Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Service problems I have just run into!? (Read 4 times)
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Service problems I have just run into!?
07/11/06 at 16:25:42

I spent this afternoon servicing my savage at last 'cos the boss was away and the garage was all mine!! Grin Started by putting on new Carbone Lorraine brake pads and bled and fully cleaned the front caliper. Eventually got it all back working the way it should on my '93 Savage. Smiley

Then I dropped the tank and tightened the speedo cluster. So far so good. Wink

Next I had a look inside the carb but couldn't loosen both of the 2 tiny little screws that are inside the needle mount. 1 screw eventually came off but the other is now rounded.  :'( This means I can't get underneath to inspect the white spacer. Any suggestions on loosening the other screw? Help Shocked

Lastly I changed the engine oil. Old stuff that came out was black. I put in 2 litres of Synthetic 4-stroke Castrol 10w40 (wine coloured oil) Is this the wrong type. Bike won't start now and Clucth lever is very stiff to pull in? Have I overfilled the crankcase? What is the solution to this problem? Sight glass reads just above middle when the bike is balanced straight upright. (i.e. off sidestand)

Thanks a million guys and keep up the good advice.
It felt great to nearly have the savage road ready at last, just waiting for new tires & tubes to be fitted next.

Tomohawk, Dublin, Ireland.

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Re: Service problems I have just run into!?
Reply #1 - 07/11/06 at 17:14:25

Getting out a rounded screw is tough.  You can sometimes use a small cold chisel to carefully hammer in a notch on the screw head that a flathead screwdriver will fit.  Use a lot of penetrating oil on it before attempting to remove.

As for the oil, that sounds odd.  New oil wouldn't make the clutch hard to pull like that.  I think 2 litres is about right without a filter change.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 07/11/06 at 17:22:00

enophile wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Getting out a rounded screw is tough.  You can sometimes use a small cold chisel to carefully hammer in a notch on the screw head that a flathead screwdriver will fit.  Use a lot of penetrating oil on it before attempting to remove.

As for the oil, that sounds odd.  New oil wouldn't make the clutch hard to pull like that.  I think 2 litres is about right without a filter change.

needlenose vice grips work quicker.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/11/06 at 17:25:13

Yep, forgot to mention no filter change yet, and the stiff clutch lever suggests too much engine oil in the crank case, any other suggestions? Plus the bike wont start now. I had the fuel line removed at the petcokk thing when removing the tank to tighten speedo cluster. Is there something about a fuel vacumm or an issue with the carb not sucking in fuel after this procedure?  ???

When should I use the "pri" setting on the petcokk thing? Should I open choke out when at the "pri" setting or use wide open throttle also?

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #4 - 07/11/06 at 17:51:15

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
needlenose vice grips work quicker.

True, if it isn't countersunk.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 07/11/06 at 20:36:12

Tomohawk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Yep, forgot to mention no filter change yet, and the stiff clutch lever suggests too much engine oil in the crank case, any other suggestions? Plus the bike wont start now. I had the fuel line removed at the petcokk thing when removing the tank to tighten speedo cluster. Is there something about a fuel vacumm or an issue with the carb not sucking in fuel after this procedure?  ???

When should I use the "pri" setting on the petcokk thing? Should I open choke out when at the "pri" setting or use wide open throttle also?

flip it to pri for a bit to re-fill the bowl after you drain it - let's gas run through the petc0ck without vac

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 07/12/06 at 02:17:42

You did not switch the fuel- and vacuum hoses?
Check again and follow Reelthings suggestion to fill the bowl.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/12/06 at 06:02:35

I went and checked and there a spark at the sparkplug. That rules that out!

Next we drained the float bowl halfway and then closed the nut underneath it. Battery is being recharged now as its given up the ghost, its only a month old so will be OK once its charged up again.

Turned airscrew all the way inwards and then took it out 1.5 turns. Is this the correct setting? My boss thinks the problem may be water in the carb from when I washed the needle unit yesterday in the garage sink. That or air getting in 'cos it aint seated back into the carb top and closed properly.

What do you think? I have a fuel filter inline between petcokk and carb. I trimmed a tiny bit off yesterday 'cos the garage I bought the bike in had installed it and put too much rubber tube on with the result that there was a slight kink in it. Now its straight and will help fuel flow better I imagine  ???

Where is the "vac"? How does it work?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 07/12/06 at 06:09:35

For the stiff clutch action ... check to make sure that the cable was not kinked or squeezed during your other maintenance activities.

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/12/06 at 08:44:16

The vacuum line comes off the petcokk and goes to the carb, to allow fuel to flow.

IP Logged
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/12/06 at 17:16:19

Finally got the bike running. Set the petcokk to "pri" for a while and then put the recharged battery back in. I think there was a airgap from when I disconnect the petrol tank previously. Anyway when I got the little beauty running, I adjusted the throttle idle, and also unscrewed out the air mixture screw and that did the trick. Bike still takes a while to warm up before I can put the choke in.

I noticed that the Bike has to be set to "reserve" to run properly and then to "on" when I park her up for the night or else fuel comes out underneath from the overflow tubes if I leave it set at "reserve". I guess the petcokk isn't working as it should but this procedure seems to work! Smiley anyone else have this issue?

I noticed my front indicator wasn't flashing with the speedo cluster indicator light set to "on" constantly. Had a look at the wiring and the front indicator wiring was broken. Then the left indicator did the same. I've now taken off both the front indicators temporarily. How hard is it to wire up end-of-bar indicators? Where does the wiring run? into the headlight unit? Will I have to buy new hollow bars (was planning to anyway) ???

thanks again!!

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 07/13/06 at 03:42:23

Tomohawk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
How hard is it to wire up end-of-bar indicators? Where does the wiring run? into the headlight unit? Will I have to buy new hollow bars (was planning to anyway) ???

thanks again!!

No, its not difficult to attach the barend blinkers.

This is what I did:
Open-up the LH switch housing. In the middle there's the slider for the blinkers , 2 lightblue wires are the supply from the blinker unit ( in the loom they are connected.

Just 1/4" down are the supply to the LH and RH blinkers ( brown and light green I believe)

Solder 2 wires at those points.
Drill a 1/4 " hole in the handlebar, deburr and put a plastic or rubber grommet in the hole.
Feed the wires through , one to the left and one to the right offcourse.

Connect the barendblinkers (BEB).
In the headlight disconnect the FWD blinkers and the wires, leave the supplywires in the HL.

You might need an extra mass wire, take that from inside the HL and connect to/under the castelated nut of the riser.

Sorry, I only took pictures of the finished installation:

Any more questions about the installation, jus ask me.

Regards
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #12 - 07/13/06 at 06:02:12

Kropatchek, nice mirrors.  I've been thinking about replacing mine and have been looking at some in catalogs.  It's always nice to see how they look installed.

IP Logged
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/13/06 at 15:19:50

Kropatchek, thanks for the cool and readable info on doing a BEB install!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:17:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Service problems I have just run into!?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.