Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fouling Plugs (Read 5 times)
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Fouling Plugs
07/13/06 at 04:26:33

Hi Guys,  I just picked up my bike today and havent had a chance to pull it apart yet but I need to because it is fouling plugs.  The guy I bought it off is a mate of my dads, he rode it for a year without problem then one day out of the blue it started fouling plugs.  Any idea what would be causing this?  I assume its not the jets as the bike ran perfectly for the first year he had it with stock jets. (155 main, 86 model)

I noticed these carbs have a big diaphragm in them, whats that for?

Lastly, I understand some of you guys put aftermarket carbs on, what choices do I have there and whats it going to cost me?

Many Thanks,

Brendan

1986 Savage, 2001 YZ250 (what a bike)
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Fouling Plugs
Reply #1 - 07/13/06 at 06:20:23

fouling is typically oil, how many miles on the bike? did it sit for a while? i've had old fuel do some pretty ugly stuff. is it fouling new plugs? or used plugs?

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 07/13/06 at 09:41:56

Start ny cleaning out the carb & replacing the plug.  Then check that you are getting spark.  When I was fouling plugs all the time, it was the coil that was bad for me.

IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #3 - 07/13/06 at 14:57:45

I havent even started it yet, but for the other guy it started fouling the plugs overnight....i.e he didnt leave it over winter or anything.

The coil sounds like a hot tip....I was doubtful that a carb could break overnight like that.  Are you talking about the ignition coil or the stator windings in the motor...I assume ignition.

P.S for electrical parts for bikes visit electrexworld (search for them), they are in the UK and there web site is pretty good.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 07/13/06 at 15:16:15

part 9 broke on me.  $70...

savage electrical

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 07/14/06 at 05:23:14

If your coil checks out ok then you could try an iridium plug, NGK DPR8EIX-9 or Denso IX24B.

Even if you do replace the coil the plugs are still worth a look.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #6 - 07/14/06 at 08:22:32

BTW, how often are you supposed to change plugs?

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #7 - 07/16/06 at 17:02:19

Yeah part nine, thats the one....the HT coil.  Electrexworld got back to me really quickly, they have a coil that will suit...now Im just waiting on a price.  Im going to get that ordered, and then clean out the carb etc and I do plan on using one of these iridium plugs, they sound like they could be great.  Im keen to get this thing going, cant wait to go for a ride.

In my expreience the ignition systems in bikes are the weakest link, plus when your spark is playing up it can cause a really wide range of symptoms which can be confusing.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 07/16/06 at 19:07:32

Just went thru this with my Mazda MPV, started running bad on a rainy 500 mile trip.  turned out the coil went bad, causing the 6th plug to foul.  Good luck with the fix.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fouling Plugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.