Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Strange rattling sound... (Read 12 times)
HotCarl
Ex Member

Strange rattling sound...
07/19/06 at 23:44:02

I recently had my bike put on a dyno and re-jetted. It runs insanely better, but now there is a strange rattle at a certain rpm, no matter which gear I'm in. I checked for anything loose and I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell it is. It wasn;t there before the mods though. Could it be the valves are out of adjustment now and are making the sound? Any other suggestions?

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Re: Strange rattling sound...
Reply #1 - 07/20/06 at 04:42:10

At what RPM do you hear it?  Does it happen under load (i.e. climbing a hill) as well as when the engine is not under any strain?

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 07/20/06 at 06:01:58

Check the sheet metal, I had a rattle coming from the panel on the left side, only happened when riding. A loose baffle in the muffler can cause a rattle also, I am having that problem with the slashcut muffler I just installed on my '02 Undecided.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 07/20/06 at 08:00:48

The speedo is known for rattling and there are a lot of posts concerning it.  I've also had the headlight rattle before too.  I stuck some wadded plastic inside and it stopped.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/20/06 at 08:35:22

My license plate nearly drove me nutz with a strange rattling before we found it. It only happened at a certain speed.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 07/20/06 at 08:46:52

Is it a rattle or a ticking?  If ticking, it's the valves.

IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/20/06 at 11:57:32

Hmm.. I don't know if it's a ticking, could be very fast ticking... I don't know. Seems more like a rattle. I sounds like it's coming from under me, on the engine. I checked the exhaust and license plate and it's all tight. I'll check the headlight next. It is wierd becuse it ONLY happens at at a certain low RPM in every gear.

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #7 - 07/20/06 at 12:19:58

Does it tick faster or louder when you give it gas or does it remain steady?

Can you reproduce the sound by reving the bike to that RPM while in neutral?

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 07/20/06 at 13:43:19

Use a mechanics stethoscope to listen on the RH side for a the cam chain tensioner being loose. It would clatter more at idle than at higher engine speeds when it is first unable to keep the tension on the chain. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #9 - 07/20/06 at 20:25:49

I have developed a rattle as well. Mine turned out to be the license plate.  While the bolts are tight, the plate has cracked about a 1/3 of the way across the plate from the right to left about an inch from the top. Really annoying till I found it. Now I just need to build a backing plate for it to keep it from flying off. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #10 - 07/21/06 at 10:02:26

My license plate is cracked too, had to bolt on a chromed frame to keep the bottom half of it from falling off.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 07/21/06 at 11:44:55

No cracks yet with my plate but it is getting a bit bent up from changing out a flat twice. Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/21/06 at 16:26:40

I took a piece of Plexiglas to the band saw and cut a backing plate. So far, so good.

IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/21/06 at 21:37:48

I can't reproduce it in neutral, and it only happens at a certain rpm while in motion. I can kind of hold that RPM and the sound will stay somewhat. The cam tensioner chain you think? Hmm, I would have to take it the dealer, I don;t have the tools to or time to fix that. My bike is under warranty though, so I wouldnt have to pay.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 07/22/06 at 00:32:48

If the rev testing at the dyno didn't damage anything serious (doubtful if you have better performance), it's probably o.k.  I can't think of anything they would do to cause scary engine noise otherwise.  Maybe minor things, rattling against something else, (i.e.  speedo housing, electrical connector under tank, speedo cable, etc...)  They didn't hole out your piston, or blow a head gasket, obviously.
I notice different sounds after someone else has ridden my bike for a while,(I'm nuts, I know!)  I don't know if I'm listening different or, if the person's driving style temporarily changes the bikes happy place/rpm.
Anyone else noticed/imagined this?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange rattling sound...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.