Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: How fast can you go?
Reply #15 - 08/30/06 at 13:51:35

She does 75 on the freeway (just keeping pace with traffic) on a fairly regular basis without a second thought.  I've had her close to 90 once or twice without realizing the speed had crept up that far and she still had more to give but I backed her down once I realized it.  I really prefer somewhere around 60-65, both for comfort and fuel efficiency.  My mileage really drops off at speeds above 65 MPH.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savagealan
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/30/06 at 14:38:56

ok ive managed to push my 88 up to 104
but id never do it again it was too scarey & the savage was built to cruize & brakes are not ment for stoping at that speed
ive got a kwak GPZ 305B (belt drive) thats quicker but i still prefere tha savage

IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #17 - 08/30/06 at 15:19:18

keep in mind i wear work boots. i had it at about 85ish and it felt like it still had some left in it but my feet were literly lifting off the pegs from the wind so i brought it back down to a nice 60ish.  The wife maxes and cruz's at about 70

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #18 - 08/30/06 at 17:30:58

long haul, super slab, WOT with some down hill help, right at 100. It requires a hug of the tank.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #19 - 08/30/06 at 20:27:51

Got her up to 85 but ran out of nerve  Shocked and still have half way to full throttle.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #20 - 08/31/06 at 02:31:47

If you are looking for speed even a std Savage could stand a 10% hike in gearing. Has anyone found pulleys that will do this ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #21 - 08/31/06 at 06:25:29

test ride last night, 90mph in a cross wind and still pulling when i backed down.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/31/06 at 13:05:27

Hmmm my new bike (2006 yamaha fz6)  will go 62 mph in 1st gear stock(hit redline).  

Anyways good luck.  I think with a rocket booster u might get 120.  MOOOO HAHAHAHAHA hehe Roll Eyes

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 08/31/06 at 14:01:01

Let's don't forget that old saying ... he who laughs last ... there is truth to that ...   Wink   Smiley   Cheesy   Grin

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Hmmm my new bike (2006 yamaha fz6)  will go 62 mph in 1st gear stock(hit redline).  

Anyways good luck.  I think with a rocket booster u might get 120.  MOOOO HAHAHAHAHA hehe Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #24 - 08/31/06 at 14:21:31

I've had my Savage up to 70.  Which is also known as the speed limit.  Call me crazy, but I don't get any thrills from going faster.  

In any case, I've never thought of the Savage as a "fast" bike.  I've not had any interest in going faster.  Like WD, if you want to go faster, you've got the wrong bike.

Which is why I'm happy with what I have, and so saved money with NOT buying a Yamaha fz6.  I have more in my pocket and I'm happier than I would be with that particular bike!  So ha!  Wink

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/01/06 at 02:51:54

Any new bike is going to cost money(only 2 k more than a new S40), and if u buy one used u can get a pretty good deal on it.  I still think it has the most bang for the buck.  Imagine having over 90 hp insted of 25-30.  

When u hit 7k rpm it opens up a can of whoop ass.  Then scream it until it hits the rev limitor at 14.5k.  I definitely enjoyed not having a bike payment but that will end soon.  Only been 3 months and I got her 45% paid off already.  Can u believe I sold my 95 Savage for 2k?  I still look at the pics of Torques paintjob and smile.  She was a great bike and still a great choice.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #26 - 09/01/06 at 08:41:22

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Imagine having over 90 hp insted of 25-30.

Man, I can't begin to imagine that.  My other bike is around 50hp, and it's as much as I need/can deal with.  My hat is off to you for managing thing.

Ride safe!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #27 - 09/01/06 at 10:17:37

You don't have to go WOT to off or ride around at screaming rpm's all the time, but if you have the notion it's fun to have it at the crack of a throttle. My Concours is actually easier to ride than the Savage was at anything above walking speed. It's also nice to sail along at 90+ mph for 500+ miles a day for a week and be able to get off the MC and walk straight.  Kiss Gotta love the loss of Monkey butt.

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Man, I can't begin to imagine that.  My other bike is around 50hp, and it's as much as I need/can deal with.  My hat is off to you for managing thing.

Ride safe!

IP Logged
guitar52
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/01/06 at 13:50:04

My Savage done 80 all day from Nashville to St Louis,300 miles with no fuel stop. Oh.......... did I mention, it was on a trailer. Grin Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 09/01/06 at 14:34:13

guitar52 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My Savage done 80 all day from Nashville to St Louis,300 miles with no fuel stop. Oh.......... did I mention, it was on a trailer. Grin Roll Eyes

Trailers are for boats - not bikes.

Grin

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast can you go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.