Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Concerned about size (Read 10 times)
billy
Ex Member

Re: Concerned about size
Reply #15 - 09/01/06 at 22:57:27

I am a big guy 6 ft 225 # but I have fairly short legs, 32 inch inseam. I think that has more to do with comfort than how tall a person is. My only complaint on the interstate is that the traffic is doing 80 and if you don,t keep up they will run you over. 80 or 85 is about top speed for my S40 and I don't like running wide open for any lenght of time. Plus if you are wide open then you have no reserve to manuver should it be nessessary. mostly I stick to the back roads unless I just have to, the back roads have more scenery any way.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #16 - 09/02/06 at 02:33:42

I'm 5'-5" @ 130lbs with 30" inseam and the LS fits me perfectly ... we get a LOT of wind here in eastern Newfoundland and my experience has been that it is much less turbulent Riding 100kph on a calm day than 60kph on a very windy day!  Shocked So wind velocity here is as much a factor as rolling speed ... that said, a relaxed grip (something I have "force" myself to do at times ... ) makes a world of difference.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #17 - 09/03/06 at 15:54:44

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Rather than move controls forward, it seems to me that it would be far easier to move the saddle up and back.

Ok Help me out, how do you move the seat up and back? I'm over 6' ride with the death grip and get serious monkey butt after 1.5 hrs. Ya I'm new at this. Also is there highway pegs for this bike, and would it stabilize the bike at high speeds? Thanks Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/03/06 at 16:10:45

mavrik wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Ok Help me out, how do you move the seat up and back? I'm over 6' ride with the death grip and get serious monkey butt after 1.5 hrs. Ya I'm new at this. Also is there highway pegs for this bike, and would it stabilize the bike at high speeds? Thanks Cheesy

You can't without some major modifications.  You'd lose the pillion seat, and have to fabricate quite a bit to get a level seating surface.  Then you are left with a huge gap in between the seat and the tank which would look utterly stupid, IMHO.

To me, that's not a sound option.  Although forward controls are expensive if kits are bought, there are plans here on this site to fabricate your own if you are good at that sort of thing.

For me, I'll shell out the money for made-to-fit stuff before I'll screw with the looks of the bike.

Lose the death grip -- it doesn't cost anything.  You'll find a notable difference in handling once you do that.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #19 - 09/03/06 at 19:54:58

I'm 5-10 with long legs (32 inseam) and 200 lbs.  I ride very comfortably on my savage.  Heck, I just upgraded from a Rebel so ANYTHING is better.  I used to run my Rebel at freeway speeds with no problem (other than the front tire wanted to follow the groves).  My savage is so much smother on the freeway.  I run comfortably at 65-70 on the freeway no problem.  I did raise the front of my seat and rotated the handlebars upward which makes it more comfortable.  I would like to get forward controls, but that's only because I like to stretch my legs out in front of me more.  I have no problem riding for long periods on it (other than my backside likes to go to sleep after an hour).

As far as wind turbulance, the key is 1) a windscreen the right size and the right angle and 2) relaxing on the bike.  When I get up to speed I force myself to relax my arms and legs.  It's common knowledge that being relaxed will help you stay more in control of the bike than being tense.    I don't think the savage is too light for the wind, because my Ford F-150 extended cab gets blown around alot more than my Savage does!  As it's been said, it's all about sail surface.  It's how much you and your windscreen (if you got one) catch the wind (some of us catch a lot more)!  I've done quite a few freeway test miles trying to get the windscreen set just right.

Gary

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:17:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Concerned about size