Send Topic Print
Battery maintainer (Read 2 times)
ND
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Battery maintainer
08/31/06 at 16:25:25

I have a small battery charger that went to an old spotlight or something. It states that the output is 12VDC - 300mA (a little less than 1/3 amp). Does anyone who knows about this sort of thing see any reason why this couldn't be used as a maintainer for a LS650 cycle battery? I have put connectors on it but I wanted some input before I used it. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Battery maintainer
Reply #1 - 08/31/06 at 17:35:54

dont see why it wouldnt work short term,monitor how hot the unit gets b4 leaving over nite..long term (winter storage) id invest in a battery tender or better brand , they have a chip in them that keeps the sulfur from building up on your battery plates...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 08/31/06 at 19:28:42

To start, a fully charged and rested "12" volt lead-acid battery is 12.65 volts.  Connecting a 12 volt source will, at best, do nothing.  Could discharge the battery.

Float, or maintain voltage is 13.5 volts.

If I were to leave my bike parked for a month or six I would have an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery..  A standard flooded battery self-discharges at about 15% per month.  An AGM battery self-discharges at 2-3% per month.  Six months and you still have 82-88% charge.

(A tip of the Hatto Hat to Lancer for educating me on batteries.)

WWW   IP Logged
ND
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 08/31/06 at 20:11:37

Thanks for the replies. I  received a "Big Crank" battery today. (It actually has the name "Deka" on it, but it has the same model number - ETX15L). I was reading the instructions after my post and it said that a battery charger should be set at 14.4 to 14.6 volts to charge this battery (it is an AGM battery). I found another small charger in my storage room that puts out 13 volts. I looked on my regular 2/12 amp charger and it stated that it  put out 12 volts. So I don't know if my big charger will do the job right, either. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/31/06 at 20:21:16

Even though I use an Odyssey battery (AGM), I still throw the tender on it every couple of months for a night.  I've been using the Battery Tender Jr. for years with no problems at all.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 08/31/06 at 20:30:24

Grin http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=BIG-ETX15L

(I have had that in my motorcycle favorites for many months.)

The 2/10 amp automotive charger actually puts out 14+ volts (how much plus I'd have to get a digital voltmeter to check.)  They say 12 volts so as to not confuse the lowlifes.  (Sort of like only giving the English 8-y-o Scotch.)  On a flooded battery such as what I got before I learned about AGM batteries you use put the acid into the battery and then put the charger on it on the 2amp setting for eight to sixteen houts.

Your battery arrived fully charged, ready to install.

Since I run my bike most every day, 365 days a year, I won't have any trouble as long as I don't leave the lights on.  Again.  I don't need to worry about self-discharge.    Assuming you run the bike at least once every nine months you don't need to worry about self-discharge either.  You should never need to put that battery on a charger/maintainer.

If it didn't arrive fully charged and ready to install it is not an AGM battery.

WWW   IP Logged
ND
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 08/31/06 at 20:54:44

I'm sure that it is ready to go - I was just thinking ahead. Since I live in eastern Texas I don't normally let it sit for long. The info about the slow discharge helps. My bike is an '04, and the original battery seems to be OK, but I added some lights (including two 55 watters) and since the battery is going to be three years old in a few months I decided to go ahead and be prepared for the inevitable. Didn't want to have a big ride planned and have to try to find the right battery locally on short-notice. This "Big Crank - Deka" really seems to be a high-quality battery. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/31/06 at 21:00:47

I typically ride 3+ days each week.  I really shouldn't need to put the maintainer on it.  As this is my first AGM battery, it's basically a habit carried over from previous bikes/batteries and modified a bit.  While I used to hook up the tender every couple of weeks, I've switched to every 2-3 months.  It's fast and easy since I have a cable and connector under the seat already attached to the battery.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:28:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery maintainer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.