Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The modification continues! Re-jet, K&N, etc. (Read 3 times)
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
The modification continues! Re-jet, K&N, etc.
07/08/06 at 16:03:13

Zook got her K&N drop-in today. Along with a de-snorkel and a re-jet to 152.5 main jetting.

Also installed my new front signals, to match the rears I put on months ago now. Long overdue, makes the bike really tight looking from the front, which was the idea. Drag Specialties "Custom Bullet Marker Lights" I believe is what they're called in the catalogs. Rather small, but just big enough to be legal. Sharp, old-school bullet-shaped lights.

She seems to be running like a whipped pup. Thank God for this site to show me how. K&N was simple enough. De-snorkel was just a pair of needlenose pliers and a hearty yank upwards. The re-jet was a bit more tricky. Revealed a stripped out housing for the carb bowl drain plug. When I unscrewed it to drain out the gas, the threads from inside the bowl came out with it. Re-tapped thanks to my stepfather and his multitude of tools, inserted a new (and non-metric, by the way  Shocked ) bolt in its place, and it isn't leaking. Yippee for home-fashioned repairs. There's no option to just buy a carb bowl through the local dealer. Imagine that.

Also removed some of the baffling on the old Honda CB500T can. It no longer has the annoying rattle it used to have, thank goodness.

Anyway, the winter season will bring on a change to S40 bars and risers as well as perhaps the dual-headlight I've talked so long about doing. Would like to experiment with the oil cooler ideas we've discussed here, but can't be arsed with my liimted funds to toy around with the reliability of the bike.

Stepfather says today, "You know, one day you'll want a new one."

And I thought real hard and said, after a lenghty pause, "but I might keep this one no matter what."

The Zook has spoilt me on singles. I will forever love single-cylinder bikes. And if indeed I do lust after another bike to have one day, I'd say it's the BMW F650-- also a 650cc single. Maybe one day I'll be rolling in funds and I can buy the Beemer to ride daily, while I chop on the Zook in my spare time and make a true minimalist chopper out of it. I've been thinking, as few parts as possible would be awesome to do. No fenders, side covers, airbox, etc.

But, in summation, what a day! I love my Zook.

Regards,
Banger
======

WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: The modification continues! Re-jet, K&N, e
Reply #1 - 07/08/06 at 18:12:01

Glad your mods went well.  Got some future plans?? The F650 chain gang site is excellent. I really enjoyed the trouble shooting tables. They were very well done, IMHO.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/09/06 at 00:52:47

I had the same problem with my carb bowl.  I just used a rubber washer and a larger bolt (cut down to size).  I know u can order a new carb bowl from www.ronayers.com  if its for the savage.  I wasnt sure which bike u were talking about when u mentioned the 550 muffler.  I also loved the bullet lights myself but I decided to just get clear lens for all 4 turn signals and the rear brake.  It was a great look for her before I sold her.  

I almost kinda miss her in a way.  But I cant deny that I would not want another one.   I enjoyed it while it lasted but she just wasnt built for safe highway handling.  I need speed and singles arent designed for dat.

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #3 - 07/09/06 at 05:51:53

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I had the same problem with my carb bowl.  I just used a rubber washer and a larger bolt (cut down to size).  I know u can order a new carb bowl from www.ronayers.com  if its for the savage.  I wasnt sure which bike u were talking about when u mentioned the 550 muffler.  I also loved the bullet lights myself but I decided to just get clear lens for all 4 turn signals and the rear brake.  It was a great look for her before I sold her.  

I almost kinda miss her in a way.  But I cant deny that I would not want another one.   I enjoyed it while it lasted but she just wasnt built for safe highway handling.  I need speed and singles arent designed for dat.

Well, to quote the stepfather, Zook is now running like a "Raped Ape." All my miles are highway miles at 65 mph or better, and no problems so far with 14,500 on the clock. Have had her up to 87 or so (even before the K&N and these modifications were done), which is about as fast as I hope I'll ever need to go anyway.

The muffler on my bike came from a 1975 Honda CB500T. Good looking old bikes, those, but they're very rare and parts are hard to source. I had one, which the parents intended to be my learner bike through high school, but it would never run right because the cam chain followers and tensioner had been knackered due to mis-adjusted timing earlier in the bike's life. So when I started chopping on the Savage and customizing, I took the mirrors and the pipe from the twin-cylinder Honda and used them sort of "in memory" of the spent 500T. The pipe sounds good, and bolts right up to the Savage, too. I'll have to get pictures of the pipe on the Savage, but if you Google Honda CB500T and look for the '70s bikes, I'm sure you'll find that.

Future plans, Brew, go to the S40 handlebars and possibly an S40 seat to clean up the looks a bit and improve comfort. I'd really like to hollow out the 500T muffler even more, see how she sounds opened up real good, but dunno if I'll go there. That dual-headlight mod will be the trickiest. I'm thinking if I could just find a couple of junker lights from the same model bike, fabricate a bracket and bolt them up. at 55w, they shouldn't drain the battery, but two 65w lights would probably be pushing it. Thus, perhaps I'd have one for low beams, two for high beams. Like they do in Europe.

Regards,
Banger
======

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/09/06 at 06:04:55

Speed is relative.  Since most hiways are limited to about 70mph, there is only so much speed that is really usable.  If you go with a rocket bike, then in reality you will only be able to use about 1/2 of it's capability on most days.  You can certainly accelerate hard for a short distance for a few seconds ... that would be a real thrill for those few seconds ... but then you have to back off as the traffic ahead quickly gets close to your front tire.  
To each his own.  I like the torque characteristics of the big single ...  I like lots of usable torque.  I like tractors ...lots of torque there.  Anyway, my Savage accelerates quite nicely and goes fast enough for me.
I have flown enough jets, turbine powered props and helicopters that I do not need to ride a bike that feels like a turbine powered machine.  I like to feel the thumps.

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/09/06 at 06:56:13

torque is fun!!that chugg a chugg(<tractor sound) up a winding mountain road or the kicked back purr out on the farm roads,farmers lokin to see whos tractor is goin down the road...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #6 - 07/11/06 at 04:43:16

Well, I've had a couple days to commute back and forth to work down the local divided highway (65 mph) and I can officially say the running is much improved.

Midrange throttle response is phenomenal now, and Zook has no problems with trying to convince me to do extra-legal speeds. Followed a speeding car yesterday at 81 mph for a short time, and still had twist in the grip. I hypothesize she'll now hit the ton quite easily. Not that I'll try it, mind you.

All in all, I'd say the 152.5 main jet and the K&N filter really opens up the soul of the bike. This is the soul of all those old thumpers from the '50s and '60s-- the roaring British singles were among the baddest bikes of their day. Let your Savage breathe, give her a little bit larger straw to drink through, and you unleash a much-improved beast. You'll have no problems keeping up with the local wannabes, be they Harleys or Hondas.

But then, I never really had trouble with that to begin with. Maybe they will  be trying to keep up with me now!  Grin

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:24:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The modification continues! Re-jet, K&N, etc.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.