Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pullbacks vs Flat (Read 26 times)
WKD
Ex Member

Pullbacks vs Flat
07/18/06 at 19:32:14

Question for everyone:

What style do you prefer?  Which are more comfortable?  

Comments?

I have an '86 with the stock flat bars and I was thinking of changing them out.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Re: Pullbacks vs Flat
Reply #1 - 07/18/06 at 20:13:33

I've never tried the buckhorn. Prefer flat bars for looks, but the risers are too tall.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 07/18/06 at 22:01:42

I've not tried the flat bars but I like the pull backs.

On the other hand, WD said something along the lines of once you've tried apes you'll never go back.  Just riding along I tried holding my hands about eight inches above my pullbacks and I liked the position.

WWW   IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #3 - 07/19/06 at 01:04:40

I have a 86 with drag bars, I like that style better, but it  is choice only.  to go from pull backs to drag bars, you just need the bar, to go from drag to pull back you must replace all the cables as they are too short for the pullbacks. (open to correction, but this is my understanding) Grin

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 07/19/06 at 02:44:54

Flats on risers.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Al_ironman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/19/06 at 03:51:39

Pullbacks.
Seem to fit me better. And, call me old fashioned, but I just like the look a little better.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/19/06 at 07:19:42

I recently added the 36" wide drag bars with pullback risers and I am truly sold on them.  They are extremely comfortable.  My arms aren't flat at my sides anymore which allows better airflow and comfort all the way around.  Also, the mirrors are set wider and allow for greater adjustment and visibility.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #7 - 07/19/06 at 11:48:42

I have an '06 with the stock drag bars, but recently swapped out for Sportster bars.  I found the stock drag bars a bit short and my hands wanted to be further apart.  I kept finding myself holding on with two fingers on each side.  So far I like the slightly wider HD bars better...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #8 - 07/19/06 at 14:04:57

If I have to choose between the flat or buckhorns...I'd go with buckhorns.  It feels more natural to me.

That being said...

...I prefer my 15" apes.  Maybe a bit less practical.  Definately more of a police magnet.  But roomy feeling.

That and you simply feel cool with apes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #9 - 07/19/06 at 14:26:31

Had the buckhorns on the 2002.  Have the flats on the 2006.  Definitely like the flat bars more.  I do think it is a personal preference kind of thing though.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 07/19/06 at 16:01:09

I recently posted on this very topic in another Thread ... own an '03 LS with the stock bucks and "low" risers ... Rode an '05 S40 with the stock dracks and pull-back risers a few weeks ago ... Night and Day! ... the S40 was more comfortable and handled more "crisply" ... I attributed this to the drag bar/pull-back riser combo of the S40.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

e: Pullbacks vs Flat
Reply #11 - 07/19/06 at 16:57:07

Hi - George the new person really getting in his 2 cents today - (already) replied to mag wheels question!)

Maybe it is because I'm English so I am not big on "buckhorns," "mini-apehangers," call them what you will (though I had them on my first bike when I came to the US - a Harley "clone" - a Honda Shadow). However, never liked the really narrow flat bars "stock" older British bikes are often depicted with either.

My & my wife's used '96 (obviously) came with pullbacks, so I virtually immediately changed them to something more my liking. Don't know brand (cost around $40) as bought from huge catalog in local bike store after holding up a bunch of bars they had in stock against the bike.

If this helps, they are about 31" across (I like the width, though not too much, as I find it really helps with swinging the bike through the turns) They bolt straight on where the pullbacks would go, giving about 3" of lift from their lowest point to the highest at their "reach" (measuring from center to center of the bar).

It gives me a bit of a lean forwards, but not too much, (nothing like straight bars without any risers!!!), putting some weight over the front wheel, which I think does not hurt at all. Have not been on a long distance yet so can't say what it would be like as far as strain on your back (something many proponents of pullbacks state as a reason for their preferences).

Oh - cables/lines do not need changing when going from pullbacks to these bars, though when I order my steel brake line I might get an inch or 2 less - just to neaten things up. However, the metal curved part of the throttle adjustment on the cable did rub on the tank the first time I put the bars on full lock, so I wrapped the bare metal in tape to stop risking scraped paint.

After all is said & done, however, I can agree with another writer - much is up to the individual - I suggest you do as I - go to a store & sit on the bike with various bars to hold (if you are lucky enough to have such an "old style" bike store in your town that does carry parts other than for specific makes/models).

Down the road, as I get better @ replying to this site will try to post picture of the bars on the bike.

IP Logged
Maverick
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Fla. West Coast
Reply #12 - 07/19/06 at 19:45:05

Have an 87, took the drags off put on mini bucks and love the difference.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #13 - 07/19/06 at 19:48:58

I went from buckhorns to stock drag bars and the only change I'll make from here will be if I ever decide to break over the funds for the 16"-18" apes and the cables and hoses. I like the flat bars alot.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 07/20/06 at 01:05:18

Much like the three little bears tale...  I found the pullbacks a little awkward and a strain at high speed to hold myself upright, the drags a bit narrow for turning control.  
I got some used harley dyna bars (much like a 60's flat tracker) and they felt just right.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pullbacks vs Flat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.