Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pullbacks vs Flat (Read 26 times)
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Re: Pullbacks vs Flat
Reply #15 - 07/20/06 at 10:38:58

My 2 cents:

Mine came with the pullbacks, and I'm comfortable. I'd vote for sitting on different bikes before spending much money on a different set of bars - unless you've already driven lots and have a perferred style.

Back to the three bears - Mamma, Pappa, & Baby each liked their own bed.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 07/20/06 at 11:26:46

Yeah, I think I spent $40 on the pullback risers, $30 to $35 on the 36" drag bars and about $5 for the BBs I filled the bars with.  Overall, with tax and shipping and such - about $100.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #17 - 07/20/06 at 16:02:57

My 2000 savage came with pullback handle bars and they seem to work pretty well for me.  I must say that since I'm used to the look of the pullback handle bars, the flat ones just look odd to me.  

If apes are the very high handle bars that I've seen some people use, I would imagine my arms getting tired of being so high - but I could be wrong?  Certainly the bikers on OCC seem to like the higher bars.

Do think it comes down to personal preference - and I've only used the one type.

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #18 - 07/21/06 at 01:17:46

Well, here's another $0.02 ... after riding the '05 S40 with the drag bars ans liking it so much, I right away set about rotating my buck-horn bars so that the grips now ride about an inch or so higher than the factory set position ... and it has made a world of difference to the Bikes handling (still not quite as crisp as the S40, but much, much better than before ...). My arms are now a little straighter and my elbows are not as "tucked in" ... makes it easier to countersteer ... and my cornering has improved greatly! Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #19 - 07/21/06 at 06:39:11

Hey Savage_Rob - Since I'm really new to this, can you explain why you filled your bars with BB's and what would happen if you left them hollow?  Appreciate it.  Laurie

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Reply #20 - 07/21/06 at 06:47:50

For the group...

I like the style of the bars on my 2006 S40 and they fit pretty well for the most part, except I really feel they should be about 4 inches wider for me.  Last night I sat on it, slid my hands outward on the grips and I really think I need a wider set of bars.  Anyone know how wide the stock bars are (I shoulda measured last night duh).  I'd like to do some inet shopping today to see what I can find out there.

Also, if I go for wider drag bars, will I need the pullback risers too?  Can anyone tell me what these do for you in the handling department?  i.e. wider drags without pullbacks as opposed to with?  Thanks much!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 07/21/06 at 07:38:03

S40NewYork wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hey Savage_Rob - Since I'm really new to this, can you explain why you filled your bars with BB's and what would happen if you left them hollow?  Appreciate it.  Laurie

I'd heard from some folks that it would reduce vibration.  Recently I've read a number of other posts that say they do fine without it but I think it's making a difference for me.  I filled it with BBs and then sealed them in with epoxy.  Anyway, that's the intent.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #22 - 07/21/06 at 12:10:00

The idea behind loading the handle bars with lead shot or weights is to keep them from resonating at different engine RPMs. The extra weight acts as a dampener to the handle bar. A lot depends on the handle bar length, wall thickness and way it is mounted, way to complicated for me. Plus the weight out on the end of the handle bars act a bit like a tight rope walker's ballancing pole. I've been using a sportster, clubman style handle bar instead of the stock pullbacks. The sportster style has only 2 1/2" rise and just clears the tank. It is also 31 1/2 inches long which makes a big difference with my long gorilla length arms. I disliked the stock pullback bars from the git-go cause of the angle you had to hold your hands, didn't like the fact that I had to bend my wrist at a funny angle. It's all about comfort for the rider and what's good for me might not work for you. Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #23 - 07/25/06 at 21:08:32

I love my 2002 Handle Bars.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #24 - 07/26/06 at 01:23:12

Just yesterday I had an opportunity to sit on an '87 LS650 that had been retro-fitted with the standard Sportster handlebar mounted on the stock shorty buckhorn clamps ... as previous poster stated, at full lock, they just barely clear the tank ... but do they ever feel comfortable! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to Ride this Bike in the near future and I'll be able to compare with the standard bucks and the drag/riser combo!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #25 - 07/26/06 at 07:00:53

i rode debby's '96 home the night we bought it, that was the MOST miserable 7miles on a motorcycle in my life! the stock suzuki pullbacks were wretched! i replaced them with stock harley pullbacks on the stock suzuki risers, that set them at a much more natural feel, flatter and wider. i have a set of phat beach bars on 4" riser on my HD, the width is good for my monkey arms, the risers have digested two sets of mounting grommets (too much leverage from the bars), but they feel good to me. i started riding dirt bikes in the 70's and i'm sure that has influenced what i like to feel, and debby has ridden atv's for 20 years, so that is where her feel comes from. it is a matter of what you get used too.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:16:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pullbacks vs Flat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.