Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas pouring out of air cleaner (Read 17 times)
weberick
Ex Member

Gas pouring out of air cleaner
07/15/06 at 13:14:02

I have gas coming back through the breather tube into the air cleaner compartment.

Any clues as to why this might be happening.  I turn the gas on, start the motor with the chock it run as normal and the about 5 seconds out comes fuel down the breather tube from the top of the motor.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Gas pouring out of air cleaner
Reply #1 - 07/15/06 at 14:10:52

Sounds like the carb is flooding.

When you wrote that you "turn the gas on", does that mean that you acutally move the petcock lever before you start the engine?  These motorcycles have vacuum operated petcocks that turn off when the engine stops. So you shouldn't need to "turn the gas on".  

Any chance you're turning the petcock to the "PRI" setting?

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/15/06 at 15:05:20

I think I am turning it PRI.  That was the only setting I seem to get gas out of.  But if it is vacum feed that may be the problem.  So what position should it remain on. and please tell me what the 3 postition mean.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 07/15/06 at 15:11:37

weberick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I think I am turning it PRI.  That was the only setting I seem to get gas out of.  But if it is vacum feed that may be the problem.  So what position should it remain on. and please tell me what the 3 postition mean.

The farthest clockwise turn is reserve.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/15/06 at 15:20:49

Changed the setting and still gas POURING out of the air cleaner compartment from the breather hose.

IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/06 at 15:23:25

I have tried the handle either @ 9:00 o'clock or 3:00.  I'm assuming the 6:00 position is off.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 07/15/06 at 20:37:23

there is no off .. handle straight down (6) is on, to the front of the bike(9) is reserve, to the rear(3) is prime..
good luck!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 07/15/06 at 21:28:53

Thumperclone is right.  The long part of the valve "handle" should be pointing straight down. On my Savage, I think this is labelled "FUEL".  Forward is "RES" and back is "PRI".

If you disconnect the gasline at the carb with the handle poited straight down, the flow of gas should stop.  If you then crank the engine, the flow will start.  

I understand that the petcock can fail.  I have no experience with that failure, but you might do a search for that.

Good Luck

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/16/06 at 00:08:05

Yes!  Pet-thingy Can fail!  I bought mine in bad running condition and it took me 2 months to figure it out.
To test if pet is bad, check for gas in the carb vacuum line (back of pet to right side of carb, usually smaller diameter than fuel line and chrome spring covered).  Or cap both ends at carb and pet-thingy and set pet to prime.
If that is the problem, It's a $50.00 rebuild kit or a clever conversion to reserve-on-off from the tech section.  (Many thanks to bobo383 for posting it!
)http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1113631600

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/16/06 at 09:38:05

Because I had taken off the tank to check the float in the carb, the tank is just setting on the bike in a test mode.  The vacum tube is not connected at this time which doesn't seem to make any difference with regard to my problem, gas pouring out of the breather tube either way.  Would any of the screws on the carb have any effect on this.  I had drilled out the plug in the one screw and made some adjustments as mentioned to stop the poping.  The screw is set now all the way in and the bike was running, what I thought was fine.  One day I parked the bike after a ride and the next day I started the bike and gas everwhere.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 07/16/06 at 20:01:38

in addition to a not sealing very good float valve - sounds like the petc0ck has failed - when it does this gasoline goes both directions - into the air intake and onto the piston - change your oil as likely you now have too much - some of it gas - you will fry your bearings otherwise -  

IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/16/06 at 20:21:07

The gas is coming back into the air cleaner from the breather tube that originates at the top of the head.

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/16/06 at 21:51:00

Undecided is the whole engine full of gas all the way up to the valve covers?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 07/17/06 at 05:10:20

wow - dont believe I'd start that!

IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/17/06 at 07:06:48

I can start the bike and it runs. I've been testing and the bike will start up and run as long as you have bucket to catch the fuel coming out of the air cleaner.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:24:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas pouring out of air cleaner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.