Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sputter POP and then nothing... (Read 2 times)
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Sputter POP and then nothing...
Reply #15 - 08/05/06 at 18:43:51

ratdog472 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The bike is a 2001 with 11,000 miles on it.  It is in good condition with the usual slight oil leak from the plug.  I've only owned the bike for about a month or so and really have done nothing for mods except relocate the rear turn signals being that the stock ones were trashed.

I'd suggest a neutral starting point. Perhaps a new plug, air filter, and oil filter. New oil sounds nice as well. A plugged air filter will stop a bike as quicly as a carb problem. Ditto an old battery. Think synchonicity. All the systems must cooperate. Plan a round of mods and PM plan that will make the bike respond. Read the tech section and concentrate on the following systems: Intake, carb and exhaust. Make sure you have new filters, oil, gas, new battery and a decent spark.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #16 - 08/05/06 at 18:55:22

I sometimes get the same symptom (just die off), I have half tank of gas, practically brand new bike 2005. When I switch to PRIME, the beast run normal  Shocked. I suspect that the vacum hose is the cause. Try change that first--very easy fix before attempt to do others suggestion. Its my favorite thing to do--PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE Grin
Good luck Dude. Keep us informed on your progress.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #17 - 08/05/06 at 19:04:44

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I sometimes get the same symptom (just die off), I have half tank of gas, practically brand new bike 2005. When I switch to PRIME, the beast run normal  Shocked. I suspect that the vacum hose is the cause. Try change that first--very easy fix before attempt to do others suggestion. Its my favorite thing to do--PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE Grin
Good luck Dude. Keep us informed on your progress.

I've wondered about the gas lines as well. I'm considering clear lines. Best to know what you are dealing with when the systems are basicaly singular.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #18 - 08/05/06 at 19:10:43

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I've wondered about the gas lines as well. I'm considering clear lines. Best to know what you are dealing with when the systems are basicaly singular.

Good suggestion Dude, now I have spend more money on the beast Cheesy

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Sputter POP and then nothing... (Revisited)
Reply #19 - 09/04/06 at 21:07:39

Well with all the thoughts on here I decided to pull the float bowl.   In the process I pulled the battery just to make it easier and it needed to have the pigtail put on anyways.  Much to my surprise one of the cells in the battery is BONE DRY!  Most of the others are below the low mark.

Ever have one of those AH HA moments?

In the process I decided to pull the bowl anyways and have a looksee at the condition in there.  VERY little sediment and decent fuel flow.  I also pulled the lines and they seem to be running fine as far as fuel goes.  The float is working just fine.   It appears that the battery got so far down that it wouldn't provide enough spark to run the bike.   The lights were always a little dim and also they would pulse with the turn signals.  I should have looked there first.  It also goes to think that the bike would start on a roll and run just fine when it was throttled up and not at an idle.   It was getting enough juice from the charging system to run fine but not enough to charge the battery which was low.

Ok I feel like a dope but let's hope this solves the problem.  BTW Walmart doesn't sell a battery for the Savage anymore.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #20 - 09/05/06 at 18:15:14

IT LIVES!!!

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #21 - 09/05/06 at 20:29:01

Can I say I told you so!!!!  Wink Glad you got it working.

1986 Savage, 2001 YZ250 (what a bike)
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 09/06/06 at 05:25:04

ratdog472 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
IT LIVES!!!

Congratz!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:22:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sputter POP and then nothing...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.