Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No power at highway speeds (Read 2 times)
Stims
Ex Member

No power at highway speeds
09/06/06 at 11:24:18

Hi everybody!  I got myself a used savage a few months ago.  It's my first bike and I absolutely love it.  I finally got enough courage to try the highways, and I noticed a problem.  When I get about 55-60 it either has gobs of power, or strains to keep that speed.  More times than not it's straining.  Any idea what the problem is?  I haven't done any mods to it.  It's got about 5500 miles on it.  Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: No power at highway speeds
Reply #1 - 09/06/06 at 11:39:29

For the most part, I'd guess it's nearing the limitations of the main jet.  The only thing that gives me pause is that you say it sometimes has power and other times doesn't.  That part makes me think of two things.  The first is interference with fuel flow.  This could be anything from a dirty carb to a leaky vacuum line to a clogged petc0ck filter.  Try draining the float bowl to see if it has crud in it.  Verify the integrity of the vacuum line and clean the petc0ck.  When you pull the petc0ck, you can check your tank for crud too.  In the middle of this, I'd install an inline fuel filter to help ensure cleaner fuel for the carb.  They run anywhere from about $2 to $45, depending on what you want.  I use a $3 disposable clear one and change it annually.  The second thing that comes to mind is less likely but possible anyway - clutch slippage.  This is not very likely with a low mileage bike unless it's been abused a lot or maybe you're using a pure synthetic oil not made for wet clutches or one that has friction modifiers that make it incompatible with wet clutches.  If it's generally just running out of oomph as you approach full throttle, I'd say it's time to rejet and retune.  I'm sure there are other ideas out there.  Anyone else?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 09/06/06 at 12:02:16

Way back on Bert's (the original German forum) drivers had problems with the slide sticking in the carb. Solution was to add some Marvel mystery oil or other top end type engine oil to the fuel in small amounts. Other replaced the slide/diaphram assembly at great expense. Might be worth checking on as a possible problem/solution. FYI our carbs are considered a CV (constant velocity) style and opening the throttle plate only is a request for more air/fuel mixture, it is provided by the slide and needle moving up. If it sticks you get little or no repsonse. I've driven my B-iL-'s savage with one of Lancer's direct acting carbs and there is a positive difference in throttle response.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/07/06 at 23:48:36

at 55 to 60 mph you should have lots of power and acceration left. you should be able to jump up to 75 or 80 with just a twist of the throttle. even with stock jets. you have a carberator problem or something stuck in a fuel line.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #4 - 09/08/06 at 04:44:07

Loose battery connection can have the same effect. Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No power at highway speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.