Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New 06 S40 (Read 1 times)
jmerry
Ex Member

New 06 S40
09/06/06 at 10:30:20

Hey guys,

I've got a new S40 that I've added a slip on HD Dyna muffler to.   The bike runs really well, but I think that the mixture is too lean as it seems to bog in the lower RPM range.  I also have some backfiring when I ease off the throttle.  

Can someone give me a step by step (I have no experience with carbs but am very good with my hands) rendition of the fix for rejetting?  Also, will this void my warranty for bike?  I can remove the bolt on HD muffler fairly easy if I need to take it in, but will the carb changes void it?

Thanks!!

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: New 06 S40
Reply #1 - 09/06/06 at 14:48:43

Pretty sure the carb mods will bring the factory warranty to an early demise. Most folks wait at least untill the 600 mile break-in service before tinkering. As for the walk through, look in the tech section. It has all the mods lined out for the taking. Most have pics and step by step but if you still have questions then here we are.

Oh and BTW. The bike comes from the factory lean so adding the HD muffler just made it worse.

WWW   IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/07/06 at 05:23:42

So, in your opinion, would you replace the HD with the stock muffler until the warranty is out and I can make the needed carb adjustments?  The bike runs pretty good and sounds better, but I think the performance was a tad better with the stock.  

Thanks again!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 09/07/06 at 05:30:37

If it were me I'd sure wait until I got some miles on it before tune'n the carb so I'd wait on the free flow exhaust as well. How much do you ride it ?

IP Logged
jmerry
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/07/06 at 06:17:49

I ride the bike everyday, almost.  It's due the 600 mile service, actually.  Before I installed the HD muffler, it would backfire almost every time the bike is shut off, but with it, it sputters a little during deceleration, but not at shut off.  

Anyway, I definately like the way the HD looks and sounds as apposed to the stock muffler, but I don't want to take anything away from the way the bike performs.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #5 - 09/07/06 at 07:32:53

I put a HD on my 96 and only did the pilot screw adjust, the one where you have to drill out the cover over the screw. Runs very strong now, pops a bit on shifting, but no big bang at shutdown.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 09/07/06 at 22:41:54

I'd keep the HD muffler and even rejet. I understand it won't void warranty unless your bike has an issue directly related to the mods. Rejet when you get a chance - it makes a big difference in performance. It should stop most of the popping too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:26:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 06 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.