Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bicycle trip meter on S40 (Read 20 times)
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Bicycle trip meter on S40
07/10/06 at 13:40:16

I'll try to get this message typed before my computer goes south again.

I just installed a bicycle trip meter on my 05 S40.  The system consists of a magnet (mounted on the front brake disk), a wand-like pickup (mounted on the fork leg) and a small computer/readout device (mounted on the handlebar in the center.

The main trick is to get all the info into the computer so that the readout is accurate.  The essential part is to get the circumference entered so the computer knows how far you travel with each revolution of the front wheel.  You can either mark a spot on the garage floor, roll the bike forward until the tire has made one turn and measure the distance between the two spots, or measure the diameter of the wheel and tire and go back to geometry 101 and do the math.  Once that number is in, the rest is fairly straightforward.

My first trial run showed the readout to be way off from that of my speedo, so it was back to the drawing board.  I had obviously entered an incorrect calculation.  I got it right the next time and now the readout device and my speedo are virtually identical.  I can now reset the readout to 0 each time I fill up and can keep an eye on my mileage so I don't run out of gas.  Cost of this rig was under $20.00.  I bought mine at a rather high end sport shop and I'll bet it would be much cheaper at Wal-Mart or some place like that.  The computer/readout device has many things it will tell you, but I was primarily interested in the didtance traveled between fill-ups.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Re: Bicycle trip meter on S40
Reply #1 - 07/10/06 at 18:03:51

Thanx for sharing that Jack.  I will check at wal mart and see if i can find one...have just been writing down my mileage when i fill up and pray i don't lose the numbers...thanx again...

IP Logged
Ronimac
YaBB Newbies

wide load ahead !

Twin Falls , Idaho
Reply #2 - 07/10/06 at 20:28:44

I use a Garmin Etrex GPS unit.  It cost about $100 and gives you more info than you probably need, The handlebar mount they sell works great.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 07/11/06 at 04:31:14

Nice work Jack. I have the Sigma installed 2 years ago and it's still working.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #4 - 07/11/06 at 09:27:30

is it easily removable?  

Here in az I know if you leave anything like that in the sun its black when you come back and look at it.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 07/11/06 at 12:56:30

luken wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
is it easily removable?  

Here in az I know if you leave anything like that in the sun its black when you come back and look at it.  

Yes.
It slides outoff its holder so you can put it in your pocket and forget to put it back which you realize miles later.

Greetz
Kropatchek Embarrassed

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #6 - 07/11/06 at 13:59:28

Kropatchak - Nice installation!  I like the looks of your pick-up unit better than mine which is a fork mounted wand.  I used both the sticky back pad plus a couple of thin zip ties to secure it.   Not a smooth as yours, but it seems to work very well.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
iKrayg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/11/06 at 18:51:20

I just put a Sigma BC 906 on my S40 last week.  Works great!  I saw an article online somewhere that said the Sigmas are rated for 100 MPH and that a lot of the others are only rated for around 50 MPH since bicycle are slower.  I found the 906 for $26 at a local bicycle shop.  I considered getting a Cateye wireless bike computer but the transmitter only had a 70 mm range, too shot.  The Sigma also came with a longer wire.  
I used epoxy to hold a rare earth magnet on the rim (next to the air stem) and tie wrapped the pickup to the bracket that holds the front brake line on the back side of the fork.  It's barely visible.  Front wheel circumference was 2,007 mm.  The other cool thing about the Sigmas is that they are silver in color so they match the clutch and brake lever housings.

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #8 - 07/11/06 at 19:38:48

Like the idea of the silver color.  I just bought the first one I came to, so I have a black colored system.  Works well, though.

Jack H.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:26:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bicycle trip meter on S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.