Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Install larger gas tank (Read 30 times)
dunk
Ex Member

Install larger gas tank
09/04/06 at 22:20:59

Hi! I haven't "been on board" since I tightened the speedometer screws under the gas tank earlier this year!  Embarrassed  It did help some with the noise.  

I installed an engine guard and highway pegs two days before Larry and I left for South Dakota.  How I wish I had done that years ago!   Roll Eyes

Now . . . I want to put a larger gas tank on and I seem to recall mention of others at this site doing just that.  Am I right?  If so, a gas tank from what brand/model bike?  Can you tell me what other "parts" are involved, or should I just let my dealer's shop crew advise me on that?

About how many $'s are we talking?  I have a feeling the answer will make this a winter project, giving me time to get the $ together.  I don't want it "laid up" right now anyway!   Cheesy

If I do order the parts I'll most likely be asking for any helpful hints, again!  Smiley   Your help on getting my gas tank off this spring was priceless!  Thank you, all!

Could someone who's exchanged his/her gas tank please post a photo and tell me how many miles you now get, on average, per tank full?

Anyway . . . thanks again for all your help earlier.

Dunk

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Install larger gas tank
Reply #1 - 09/05/06 at 06:21:33

Since I'm out here in the west where it's often a stretch to the next open gas station, I will pretty near need more fuel capacity if I wish to travel out of the city.

I'm looking at the smaller aluminum Tour Tank.  I figure getting a catseye taillight tail light that should, by the looks of it, replace the license plate light and allow me to lose that humpy stock tail light.  The Tour Tank could then mount low on the rear of the sissybar.

That would give me about 5 gallons total -- 300 miles at 60 mpg.

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 09/05/06 at 06:58:17

if i were going to do that job, and i still might, i would be looking at the variety of aftermarket harley type tanks available. the sportster suffers from the same "bar hopper" fuel capacity, and the demensions are very similar to the savage. the speedometer replacement will need to be included in project.

"I installed an engine guard and highway pegs two days before Larry and I left for South Dakota.  How I wish I had done that years ago!"
which engine guard did you use? it appears to me, that the highway pegs on the suzuki engine guard, would have the riders right calf very close to the exhaust pipe, did you find that to be an issue?
do we get a trip report? were'd you go? what'd you see? some of us have been stuck at home this summer.  :'(

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 09/05/06 at 07:26:38

When I started looking into adding a tank to my Savage, I couldn't find an easy solution. The "tanks" that had been substituted for a stock tank by others were going to require serious rework (there was no bolt on solution that I found). I wasn't real keen on the complexity of a tour tank for an everyday commute, so I gave up and went with a different MC. If I was absolutely determined to put more fuel capacity on a Savage, I would go the replacement tank route and associated work.

One other word of advice, having a 7.5 gallon tank on the MC I currently ride, I can tell you that the extra weight up top (from empty to full) makes a difference in handling especially at low speeds, so proceed cautiously when modifying basic parameters of a vehicle (weight distribution).

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/05/06 at 13:14:30

Our old friend Peter the Blacksmith of 20th anniversary fame installed a Kawasaki Vulcan tank on his "Pigster" Savage, which if I remeber rightly took the fuel capacity up to 15.5 litres.  He also said it took little more than a couple of drillings to make it fit.  Trouble is I don't remember which model Kawasaki it was, and as model designations vary between Europe and US it may be a little unclear anyway.  Ever since reading about Peter's swap I've wanted to do the same to the Lettuce but as yet its still on the to do sometime list.  

One complicating factor is the in-tank speedo.  Kawa VN models also have in-tank instruments so could perhaps take the Savage speedo or use their own.  For other tanks in the conventional over-engine location its a bar-mounting for a separate speedo or a bicycle computer digital job.  

The easiest and cheapest option is to carry a 5 litre can (mine's plastic) in the panniers.

IP Logged
zbiker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/05/06 at 15:01:00

Dont know if it`s been done to a savage but with a little engineering from your part you could fit a harley double tank, you`d find yourself with only the middle top part to modify and could put your speedo or a real harley speedo.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/05/06 at 15:42:27

if i remember corretly I think it was a vulcan 500.  Cant remember what year tho.

Im not too sure it had a speedo hole in it either.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 09/05/06 at 18:15:13

Its been something I have been kicking around mentally for the last few weeks. I have the 4.2 gallon cb 550 tank and while the dimensions of the tank would work, it would require moving the seat back about an inch and moving the tank supports up a few inches past the frame. I don't have the ability to do that fabrication although I am considering getting a quote from a custom shop. I would dearly love an extended fuel range and to move the gauges to the handlebars. A tach and oil pressure guage would be nice as well on something other than buck horns. flat track or pull backs would make me happier.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #8 - 09/06/06 at 06:33:10

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 09/06/06 at 06:41:18

I have been watching some Intruder tanks on ebay that look like they could work on the Savage.
This is one example.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 09/06/06 at 08:59:46

I may just mount something like this on the back.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/06/06 at 09:13:10

That could work.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 09/06/06 at 09:13:20

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I may just mount something like this on the back.

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/GasCanCarrier.jpg

thats got to be cheaper than a tour tank !!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 09/06/06 at 09:23:55

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
thats got to be cheaper than a tour tank !!!

$40 at Amazon.com.  Hmmm, and it's actually from SportsmansGuide.com.  With a club membership, it should cost even less.  I'm thinking that might just make a good luggage rack expansion for general everyday stuff when I don't need to carry extra fuel.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 09/06/06 at 18:59:35

The dream is alive!  I, like most everyone else, would love to go to a four and one half gallon tank; haven't seen much available for instrument clusters to mount on handle bars.  Would't need the directionals, thinking of modifying the top back of the front directionals on the stalk, that would allow me to better see the flashing.
That leaves the speedo and light, neutral light, maybee the high beem indicator for a handlebar mounted cluster.
I've emailed an inquiry to a tank shop in England, will post any response I might get.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Install larger gas tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.