Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Milage (Read 3 times)
TomG
Ex Member

Gas Milage
08/27/06 at 11:21:03

Hello to all:   I'm just new to your site & bikeing. just bought a 2000 Savage and would like to know an eazy way to keep track of the fuel left in the tank ? I guess this sounds like a stupid question :What is the estimated milage I should be getting per mile?  Grin

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Re: Gas Milage
Reply #1 - 08/27/06 at 11:45:28

I get 50mpg commuting on city streets, upwards of 55mpg if I do some freeway or mountain riding. I bought a little luggage lock at the 99¢ store and hooked it on one of the cable ties on the right handlebar. I dial in the last 3 digits of my odometer when I fill-up. Then when I have gone 110-120 miles, I listen for a sputter while riding or slowdown at idle, then switch to reserve, try to get fill-up again in next 20 miles.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
TomG
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/27/06 at 11:50:08

Great Idea!  I'll give that a try.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/27/06 at 16:26:42

TomG wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Hello to all:   I'm just new to your site & bikeing. just bought a 2000 Savage and would like to know an eazy way to keep track of the fuel left in the tank ? I guess this sounds like a stupid question :What is the estimated milage I should be getting per mile?  Grin

only stupid question is the one not asked...
i find a station every 100 miles or when switching to reserve, have yet to carry a gas can to see how far reserve gets me..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
TomG
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/27/06 at 16:45:50

Thanks.  I guess if I would have done more reading in the forum I would have seen that I'm not the only one with this problem ???  I did get a few good idea's.

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/27/06 at 16:57:53

I use a grease pencil and just write my mileage on the lens of the speedo meter...i usually fill up every 100 miles or there abouts...

IP Logged
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/28/06 at 20:36:26

New to the site but I have started filling up at the 100 mile mark no matter what!
that is my trip gage
12,300 fill it then I look down and see 12, 375 and I am planning a stop in 25 miles has worked great for me!

If I miss a fill up I do it as sson as possible and get back on track the next time the odo reads the double 00.

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/29/06 at 08:01:24

My odo is in kilometres so I fill every 150 kms. Like cowboyupdjcarl, if I get off track, I just fill on the next 00 or 50.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/29/06 at 09:30:28

You could always open the the gas cap and take a peek,if you cant see the gas because it's dark in there,just light a match and hold it over the opening,a second later you won't care how much gas you have.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/29/06 at 10:05:52

I always open the cap, tilt the bike back & forth to see how much is in there, maybe I need a match?

When I first started riding that was the only way to check our gas so it is an old habit, #2 daughter also checks her gas that way, Family Tradition Cheesy

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 08/29/06 at 15:20:36

My bone-stock LS650 usually runs around 55 mpg ... have gotten a fair bit higher than this on a few Rides where I tend to keep the speed constant (usually between 55-65 kph @ 3rd & 4th gears).

I too use a 3 digit luggage lock to keep track of milage between gas-ups

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #11 - 09/04/06 at 15:19:23

I don't have a Savage/S40, but don't they have a resetable trip meter/odometer? Just zero it at every fillup.Then you can write down the number of miles since the last fillup, devide by the amount of gas you took to fill it up, and you'll know what your getting in mpg.Then you can easily decide at what mileage you should refill it at.Too bad the tanks are small on these bikes, because from what I've read they get pretty good fuel economy.

jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/04/06 at 15:21:14

jjn wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
   I don't have a Savage/S40, but don't they have a resetable trip meter/odometer?

No they do not.

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/06/06 at 13:07:30

I use the luggage lock method as well. Works a treat. I glued mine on the brake resevoir with epoxy resin (tip, cover up the numbers, or glue might get in and they will never turn)
I have a rejetted (152.5) 2005 Savage and get between 160K and 180 K before hitting reserve when open road riding.
I aim to fill up at around 160K

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:24:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Milage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.