Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Interesting Savage Read... (Read 24 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Interesting Savage Read...
07/24/06 at 21:56:39

I found this online, it is basically a nuts and bolt opinion/critique on our favorite bike.  Mods, if you think it belongs in another section, feel free to move it there.  Smiley

http://personal.inet.fi/business/tumi/pg/BfaS.pdf

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Interesting Savage Read...
Reply #1 - 07/24/06 at 22:10:51

Yea, got on his list along with a few others when he first sent it out. Not sure what to say. It's been a long time since he owned it and didn't like it much. It's a long read to sift.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/06 at 00:18:02

Definitely a lot to digest.   I haven't read it closely so I haven't formed an opinion one way or another on his ideas, but I thought folks might like to read it and see what they think.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/25/06 at 04:29:09

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I found this online, it is basically a nuts and bolt opinion/critique on our favorite bike. ....

I skimmed thru it, basically the Savage is not what he wanted in a motorcycle, thus he could find many things to critique.  No motorcycle is good for everyone or every purpose.  I've had high revving high performance -- I prefer Thumping.  He likes high tech -- I prefer K.I.S.S..

WWW   IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Reply #4 - 07/25/06 at 09:49:11

Very well thought out article.  Interesting idea of adjusting jetting with the exhaust gas sensor.  Has anyone ever tried that?

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/25/06 at 17:12:56

I skimmed through it and I kept asking myself, why did he write so much about a bike he disliked so much?

Why did he even own one?

Why didn't he just buy a street bike instead of a cruiser?

And don't bother arguing with him, he knows everything.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/25/06 at 18:12:54

Island_Biker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I skimmed through it and I kept asking myself, why did he write so much about a bike he disliked so much?

Why did he even own one?

Why didn't he just buy a street bike instead of a cruiser?

And don't bother arguing with him, he knows everything.

I did kind of get that impression as well...

IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #7 - 07/25/06 at 18:37:33

This guy is absolutely struggling and as he pointed out so clearly in his opening diatribe litte attention should be paid to people who have no idea what they are talking about.  For the record, I read almost every word of that article and most of his opinions which he claims as fact are highly contentious.  Anyone who thinks there is zero information to be gained from reading plugs is completely wrong.  It may not be the best method for jetting a bike but it works to get you close.  Anyone suggesting that the different colours which appear during a plug readng session are a result of different additives in the fuel you are using (even though its the same fuel in the tank for all tests) is wrong.  Simple tests can prove this.

I especially liked how he CONTINUALLY compared our savages to Jap sports bikes.  If he likes crotch rockets then thats fine, but he cant compare them to cruisers and say they are better.  They are designed for COMPLETELY different things and I reckon he would probably keel over if he tried to ride one for 8 hours in a day.  I mean comparing our bikes to 4 cyl jap bikes on a dyno, please....who is this guy?

If you read this you will note that the opening critique of our bikes is that they are built on a shoestring budget to meet a price point, he then later goes on to shoot down every modification you can make to the bike saying the stock parts are perfect, including the exhaust and carb.  That just doesnt make any sense.  He never changed his carb, nor his exhaust and reckons he didnt need to because of some rubbish theory he believes in.  Well he cant sit there and tell us it wont work is he has never done it.  My particular favourite line was this "I have no experience with it (a jetting kit) and cannot reccomend it".  How can you not reccomend a product you have never even used!!!!!!

His ridiculous hypotheticals on induction air flow also wound me up,  the notion that a bike will breath better through a straw sized hole in an impracticably large airbox than through a pod filter is flat out wrong.  Sure the bike may breath as good....for a while, until the air in the airbox is consumed and the airbox is trying to fill itself thorough a tiny hole...then your bike will fall on its face, just like the remainder of this clowns article.

Sorry about the essay, but this bloke really annoys me.  My advice to fellow savage owners is not to listen to someone who hasnt ridden one for 10 years and never liked it when he had it, but instead to listen to the people on this site who still ride savages and can tell you how modifications will work from first hand experience.

1986 Savage, 2001 YZ250 (what a bike)
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 07/25/06 at 18:46:28

When I got to the section where he was redoing the swing arm I realized that he was trying to reinvent the entire bike. Seems he really does not like cruisers and decided to pick apart the Savage since he once owned one. I only got partway thru the article but expect that he doesn't say anything good about the bike at all. Wonder why he wasted all that time writing about a bike he dislikes so much. It's almost seems like he likes the idea of a big single but has problems with the way Suzuki designed and built the Savage. He even admits that it was designed on a shoestring as a inexpensive light cruiser so WTF did he expect to get. Wonder what he would say about a Harley 883 sportster. Just read the previous post and realized that the guy who wrote the article has a serious case C.R.I.S.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #9 - 07/25/06 at 19:01:59

Actually before I stopped reading his opinionated "facts" I did manage to catch the "fact" that Harley had found a way to build infearior bikes in such a way that the consumer would buy them just because they're "pretty".  I'm pretty sure that no motorcycle company will ever stay in business for over 100 yrs. simply because they sell to the vanity in consumers. I think I'll skip the rest of the article due to an overload of bullcrap.

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/25/06 at 19:09:20

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I've had high revving high performance -- I prefer Thumping.  He likes high tech -- I prefer K.I.S.S..

That's about as well put as anybody could say it.  8)

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #11 - 07/25/06 at 23:32:03

That thing he said about using relays and proper guage wiring for improving the headlight caught my attention. I'd like to try that.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 07/26/06 at 08:27:02

I installed a relay two years ago that cuts off the headlight while starting the bike. Makes sense to reduce the drain on the battery during starting. Got the relay and connectors at Radio Shack, the biggest problem was trying to patch into the stock harness, Suzuki really didn't leave any extra length in the wires to cut and connect to. Totally forgot about it till Smokey02 mentioned it Undecided.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/27/06 at 12:58:37

Guess Suzuki liked ya'll's idea...cause my 06 has that relay...headlight goes out when starting the bike...really cool...

On the article, it was not worth reading the whole thing...a very opinionated person who did not appear to be well informed.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/27/06 at 13:29:15

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I installed a relay two years ago that cuts off the headlight while starting the bike. Makes sense to reduce the drain on the battery during starting. Got the relay and connectors at Radio Shack, the biggest problem was trying to patch into the stock harness, Suzuki really didn't leave any extra length in the wires to cut and connect to. Totally forgot about it till Smokey02 mentioned it Undecided.

Ed, would you mind starting a separate thread and elaborating on that?  I'd like to do that to my bike as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:18:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Interesting Savage Read...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.