Send Topic Print
Acceleration question (Read 9 times)
Robbie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Acceleration question
08/27/06 at 21:53:25

When accelerating in first gear on a stone stock 2000 Savage the engine knocks, rattles, or just plain sounds bogged down when accelerating past a certain point. Can't give it full trottle without sounding like the rod is coming through the block.  Does not sound healthy but bike runs fine if staying off any kind of heavy throtttle. Is this the thumper sound I hear?

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Acceleration question
Reply #1 - 08/27/06 at 23:25:20

OMG I only stay in 1st until 5 mph, stay in first long enough to hear all that is waiting for the cager to kiss you tail (well in CA that is) Shocked That is the sound that your engine is screaming for mercy Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 08/28/06 at 04:00:13

[glow=red,2,300]NO That's not the "thumper" sound. [/glow] That to me sounds like maybe your bike isn't breathing well enough for the amount of fuel it's getting. Shurely you are not talking about staying in first till high RPMs. If you can only accelerate slowly (1/4 throttle or less) then you may either have a dirty/poorly adjusted carb or the air filter may be clogged. Some of our other members will surely correct me or confirm it, but that's what it sounds like to me. Has it been running fine till now? Have you made any mods recently?

WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 08/28/06 at 05:04:14

It sounds like your carburetor is clogged up with varnish. Has your bike ever sat for an extended amount of time?

These bikes run quite smooth and should accelerate smoothly from idle to redline.

You are pushing in the choke?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #4 - 08/28/06 at 05:06:34

How many miles on your Savage? If you're hearing alot of engine noise and have 20,000+ miles on it, it may be a failing cam chain and/or tensioner.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 08/28/06 at 05:24:52

As suggested by SavagedDude, 1st gear is to get the beast in motion; the engine is politely trying to take the transmition apart I suspect.  I think you might be hearing a metalurgy stress test. Cheesy

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/28/06 at 08:56:44

I cant tell what it is,but I can tell you it aint right,my 2002 with 9000 miles on it, it goes like stink through all the gears,the other day I kept up with a H/D when leaving a light,and he was trying,he did pull away in the end,I just wish we had one more gear,or a wider ratio
between 4th and 5th I'm sure the engine could take it.
your bike needs help

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Robbie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 09/04/06 at 20:51:14

Thanks for the input folks, okay now I'll get my story straight. After reriding the wife's Savage and focusing on the actual noise and conditions, here's the scoop. The noise sounds somewhat throaty beyond "half throttle. AT HALF THROTTLE, first gear is actually fine at a shift point of 15 mph (owner's manual states 12 mph for first) so no excess RPMs, second gear likes 25 mph, 3rd gear likes 30-35 mph, somewhat above the "shifting up schedule" but well below the max PRM limits. Checked out the air cleaner, it's fine. Ran the bike at half throttle in 3rd gear about 30 mph and cranked on full throttle, very throaty sounding without rapid acceleration. My Mr. Max (V-max) will put you into instant "Beam me up Scotty" warp speed  under the same conditions. Am I taxing the 30HP Savage when asking for full acceleration in the lower gears? Savage had 1500 miles on it when bought in fall of 2005, has 2600 miles now. It's a 2000 so it may have sat for a while. It runs absolutely fine if you pretend it a scooter. I had various bikes, all twins or V-4's, some below 650cc, all accelerated aggressively. I'm not sold yet on this single cylinder concept. Any additional input would be helpful since the wife really like this bike. Don't get me wrong, I not against the bike, it just seems like it should perform much better when accelerating.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/04/06 at 22:01:04

you're reading the "shifting up schedule" go seven pages forward and read the "maximum recommended
engine speed" table(page 4-2 in my 06 handbook)..
35,55, 75, 90, 100mph.. i havent been to these limits and the bike "scoots" just fine for what it is...
in the early eighties i had a suzi gt 550 3cyl 2 stroke had a blast givin the kaw 650s a run from lite to lite friend i rode with had a yam 400 twin  he always cleaned my clock..
the  savages' square engine dictates its  a torque thing not revs ...its more of a roll on power(not having to downshift to pass)
when "lugging"this engine it 'll knock and rattle a bit ..
imo even if you modded this engine to the max scotty aint going to beam you up..btw the wife really likes it 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 09/05/06 at 07:16:08

the wife's bike accelerates just fine! she does a pretty good job of keeping up with my HD, in most circumstances. i have accelerated her bike hard enough to slip the clutch pack Shocked but we only run premium fuel and i have completed our carb/exhaust mods. i cant see that dumb speedo when i'm riding, so i shift with "the seat of the pants method", with no detectable rattling.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/05/06 at 18:12:40

If you want more power u need to do some carb mods and replace the air filter with a pod or k&n drop in.  The stock form is too lean to give any decent acceleration in 1 or 2nd gear.  After you do the mods you will unlock the inner beast of the Savage.  I remember I would torure my Savage in the lower gears but I could get it up to at least 50 mpg in 2nd.  It would SCREAMMM but it would do it.  Once u get into 3rd look out for the police hahaha.

ps always check the oil.  When u drove it as hard as I did, you want to give it a chance to live hehe.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:14:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Acceleration question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.