Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical wiring HELP please (Read 5 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Electrical wiring HELP please
07/29/06 at 06:59:35

I have new turn signals on my Savage, well actually they have been there for some time, but I have not worked on them since I bolted them on.  Anyway, the rear set is not a problem because they have two wires on the old and new set.  However, the front is a problem.  The stock set had 3 wires and the new set has 2.  I try to hook them up and no matter what I do I fry a fuse each time.  

Can someone help me with the proper way to wire these up so they work without killing fuses?
My Savage is  '96 model, if there are differences in the wiring colors, etc, between the various years.

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Electrical wiring HELP please
Reply #1 - 07/29/06 at 07:06:08

some thoughts:
oem signals ???
if three wire 1= running, 1=turn, 1 = ground
if you have two wire oem they are rear signals..i=turn 1= ground
some  signals  use the case,frame,housing as ground..
un hook one of the signals and use your ohm meter to figure out what is what..check bulb watttage also....
hope this helps... Smiley

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 07/29/06 at 07:19:41

I had the same problem with my rear lights because I hooked them up to run with the tailight to. I don't remember how I finally got it to work but I will look and let you know.

WWW   IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 07/29/06 at 10:51:43

The new set probably has one filament just like the original rear lights - 2 wires, one is hot  and one is ground. The hot ones are controlled from the turn signal circuit.
The original front lights have 2 filaments and 3 wires, one hot for running lights (always on), one hot for turn signal (blink, blink) and one ground.
Simply put - look at base of new signal bulb - are there 1 or 2 contacts?
If 1,
you will not be able to use as running lights. Identify which wire contacts entire bulb socket - attach that to the ground wire on the bike  ...Now connect the wire that contacts the the small solder dot in the socket to the hot turn circuit.
Cap off the hot wire for the running lights - you don't have them any more..Do not connect these to ANYTHING.
If 2 contacts and 2 wires...well, that could only be if the fixtures are OLD and made of metal. My money says NOT!

As for the wiring colors on the Savage - I have no idea.
Easy way to find out is use a regular 12 volt tester. Ground one side to the chassis, engine, whatever.
Turn key on and identify which of the 3 wires is always hot - that is the running light circuit. turn on directional and identify which wire makes the tester blink - that is the directional circuit. The third wire is the ground.

Oh yeah,
Replace those fuses before trying this - it sure stinks when none of the wires are hot.
Hope this will do it.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #4 - 07/29/06 at 13:48:08

Lancer, I checked out my wiring and the lights I have are dual element, dual contact bulbs with 2 wires. I wired one of the wires to the turn signal hot wire and the other to the taillight hot wire. They work just they should. The lights must ground through the bolt. They are metal housings though not plastic. Hope it helps.

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #5 - 07/29/06 at 19:51:14

One thing I forgot to mention. The high voltage (turn signal) lead will need to be hooked to the wire that corresponds to the high voltage element in the bulb. Likewise the low voltage side (running/parking lights) to the other wire.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 07/29/06 at 21:37:37

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
One thing I forgot to mention. The high voltage (turn signal) lead will need to be hooked to the wire that corresponds to the high voltage element in the bulb. Likewise the low voltage side (running/parking lights) to the other wire.

your rears are dual element???  stock?? i dont think you can have amber running lights in the rear..my 2 pennies

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #7 - 07/29/06 at 21:55:50

My rear lights are not stock. Nor are they amber.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 07/30/06 at 12:58:30

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
...However, the front is a problem.  The stock set had 3 wires and the new set has 2.  I try to hook them up and no matter what I do I fry a fuse each time.....

According to my Clymer's, for 1996 on:

Stock wire to the front turn signals:

Black / white -- negative/ground/common

Slate -- running light -- Hot lead from 20amp fuse thru ignition switch.  Ground this and it's fuse popping time.

Black -- Turn signal hot lead from turn signal switch and relay (blinker)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Grab your battery charger (a handly source of non-blowable 12 volts.)   Turn it on, clip one each lead to each of the wires from the new turn signal.  Bulb should light.  If no light and the charger is normal, replace bulb/socket.etc until it does light.  If the charger pegs it's amp needle then disconnect -- you have an electrical short AKA fuse popping time in the new turn signal.

Assuming the lamp lights -- clip one lead to the mounting bolt.  Touch the other clip to each wire one at a time.  If you get a spark but no light then that is the ground wire.  If the lamp lights then that is the hot lead for the turn signal.  If nothing happens your socket is isolated from frame ground, repeat with the first clip on the main part of the bulb socket.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Connect  the black/white harness wire to the ground lead of the lamp.  Connect the black harness wire to the hot lead of the lamp.   Cap/tape off the slate harness wire -- if it touches ground with ignition on it will blow the fuse.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/30/06 at 14:24:30

Thanks guys, this gives me some basic step by step  stuff to work with.  When it comes to electrical I need the 1, 2, 3, etc. approach.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 07/31/06 at 10:08:55

Lancer,

Are these dual element or not?  There are two easy ways to tell:

1)  look at the bulb.  If they are dual element, you will see two curly wires, not one.  You may even see three, with one longer one being supported in the middle, which really makes it two.

2)  look at the bottom.  There will be two little dots for dual element, one for single.  These are the leads intot eh light bulb socket.

If it is dual element w/ two wires, the little case needs to be grounded to the frame.

V

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/01/06 at 05:05:55

I have not had a chance to get into this yet.  I am still having to juggle several projects and the bike does not have priority unfortunately.  I may be another couple of days before I actually get into it.  I will report my findings when I do get started.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:28:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical wiring HELP please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.