Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Its Alive!! (Read 1 times)
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Its Alive!!
07/23/06 at 18:39:40

I worked on my bike yesterday to try solve the problem the previous owner had with it of fouling plugs, I thoroughly cleaned the carby including removing a bunch of carbon from the carb slide and replaced the old coil with a brand new one as well as putting in an iridium plug and a brand new battery.  She roared to life after a few cranks (with the help of a few sprays of Aerostart) and I took her out.  She had a bit of a miss in her but this was expected as she hadnt been run for 3 years and it seemed to improve as the bike warmed up.  I parked it and put my cousin on for a ride and he went for a decent squirt.  By the time he came back it was singing.  The idle was up a bit when he returned so Ill drop that, and I had the carb breathing straight from the atmosphere so I could spray the Aerostart in there so Ill connect it up to the aribox before I start riding her properly.  

My ques is, when we parked it around the side of the house in the dark and killed all the lights I noticed that that header section of the pipe was glowing red.  Not bright red, but deep red and you could only just see it with the lights off.  Is this normal or is it likely that having it breath straight from atmosphere caused it to burn lean?  My cousin was up it when he was riding it though, blowing the weeds out of it, so this also may have contributed.

Its an 86 with a 155 main, not sure of the pilot.

1986 Savage, 2001 YZ250 (what a bike)
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: Its Alive!!
Reply #1 - 07/23/06 at 18:59:02

My guess would be the super lean condition by not having any air flow restrictions. Lean = heat

WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 07/23/06 at 20:17:46

Yea, that seems like a good guess.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 07/24/06 at 06:06:33

Check your spark plug and see what it has to say about the whole affair?   Smiley
Then put an air filter on it ... always use some kind of filter on the street to keep rocks and weeds out of that wonderful engine.  I understand the brief testing requirements, but otherwise filter it.
After the filter is on go through the step by step tuning/jetting process.  Then you will no longer have the glowing red pipe.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 07/24/06 at 11:49:35

You didn't mention if you have an aftermarket exhaust on the bike, a free flowing muffler along with no air filter will cause the bike to run a lot leaner, easy in/easy out makes the thumper scream and shout Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #5 - 07/24/06 at 14:40:01

Its got a stock muffler at the moment.  I imagine it was mainly because it was breathing unrestricted and my cousin was giving it a flogging.  It sounds like its not the norm though.

Its been raining here ever since I got the bike running , which is just typical cos it hasnt rained in Canberra for god knows how long!  So I have to wait to go for another ride.

IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #6 - 07/30/06 at 21:36:20

Yeah I put the pipe back on that connects the carb to the airbox and its like a different bike.  Starts first crank, rides so much smoother and is quite simply better everywhere.  

Now I have to ride it for a week straight to see if the coil I replaced fixed the plug fouling issue.

IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #7 - 01/15/07 at 13:34:20

Update: Its been 6 months and quite a few tanks of juice since I replaced the coil and the bike hasnt fouled a plug yet, it reads a touch rich but the bike runs well nontheless.  I am mates with the previous owner and he said it used to foul a plug in as little as half a tank, so for now I am going to say problem solved!  Its amazing how electrical problems can emulate carb problems almost perfectly.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 01/15/07 at 15:24:33

cool beans !

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 01/15/07 at 19:07:38

Brendan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Update: Its been 6 months and quite a few tanks of juice since I replaced the coil and the bike hasnt fouled a plug yet, it reads a touch rich but the bike runs well nontheless.  I am mates with the previous owner and he said it used to foul a plug in as little as half a tank, so for now I am going to say problem solved!  Its amazing how electrical problems can emulate carb problems almost perfectly.

maybe - but cleaning up the carb slide is a big winner as well - if it hangs going back down or is too slow about it will sure foul a plug - leaves the mainjet open too much

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:16:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Its Alive!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.