Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Concerned about size (Read 10 times)
jrdudas
Ex Member

Concerned about size
08/28/06 at 14:16:01

Many years ago I said that if I ever got another motorcycle it would be a Suzuki Thumper.  Well I've got the bug again (actually as we all know, it never goes away) and I have once more noticed the Savage.  I really like the simplicity, the price, the belt drive, and the engine size.  My problem is the overall size of the bike; it just seems too small for me.  I'm not a huge guy, but I am 6' 1" and weigh about 210.  When I sit on the Savage I can't see the front tire or fender and the bike looks a good bit smaller than other mid-sized bikes.

I have read a lot of posts here placed by big guys who feel comfortable on the Savage.  Are there mods available that will make the bike seem larger?  And how do you avoid that feeling of being 4 pounds of tuna in a 3 pound can?

JR

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Concerned about size
Reply #1 - 08/28/06 at 14:52:26

It is a small framed bike, no doubt. I think forward controls and/or highway bars would resolve that problem for you.
There are a few over 6 footers on this board that ride a Savage. Without forward controls, I imagine it would be uncomfortable for a tall person like yourself.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 08/28/06 at 14:55:28

Rather than move controls forward, it seems to me that it would be far easier to move the saddle up and back.

WWW   IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #3 - 08/28/06 at 15:38:45

Compared to a Sportster, the Savage does have forward controls.  A Sportster 800 has about the same stature except the controls are straight down from the saddle and the Savage has them forward a little.

The Savage has the same seat height as other mid-size cruisers.  What makes it seem smaller is that it is more narrow.

I'm 5'9" and it fits me like a glove after raising the seat about an inch.  I would think that a 6' 1" person would fit on this bike just as well as an 800 Sportster or an 800 Boulevard.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 08/28/06 at 16:06:19

The seat mod is the first thing you should do to fit on the bike better. It will allow you to slide your butt back and give you more leg room. The Savage is a smaller bike in today's world of large displacement cycles. None the less it can be comfortable for big riders. I'm 6'2" and weigh around 230 lbs and am comfortable on my '02. Of course I've installed 4"forward controls and changed the handle bars along with the seat mod. If the smaller size is a issue then hit a couple of dealers and sit on different bikes, I've done it and found some bigger bikes that were really uncomfortable. I really like my light nimble Savage but to some bike owners these are drawbacks not pluses.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
pjgatlin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/29/06 at 13:02:11

I have to disagree with everyone! I am a fairly small person... about 5'4 and 115 lbs. I get blown all over the road! For me, the Savage is too small. I ride my husband's Intruder, which weighs 200 lbs more, and I feel much more safe. In fact, I'll ride his bike anywhere. I avoid the interstate with my Savage.
The small size is nice... when I'm backing it out of my garage.

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/29/06 at 14:26:53

i ride my S40 on the interstate all the time...i have not been blown around either being passed or while passing and we have a crap load of 18 wheelers on Interstate 30...possibly because i weight more than pjgatlin...but have no problems anywhere on my light bike...

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/29/06 at 14:52:38

I only notice being blown around when the wind gusts  hit 35-40 mph on the hwy. Of course I am a pretty good anchor Grin

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/29/06 at 16:46:19

My wife keeps telling me that size doesnt matter... and as far as beeing blown around........ Wink

Sorry I couldnt resist....... Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 08/29/06 at 16:55:27

pjgatlin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I have to disagree with everyone! I am a fairly small person... about 5'4 and 115 lbs. I get blown all over the road! For me, the Savage is too small. I ride my husband's Intruder, which weighs 200 lbs more, and I feel much more safe. In fact, I'll ride his bike anywhere. I avoid the interstate with my Savage.
The small size is nice... when I'm backing it out of my garage.

somebody order this girl the double chicken fried steak, and extra on the gravy and mashed taters

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 08/29/06 at 16:58:08

SAMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
My wife keeps telling me that size doesnt matter... and as far as beeing blown around........ Wink

Sorry I couldnt resist....... Grin

Shame on you SAMM, and just dont buy a white one

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #11 - 08/29/06 at 18:09:47

I'm 145lbs and 5'8 and feel quite comfortable when riding on freeway (superslab). I do get tossed around a little with wind gust or 18 wheelers. But with jrdudas weight and height, you will do fine with the seat mod suggested above.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/29/06 at 18:10:30

The degree to which one is blown around on any bike is directly related to the tightness of the grip on the bars, IMHO.

I ride interstates all the time.  For example, when I first started riding, I'd get pushed all over the place and I had a death grip on the bars when I'd get turbulance.  Now, I just ride along relaxed on the bars and I notice very little turbulance at all.

As far as I'm concerned, the amount of turbulance one gets from either a passing semi or a windy day is more related to the mass/exposed surface area of any bike than it is the weight of the bike.  Just my opinion on that though...

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #13 - 08/30/06 at 05:33:20

I have to agree w/ 911radioman the lack of deathgrip makes a huge diference.  I'm 5'7 and 140.   I don't want to go back to eating those chicken fried steaks (do miss 'em a little)   to be able to ride.    The more I hug w/ my legs on the highway and keep my upper body loose, the more stable I feel.  The deathgrip makes my hands go numb too.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/30/06 at 06:33:39

I haven't ridden a lot of different bikes - especially at highway speeds, so I can't comment on personal experience - I do know that my Savage riding 2up stays put better than me alone. I've also talked to my brother-in-law who has been biking for almost 40 years and he claims that a full faring - including lowers - makes a huge difference in turbulance.

So, as in so many things, whatever works for you, your driving style, and your driving circumstances.  I don't have any divided highway and very little controlled access.  The fastest speed limit in our province is 90kmh (~60mph) and most roads are set at 80kmh (~50mph) so high speed driving and semi turbulence are not issues for me on a daily basis.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:26:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Concerned about size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.