Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeaky belt (Read 5 times)
jotrac

NW Pennsylvania
Squeaky belt
07/19/06 at 04:28:07

I dropped mine - 2000 LS 650 - 13898 miles.  I noticed the belt squeaking and it seemed to be off center and rubbing one of the pulley edges.  Is there an easy way to move the belt?  I am definitely not a mechanic.

IP Logged
Hoggryder
Ex Member

Re: Squeaky belt
Reply #1 - 07/19/06 at 06:29:58

Check to see if the belt guard is damaged, the belt may be rubbing on it.

Belt noise can be caused by an overtight belt.  Have you had the tire replaced or other work done lately?  Many shops (especially stealerships) don't have a lot of experience with belt drives and overtighten.

The belt will normally run to one side, don't worry about it unless it is out of alignment.  Eyeball it from directly behind to check alignment.

Good luck.

IP Logged
jotrac

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - 07/20/06 at 03:48:18

Thanks for the response.  I have only had the MC for 3 months.  I am a new rider and before I dropped it, it wasn't squeaking.  It squeaks when its not running and I have it in neutral and roll it back and forth.  It also squeaks when running but is only obvious at low speeds - probably due to other noise.

I took the cover off the front pulley end and that's why I think it is rubbing at the pulley, but I could be wrong.  I have been riding anyway because I can't see that it is doing any real damage but I am still troubled.  I really like my motorcycle and want it to run right.

I did try to slide my fingers under the belt guard.  It doesn't seem to be rubbing anywhere there.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/21/06 at 01:19:52

Hi, George here - my belt also squeaked from the day I bought it used ('96, 10,000 miles) earlier this summer. Bike does not look dropped in any way. Never having ridden or moved a Harley or such (I own(ed) shaft or chain) I assumed all belt drives did this.

I'll check my guard to ensure no rubbing but wanted to know is it usual to make some/any squeak?

I have not checked the tightness using the tool in the kit (a weekend project looms!) but the belt has some give to it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/21/06 at 07:03:12

Have you checked belt alignment?
The fall may have pushed the rear wheel enough to affect alignment.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:30:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeaky belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.