engine.  I have not attempted the white spacer mod nor touched any of the mixture screws.  I would really appreciate some suggestions on jet sizes and setup to minimize trial and error and having to go through a case of plugs  Tongue  

also, i was thinking of getting the iridium plug once i find the optimum carb/jet setting.  Do i need to rejet after putting in the plug.  

Thanks,

Hashbrown

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 09/07/06 at 12:26:06

hashB,

no rejet w/ new sparker.  Not familiar w/ the dj sizes... sorry.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 09/07/06 at 14:04:25

There's a basic jet size cross-reference between Mikuni and DJ in the Tech Ref forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #7 - 09/07/06 at 14:12:53

The Mikuni is the stock jet right?  Do i really need the DJ or can i just get the right size stock jet for the supertrapp and pod filter

aatif96   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 09/07/06 at 14:27:35

the mikuni MAIN jet sizes you need would probbaly be (I'm giving a range, here) 145-155.  these are the "Big Round" types.  As for pilot, the stock one might be okay, but you may need up to 1 full size up.  The DJ jets will work, it's jsut that they are numbered differently.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #9 - 09/07/06 at 15:02:34

jesusworship819 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My savage is completely stock except for a HD muffler thanks

How high above sea level do you live??

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #10 - 09/07/06 at 15:03:25

about 200 ft

aatif96   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #11 - 09/07/06 at 18:16:28

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
about 200 ft

IMHO use a 52.5 pilot, a 152 main and half spacer with a K&N filter, the adjust to you sweet spot with air fuel screw. If you get pops on upshift, its usually an intake or exhaust leak. Now get to wrenching.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #12 - 09/07/06 at 18:18:37

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
IMHO use a 52.5 pilot, a 152 main and half spacer with a K&N filter, the adjust to you sweet spot with air fuel screw. If you get pops on upshift, its usually an intake or exhaust leak. Now get to wrenching.

add "n" and "r" to this post as needed. Thank the doctors for generous scripts.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #13 - 09/07/06 at 22:36:08

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The Mikuni is the stock jet right?  Do i really need the DJ or can i just get the right size stock jet for the supertrapp and pod filter

You don't need a Dynojet kit. I'm running a Supertrapp, stock air filter, 157.5 large round Mikuni main jet, 1/2 white spacer, and slow mixture screw out a couple turns. Since you want a K&N, which will make your bike leaner than mine, I'd suggest at least a 157.5 main jet. My bike runs real strong with this jetting. It starts easy and gets 52-55 mpg.

jesusworship819 - if you're running a standard HD muffler and not the Screaming Eagle, go with 152.5 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, and slow mix screw out 1 1/2 or 2 turns.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #14 - 09/08/06 at 06:14:28

Dynobob, will the supertrapp make my savage rumble?  Im looking for a lower pitch as well as performance.  Will it do that stock or do i have to adjust something?

aatif96   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:26:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with Jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.