Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sputter POP and then nothing... (Read 2 times)
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Sputter POP and then nothing...
07/30/06 at 18:15:04

I was riding home this morning and I decided to take a little longer route just to let the bike warm up a bit and got about halfway home and the bike started backfiring, popping and chugging and then when I pulled in the clutch to make a turn it died..

I let the clutch out to make the turn and it almost went out from under me.  there was a car next to me so I couldn't hear it running when I made the turn.

I check the pettfuelvalvethingy (yes I know what it is called  Wink ) and it appeared to be in the right position.  After that it would not start.  I ended up pushing it half way home.  On the way there I figure that I would try a roll start as prescribed in the manual in 2nd gear.  It popped over and ran all the way home.  

Later this afternoon I went out to see if it would start and it did and ran for a few minutes at an idle then the idle got slower and slower but it would still rev.  Eventually the idle got so slow that it stalled and would not restart.  

I haven't tried it since.

Any ideas?

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Re: Sputter POP and then nothing...
Reply #1 - 07/30/06 at 19:02:36

First thought was low fuel. Those certainly sound like the symptoms. Cure - switch to reserve. Second thought was wondering if maybe you were driving with the choke out? Cure - don't ride with the choke out. Warm the bike up with the choke, then shut it off and ride. Third thought was wondering if the float/valve was sticking. Knocking on the side of the carb may loosen it up. Cure - clean or replace float valve.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #2 - 07/31/06 at 05:25:34

Tank is half full of fuel and the choke was not on.  

I haven't tried tapping the side of the carb yet.

I hadn't ridden the bike in about 2 weeks due to vacation and I come back to it doing this.   Might be a little gunk in there I guess.

enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #3 - 07/31/06 at 07:04:29

Mine was acting similar to yours and it turned out being sediment in the carb that was clogging the jets.  After cleaning the carb I had to clean the spark plug because it got fouled from the poor running.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/31/06 at 08:36:31

Along the lines of getting rid of sediment, it's not a bad idea to drain a bit of fuel from the float bowl every month or so. It's amazing what builds up in there. Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/31/06 at 09:12:31

And install an in-line fuel filter.  I picked up a clear one at the Suzuki dealer for something less than $2.  I'd forgotten that you can also get them at most hardware store stores in the lawn mower section.  I like the clear type because younot only get to see when they get crap in them, you can see if there's actually fuel flowing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 07/31/06 at 17:43:20

Pull your plug. I'll bet its in need of attention.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 07/31/06 at 19:36:39

Drain the carb float bowl and add a couple ounces of Sea Foam carb cleaner to a full tank of gas.

Is your battery in good shape? Maybe cleaning the terminals would help.

IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #8 - 07/31/06 at 21:39:33

Checking the fuel supply is a great place to start because its easy and cheap to sort out....

But what you have described to us there sounds to me like a sterotypical electrical problem.  It could be something as simple as a shot spark plug, or it could be a prob with the HT coil (the one the plug lead is attached to) or the Ignition coils inside your motor.  You can check your spark by pulling the plug out, connecting it to the HT lead and grounding it on the motor somewhere.  Then turn over the motor.  The spark should be "fat", very bright, and regular.  If it appears thin, dull and or is only occuring intermittently then thats your problem.  Replace the plug, try again.  If its still crap then its one of those two coils which is the problem.  The cheapest way of finding out which one it is is by substituting them one at a time with one off a mates bike that you know 100% runs well.

Note do this test at night, or in very low light.

1986 Savage, 2001 YZ250 (what a bike)
  IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #9 - 08/04/06 at 17:10:09

Well I  think I am going to start with the fuel system first..   WIth the backfires I was getting when it did it I am thinking it is fuel related..

I have never has a carb off a bike before so this will be a new experience..  Guess a Clymer manual is the next purchase.

Is there a float bowl drain?

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 08/04/06 at 17:18:15

ratdog472 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Is there a float bowl drain?

Yes, on bottom of the float bowl.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #11 - 08/04/06 at 17:30:18

Would it be sufficient to pull that and flush it with gas to get the gunk out?

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 08/04/06 at 17:39:11

I really can't say because I don't know the condition of your carb but I know I'd want to at least have a look inside and make a judgment as to whether it warranted anything else.  You can usually rejet and do the spacer mod without removing the carb (just loosen and rotate it slightly for access), so an inspection should be pretty easy once the seat and tank are off.

Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #13 - 08/04/06 at 18:55:34

ratdog472 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Would it be sufficient to pull that and flush it with gas to get the gunk out?

You never mentioned the condition and age of your bike.  From my experience you can accomplish several mods in one round. I'd be intrested in the condition of the bike and what you have done to the bike. What PM do you perform??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #14 - 08/05/06 at 05:25:03

The bike is a 2001 with 11,000 miles on it.  It is in good condition with the usual slight oil leak from the plug.  I've only owned the bike for about a month or so and really have done nothing for mods except relocate the rear turn signals being that the stock ones were trashed.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sputter POP and then nothing...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.