Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gas milage (Read 5 times)
Dragon King

IL
gas milage
07/19/06 at 08:40:55

ok after putting on the amal mark II from lancer and putting a 230 main jet in I noticed that I only get about 80 miles before I have to swtichover to reserve. I noticed that most of you get about 50 miles to the gallon. so my question is what do I need to do next?

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Re: gas milage
Reply #1 - 07/19/06 at 10:39:52

I think you've run up against the immovable wall....more power means you use more fuel. From my understanding, the Amal boosts your HP quite a bit....to do that is gonna burn more gas. You might be able to rejet a little leaner, but if it moves more air (in the carb and out the exhaust) it's going to burn more gas too. Still sounds like you're getting around 40 mpg, Lancer might be able to give you some pointers to up that a little bit, but I'd not expect the same mileage as a bone stock Savage gets.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 07/19/06 at 12:06:15

You might also want to watch how you use the twisty thing on the right grip. The more/faster you twist it the lower your gas mileage will be. Wink

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 07/21/06 at 20:36:43

I agree with mornhm; the harder you ride it the less mpg you will get

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #4 - 07/22/06 at 07:53:39

I just do not think the carb is adjusted right. better but not right and I don't know where to go from here. also gas milage has not gotten worse. running stock before any changes was about the same.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 07/22/06 at 17:24:44

Okay here is the shady tree mechanic's experiement. Since I don't have a mean to measure the exhaust's content(HC,CO.....), I do tuning by the smell of the exhaust. If you can still smell the gas in the exhaust(after a 3-5 minutes warm-up), you are still rich. I kept on adjusting until I get the burnt-charcoal smell. This tell me that the majority of the intake mixture is burnt. Not an exact science but I was able to get the most MPG out of the beast.  8)

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 07/24/06 at 07:39:06

i use the exhaust color method, since i dont smell too good  ???,
if the exhaust has black soot, your too rich.
if the exhaust has brown soot, your a little rich, that is where i run my air cooled motors out here.
if the exhaust is light tan/dark white, your just about ideal.
if the exhaust is white/clean, your too lean, and probably have the other lean running issues so common to our bike.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #7 - 07/24/06 at 07:44:01

I think I'am too rich and need to go down in pilot jet size as I think I'am about 3 turns out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:21:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas milage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.