Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will they mix'n'max? (Read 4 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

Will they mix'n'max?
08/08/06 at 23:38:35

I have ordered a Dunlop 404 for front tire. (not flush enough for Metzlers with other mods I'm doing) I have jap rubber on back with newish tread which I will replace in due course.

As I'll still have about 1/2 tread on front tire when it comes to retire back tire, am I limited to the Dunlop 404 or can I fit a Metzler as a match should I be flush with $$ then (I know the Metzler will give better grip than a Dunlop). I lean towards no mixinig but would welcome a lot of input.

Thanks, George Smiley

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Will they mix'n'max?
Reply #1 - 08/08/06 at 23:44:34

i've never had a problem with the mix and match  i go though three rears, to each front.  

go to the dunlop site.  they got some nice cruisermax rubber for fifty bucks each.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 08/09/06 at 07:04:33

as long as you're not mixing radials and bias, i dont think there is a problem mixing brands.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/09/06 at 08:19:48

(I know the Metzler will give better grip than a Dunlop}

OH REALY!  Roll Eyes
Dunlop makes the Elite III that will out handle and out last the Metzler 880's and cost less!  Shocked

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/09/06 at 08:56:50

Thanks for comments.

Keith B - thanks for advice, but did you know caps n e-mails (& message boards) = shouting.

Let's be tactful on this site, though not intended, I'm sure "the tone" could have been taken as "Let's show the "newbie" (of almost 40 years riding but always same tires front'n'back) what he doesn't know."

So the Elite III gives grip; costs less - sounds good to me, but WILL it match the 404?(just because it is Dunlop, maybe it means it...?)

George ???

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/09/06 at 09:36:18

You know, I haven't been sliding around on the stock tires (the IRC's that came with the bike), and I HAVE leaned over enough to scrape the peg. This tire does all right on gravel, too.
Now I wouldn't buy a Cheng nuts (sorry!) tire, as it seems to have the miracle combination of hard compound AND quick wear, and appears to be very slippery when wet. But this IRC seems to be a fine tire. What are the objections to it? Cheers, Mac

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #6 - 08/09/06 at 11:33:05

You know, I dont have any problems with grip and wear and all that important stuff.  I just want a kind of fat looking rear tire.  I jsut think it looks cooler.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #7 - 08/09/06 at 15:28:34

Well Mac, my experience with the Cheng Shin tires has shown them to have a short life span. I can't say they had a hard compound though. Super soft if anything. They handled great and I rode them in the rain and the dry. Never even a wiggle. They just don't last long. I got 3800mi out of the rear I just replaced. On in March, off in August. But even if they were free the cost of R/R alone will keep me from running them again. George, you can't go wrong with the 404s or the Metzlers. It's all just a matter of how much are you willing to pay and which brand has the better salesmen. GL

Oh yea BTW. I actually like the IRCs that came on it stock. IMO they're a pretty d@mn good tire too for the money.

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/09/06 at 15:45:59

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Oh yea BTW. I actually like the IRCs that came on it stock. IMO they're a pretty d@mn good tire too for the money.

I keep saying that, but everybody thinks I belong in a strait jacket and behind an iron door!!!
Grin

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/09/06 at 17:46:54

Sad  sorry george  i did not mean to yell!
no the e3 does not match the 404, the 880 don't match ether.
i just hear so many folks on hear brag on the 880's which is an excellent  touring tire for a very large touring bike, the one i had on my gl 1800 did very well until the belts separated @ 5,000 miles on the rear, i am a nut about proper air pressure so that was not the cause. i don't metz anymore, i have put over 400,000 miles on m/c's in the last 38 years, i have ran a lot of O.E.M. tires of all makes, but the best tire i have found for the money is a dunlop, 291's,391's, 591's, 491's, 404's,501's,521's,555's,177's, they where all good in there day. my savage has 404's, my 1500 drifter has e3's, my 1600 nomad has stones, when i change tires it will have e3's.

the dunlop 404 is a cruiser tire, you should be able to find one to match your front.    a 130 or a 140 or the mv which is about a 145.

the dunlop e3's are a touring tire,the metz 880 are touring , i was trying to give you the apples to apples on the metz880's.  these tires are made for heavier bikes than the savage. you can run them yes, they will last a long time yes, will they give as good of a ride, no handling,no .

someone said they can drag the pegs, ok at what speed?  touring tires or made from harder rubber componds for heavey bikes and will not hold on a wet road on a light bike as well as a good cruiser tire made for a lighter bike. thats why they are sold for cruisers!

once again sorry for the out burst , it was not directed at you, to get the facts go to the tire manufacture website and read, you may find that i am wrong, but then i may be right!

any thing you read on here is just an opinion not a fact!

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/09/06 at 20:42:46

Keith B - No offense taken - no apology needed, srory if i appeared rude to you. Thanks for interesting comments/info & think when time comes will save $$ under any circumstance & buy Dunlop.

George Grin

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/09/06 at 21:00:22

sorry i'll try to be cool  8)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/19/06 at 22:54:43

I can't claim a lot of experience but I have found a tire that I like. I intend to try the Metzlers & others that I see that folks are excited about. This tire is not expensive. Made by Maxxiss it is the Promaxx. I got fron & rear along with 2 rear & 1 front tube( around $10.00 each I think) & a package of wheel weights($7 or 8.00?) & 2 rim strips ($1.50 each) all for the princely sum of about $180.00 & free shipping. I mounted them myself & that WUZ a pain, but I will do it again to save the $$$. The OEM tire never gave me a comfortable feeling at all & was gone at 5,000 miles. Replaced with the Promaxx & got 7,000 out of it, but should have replaced it sooner. The front & rear are now Promaxx & the bike handles better than ever, but I still get the "Rolling Trampoline" in corners. Gonna have to work on that!  If anyone decides to mount their own holler at me. I have a couple of clues I will gladly share.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 11/20/06 at 16:33:23

Quote:
I keep saying that, but everybody thinks I belong in a strait jacket and behind an iron door!!!

Just because you're right, DOES NOT mean you don't need to be in a straight jacket! Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 11/20/06 at 18:07:40

My stock IRC were ozone checked deeply enough to see cords within 2 months. My Vulcan has Dunlop 404s, closing in on 20K miles and they look/ride like new. My Savage has a Cheng Shin rear and an IRC front...both to be replaced with Maxxis Classic or similar wide whitewalls. Maxxis are just brand engineered Cheng Shins for those who didn't know. For me, the Cheng Shin has been a better tire than the IRC, on either end of the bike.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:21:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will they mix'n'max?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.