Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
*&*%$* Flat Tire
07/09/06 at 14:06:35

Two weeks ago I had the local dealer mount and ballance a new M880 rear tire for my '02. Got out for a short 25 mile ride last week and all was well, felt good, handled nice. Went out for a longer ride today and 35 miles into the ride WTF? a flat rear tire. Luckly for me there was no problems, the tire went flat, the ride felt rough so I pulled over with no trouble. The tough part was getting the bike home, ended up strapping the rear end of the bike onto one of those carriers  that fit into a square receiver and towed it home on it's front tire, real half a*sed but it worked. Got the back end of the bike in the air and checked the tire, no nails or punctures that I can see so I'm thinking that the dealer screwed up the installation. He11 if I wanted a tire to go flat that fast I could of done it myself and saved $35.00. Now it's back to the dealer for another new tube. Should I trust these monkeys with hammers to do the job right or just go out and get a good set of tire irons and some gorilla snot. I know that I can't prove that the dealer installed the tire wrong BUT a flat after only 60 miles of riding sets off a lot of alarms about the job. What do you all think? I know sh1t happens but stupidity rules the world

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: *&*%$* Flat Tire
Reply #1 - 07/09/06 at 14:13:29

You can't prove nothing, but when a dealer doesn't stand behind their work I never go back.

WWW   IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/09/06 at 16:02:34

Did you check your air pressure before riding today?

IP Logged
zbiker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/09/06 at 17:20:06

You can do it yourself wich is not that difficult, if you don`t want to get your hands dirty you can have it done for you but make sure to inspect the other tube, offenly when the tube is installed and inflated the valve get`s squeased in the rim and cut off afterward. Also have your rim check  if there is a spoke sticking to much it migth  pierce the new tube, usually there is some kind of rubber protector for this,if it`s no good have it replaced. Or it could be simply bad luck and the tube was faulty to start with. A little advice here, never try to patch up a motorcycle tube because they heat up to much and the patch will not last for long.  Wink

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 07/09/06 at 19:03:09

Yeah I checked the air pressure before the ride, was at 32psi, same as last week. Wonder if they put too big a tube in it and it pinched on it's self. Guess I was lucky, was riding at 80mph for a while, could of been a real mess at that speed. Got the rim and tire off the bike, couldn't find any nails or debris in it. Still think the dealer twisted the tube during installation, can't prove it so need to let it pass. I would change out the tube myself but tubes and I really don't get along together, have a bad habit of putting holes in them.
  While wrenching on the bike I swapped out the sporty muffler for a Harley slash cut, sounds much louder in the garage, should be just right on the road.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 07/09/06 at 19:29:59

Im very happy with my slash cut. Single baffle like single cylinders rule.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/10/06 at 14:08:09

If there is no nails holes or anything in the tire the person that put the tire on should make it good!  Undecided

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 07/11/06 at 12:15:02

Just got back form the dealer, they pinched the inner tube which caused the flat. They put a new tube in and ballanced it for free. Wished it hadn't of happened but beside a little inconvience and a some sweat no real harm was done. I did learn how to tow a bike home safely on one tire, I'll post some pictures of the rig I used later.

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/11/06 at 14:00:13

Wink I thought they would do the right thing and make it good   Grin

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #9 - 07/11/06 at 14:57:36

I once had someone tow me (on my old '76 CB750) with a tow rope.  Being the towee, I had to be the brakes for the tower, which was a 3/4-ton truck, to keep the tow rope tight.  Scary and stupid and I will never do that again (I was younger and more insane then.)

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 07/13/06 at 02:40:33

Towed my mates FJ1100 once with my Z550LTD.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › *&*%$* Flat Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.